Frog Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Frog Rod

Post by russ57 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:06 pm

So I purchased a 72H Poison Adrena recently, originally intending it to be for frogs. It feels way too soft for that to me, and is going to be my texas rig/smaller jig rod.

I also bought and sold a 76H Expride because I found it too tip heavy.

Consequently, I need a new frog rod.

I am looking at:

Levante Pefect Pitch(when new one is released)
Expride 72H (better balance, more power then Adrena)
Dobyns 735(Champion or sierra)
Poison Adrena 74H
Valkyrie 72H(Not super keen on spending that much)
ALX ZOLO Toadface

Want something with good balance and tip for throwing exclusively 1/2 ounce frogs, generally in sparse cover.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Frog Rod

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:09 pm

So, I’m not the only one to have this opinion of the rod. I felt it was too soft for bottom contact even. However, I found I liked it for chatterbaits.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:28 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:09 pm
So, I’m not the only one to have this opinion of the rod. I felt it was too soft for bottom contact even. However, I found I liked it for chatterbaits.
The Adrena 72H?

To me it feels comparable in power to my 72MH Expride

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:47 pm

russ57 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:28 pm
Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:09 pm
The Adrena 72H?

To me it feels comparable in power to my 72MH Expride
I’ve never owned an expride; but yes I would suspect that the 72h adrena would measure out among an average of MH heavy rods. It shows it’s power under full load deeper in the blank, but it takes a ways to get there. It made it cumbersome for me to work a bait over the top of grass with it. But I find it’s well suited for a chatterbait in that the soft tip absorbs the strike and the hook is set almost automatically as you reel into the deeper power of the rod’s blank.

Amongst your suggested choices; I’d go with the dobyns. If you can get a deal on Kistler Helium 7 in a heavy power (I like a 7.6 for frogs) it would be worth a look in my opinion.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:23 pm

russ57 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:06 pm
So I purchased a 72H Poison Adrena recently, originally intending it to be for frogs. It feels way too soft for that to me, and is going to be my texas rig/smaller jig rod.

I also bought and sold a 76H Expride because I found it too tip heavy.

Consequently, I need a new frog rod.

I am looking at:

Levante Pefect Pitch(when new one is released)
Expride 72H (better balance, more power then Adrena)
Dobyns 735(Champion or sierra)
Poison Adrena 74H
Valkyrie 72H(Not super keen on spending that much)
ALX ZOLO Toadface

Want something with good balance and tip for throwing exclusively 1/2 ounce frogs, generally in sparse cover.
What you have discovered is the same as many. Someone posted a link to the JDM chart that listed it intended purpose, of which I certainly agree its plenty powerful for trigs and light jigs, even football jigs. I've not used it for Chatterbaits and if i can't help you with the right rod, i can certainly tell you to wrong rod. The 74 Adrena from my understanding is not the rod for frogs, neither is the Valkyrie. The Expride from all that I have read on them are numb. Yes they have sensitivity but even a rod can transmit vibration if you hit it hard enough..While you may argue that your not looking for sensitivity in a frog rod, It is most likely that your frog rod will double as something else. I would look for a used XBD rod and that should suit your need but of the line up you have listed I can't say too much except try looking at used rods as well as new when you find something that meets your likes.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:26 pm

Dobyns 735c fits the bill. I don’t have any experience with the others you mentioned but that 735c is great for jigs and frogs.
There are no strangers in the Brotherhood of Fishermen.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:04 pm

MaxZmus wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:26 pm
Dobyns 735c fits the bill. I don’t have any experience with the others you mentioned but that 735c is great for jigs and frogs.
How light is the tip?

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mthao105 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:56 pm

The Dobyns Champ 735c would be a good frog rod. Has a light enough tip where you can toss and work frogs well. Also has enough power in my opinion. Sensitivity won't be as good as the expride, but still enough for me.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:26 pm

I would pass on the dobyns.

For 1/2oz frogs in sparse cover I would look at the 72H Expride. The 73XH is also good and is a meat stick if you get into the thicker stuff. Balance is great on the 72H as well.

Also something to consider a your budget. If money is no object the Daiwa Steez AGS 74XH is a great rod for frogs and an awesome rod all around for contact baits, and even light punching. Love this rod.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:59 pm

I am partial to the Levante perfect Pitch. It just has that right "feel" for slinging a frog. I think the 7' 2" size is perfect as well for most froggin'. I would hold tight just a bit longer if you can as I think people will like the new Levantes quite a bit.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:08 pm

If you thought it was too soft, I doubt the 7'2H Expride would be stiff enough for you. Just get the 7'3XH... it comes highly recommended for frogging from the homies at TBassin. :) I got mine over BF and yes, it is a fairly stiff rod, but it is impressively balanced with a Bantam. It is my longest rod AND my most well-balanced which is crazy to me. I am looking forward to frogging and flipping with it this summer.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:14 pm

bwjay wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:08 pm
If you thought it was too soft, I doubt the 7'2H Expride would be stiff enough for you. Just get the 7'3XH... it comes highly recommended for frogging from the homies at TBassin. :) I got mine over BF and yes, it is a fairly stiff rod, but it is impressively balanced with a Bantam. It is my longest rod AND my most well-balanced which is crazy to me. I am looking forward to frogging and flipping with it this summer.
Nothing against TB, but as we say in my world "consider the source".
Sometimes they skew the lines on products especially when they are sponsored by them. Sometimes not all
but a couple of guys on here have had to reiterate to me the same thing on a few things I've nearly pulled the trigger on.
That being said, the expride jerk bait rod isn't as good as they make it out to be.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:22 pm

M Perry wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:59 pm
I am partial to the Levante perfect Pitch. It just has that right "feel" for slinging a frog. I think the 7' 2" size is perfect as well for most froggin'. I would hold tight just a bit longer if you can as I think people will like the new Levantes quite a bit.
True I think I'll do that. Tbh I don't especially care for Dobyns and I own no megabass at the moment, but have an Adrena, and 3 other Exprides. Everyone always raves about the PP. I hate to ask, but do you know if it is the same rod or a redesign?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:53 pm

In your price range I’d also consider the Powell Max 735.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:24 pm

Rn waiting on Levante Perfect Pitch, Expride 72H second choice if have to wait too long.