Sensitive jig rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Sensitive jig rod

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:16 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:07 am
goldrod wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:28 am
russ57 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:22 am
goldrod wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:30 am
russ57 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:01 pm
Can't speak to the 74 since I haven't handled it.

I got the 72 in today and pitched a jig around my apartment some. Sensitivity is very impressive and the handle gives the whole setup a very connected feel which is hard to describe but very unique, at least among the rods I have used. The taper is very regular and the rod loads really deeply into the blank. IMO that is a good thing since a deep load will keep the fish finned on a jig. It is definetly not as powerful as a 76H expride.

For frog fishing I may need to go up to the 74H model though, honestly. I may order it from TW to check out the taper, if it seems too stiff I can send it back.

Exactly my point. The 7’2” for me is 3/8 jigs but definitely NOT 1/2 IMHO
I’m not sure about the 7’4” and that’s what I’m waiting to find out. To the OP yes the bottom contact is what you want but when considering the price point you mentioned H3 Kistler rod is pretty good especially if you get it used.
I’d stay away from the 7’2” poison Adrena for what you intended to do. Maybe it’s just me but I’m more of an old IMX 844 type when it comes to jigs
I just like that type of feel and rigidity. Another stick is the St. croix legend e. Rod. I have mine paired with the Antares reel and is like the two are made for each other. Just gives you that connected feel especially with floro.
Lastly a used gambler is a wonderful choice
Sounds good, you were definitely right about it being a great texas rig rod in any case. Let us know about the 74H when you can.
I wish that the poison Adrena had the power of the old gen one cumara and the sensitivity, balance and lightness of the new model.
If I get my hands on a 7’4” I’ll definitely let you know

I didn’t read where he said 1/2oz jig but for me that jig is too much and I understand that there are different types of half ounce jigs.
Everyone is different so my humble is just a different spin which is why I tried to describe what I like in a jig rod. From what I read in his post it further aligns with my thoughts especially when he gets on the water and fishes cover or grass.
The easiest thing to do to end all of this is just get a bottom contact rod and be done with it. It’s by far the gem of jig rods.
The new st. Croix rods may have one in the line up that could be a contender as well. Some people speak highly about the Expride line up but after my 6’10” rod I don’t want another just personal preference.

Sorry for any confusion

Ended up pulling the trigger on a steez bottom contact. Couldn't handle not knowing what I was missing. Hope it's as good as everything I've been reading about it.
Contrats chrisg! I'm sure it's a great rod and if it's your first high end rod there is no reason to think you would be disapointed. Always best to temper expectations based on retailer or fanboy "in my hands" perspective. There are a handful of people on this board with no brand loyalty, or skin in the game who own and use a wide variety of high end gear. That is where you'll find the most unbiased hands.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:10 am

That’s a great rod, congrats on a nice addition. The high end Steez rods with the AGS guides are really awesome. Also I’d much rather have a $100 reel on a $500 rod than the other way around myself. By far. If anything usually the heavier “cheaper” reels balance a lot of these high end rods out better. Fish whatever you like/want that fits your budget and interest level.

I’ll echo the comments about considering the source of some reviews/recommendations and just remember the ages 2+ snoopy pole is probably going to end up catching the next world record instead of the person collecting mountains of $1000+ combos because if nothing else, the fish gods have a great sense of humor.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:46 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:16 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:07 am
goldrod wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:28 am
russ57 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:22 am
goldrod wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:30 am

Exactly my point. The 7’2” for me is 3/8 jigs but definitely NOT 1/2 IMHO
I’m not sure about the 7’4” and that’s what I’m waiting to find out. To the OP yes the bottom contact is what you want but when considering the price point you mentioned H3 Kistler rod is pretty good especially if you get it used.
I’d stay away from the 7’2” poison Adrena for what you intended to do. Maybe it’s just me but I’m more of an old IMX 844 type when it comes to jigs
I just like that type of feel and rigidity. Another stick is the St. croix legend e. Rod. I have mine paired with the Antares reel and is like the two are made for each other. Just gives you that connected feel especially with floro.
Lastly a used gambler is a wonderful choice
Sounds good, you were definitely right about it being a great texas rig rod in any case. Let us know about the 74H when you can.
I wish that the poison Adrena had the power of the old gen one cumara and the sensitivity, balance and lightness of the new model.
If I get my hands on a 7’4” I’ll definitely let you know

I didn’t read where he said 1/2oz jig but for me that jig is too much and I understand that there are different types of half ounce jigs.
Everyone is different so my humble is just a different spin which is why I tried to describe what I like in a jig rod. From what I read in his post it further aligns with my thoughts especially when he gets on the water and fishes cover or grass.
The easiest thing to do to end all of this is just get a bottom contact rod and be done with it. It’s by far the gem of jig rods.
The new st. Croix rods may have one in the line up that could be a contender as well. Some people speak highly about the Expride line up but after my 6’10” rod I don’t want another just personal preference.

Sorry for any confusion

Ended up pulling the trigger on a steez bottom contact. Couldn't handle not knowing what I was missing. Hope it's as good as everything I've been reading about it.
Contrats chrisg! I'm sure it's a great rod and if it's your first high end rod there is no reason to think you would be disapointed. Always best to temper expectations based on retailer or fanboy "in my hands" perspective. There are a handful of people on this board with no brand loyalty, or skin in the game who own and use a wide variety of high end gear. That is where you'll find the most unbiased hands.
Yeah, it's hard to tell sometimes. I've been doing a lot of research and it just seemed like a good one to try "for me" but there are a lot of jdm high end rods I'd like to try when shipping from japan returns to normal. I've got a few reels and things tied up in Tokyo right now. The warranty doesn't hurt either but not necessary.

If I don't like it there is I guy I know that will take it off my hands in the next town over from me.

I will say this. I haven't found a rod that really impressed me sensitivity wise in the $100-$175 range but im hoping the poison adrena and this steez will at least feel like they were worth the money lol

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:55 pm

Cranky wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:10 am
That’s a great rod, congrats on a nice addition. The high end Steez rods with the AGS guides are really awesome. Also I’d much rather have a $100 reel on a $500 rod than the other way around myself. By far. If anything usually the heavier “cheaper” reels balance a lot of these high end rods out better. Fish whatever you like/want that fits your budget and interest level.

I’ll echo the comments about considering the source of some reviews/recommendations and just remember the ages 2+ snoopy pole is probably going to end up catching the next world record instead of the person collecting mountains of $1000+ combos because if nothing else, the fish gods have a great sense of humor.
Thanks. I know what you guys mean about considering the source of the reviews. I've seen a few people who said they liked it that I trust enough to try it but I'd guess I could have bought a nice jdm rod for the same money just need to learn a little bit more on where to find deals on rods over there. I won't judge it until I get to try it but I've got that voice in my head questioning if I got the right rod lol.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:08 pm

You can assure that voice in your head you got the right rod for what you’re looking for. Should fit those applications very well and arguably one of the absolute top USDM options out there right now. At that level and above it starts to get into lots of personal preference, aesthetics/style/brand leanings, and minor details that can be like splitting hairs.

MNBassin03
Angler
Angler

Post by MNBassin03 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:42 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:54 am
Has anyone used or have the tatula elite TAEL701MMHXB-AGS? Is it anything like the steez (but 5" shorter) as far as taper/power? Its one of the rods I was considering selling to fund a higher end rod.
I have 2 of these rods. My rod lineup consists of all Steez, NRX, Conquest and then 2 of that specific model if that tells you anything. It is an AWESOME rod. I use it for a variety of things, I've went from 3/4 oz jigs to 1/8 oz shakey heads and everything in between. I know that's a crazy range, but I honestly just love that rod. I have sold my NRX 853s because I felt this rod was better for what I was using both for (t-rigs and jigs). Again I know this is going to not be a popular opinion as the NRX lineup is gold, but if you want to try one out, you will not be disappointed.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:51 pm

MNBassin03 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:42 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Has anyone used or have the tatula elite TAEL701MMHXB-AGS? Is it anything like the steez (but 5" shorter) as far as taper/power? Its one of the rods I was considering selling to fund a higher end rod.
I have 2 of these rods. My rod lineup consists of all Steez, NRX, Conquest and then 2 of that specific model if that tells you anything. It is an AWESOME rod. I use it for a variety of things, I've went from 3/4 oz jigs to 1/8 oz shakey heads and everything in between. I know that's a crazy range, but I honestly just love that rod. I have sold my NRX 853s because I felt this rod was better for what I was using both for (t-rigs and jigs). Again I know this is going to not be a popular opinion as the NRX lineup is gold, but if you want to try one out, you will not be disappointed.
I had one and I did like it but I ended up selling it a couple days ago. I probably should have just held on to that one. Oh well

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Fri May 01, 2020 3:14 pm

MNBassin03 wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
how good is the elite m/mh on the low end of the range? i've been looking for a bfs-ish rod for 1/8-3/16oz jigheads w a 4"finesse worm, 1/8oz ned, and some dropshot, but i'm also wanting to throw 3/16oz eakins style jigs with it. i was thinking ml tip/m power backbone was what i'm looking for, but if this rod is comfortable on the lighter end of the ratings then it may be what i'm looking for

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:14 pm

MNBassin03 wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Would you possibly be able to compare the Bottom Contact with the NRX 894c? If you could only have one for 1/2oz Jigs + Trailer, which one would you choose?

Thanks a lot!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:29 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:14 pm
MNBassin03 wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Would you possibly be able to compare the Bottom Contact with the NRX 894c? If you could only have one for 1/2oz Jigs + Trailer, which one would you choose?

Thanks a lot!
Bottom contact Rod
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:52 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:29 pm
freelancer27 wrote:
MNBassin03 wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

Thanks a lot!
Bottom contact Rod

Ok, ok, ok... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I see where I can get a good price on it and see how it compares to the price I would get for the 894c.

If you compare the Bottom Contact with the 7'4 blue AGS (that I think you have), how big is the difference in sensitivity? While I think my 7'9XH Steez AGS is sensitive on straight braid, but I am not super blown away by its sensitivity with straight fluro.

Still a bit concerned on the warranty for the Steez. Loomis is just worry free in case I fall on it while bankfishing...

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:20 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:52 pm
goldrod wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
MNBassin03 wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

Thanks a lot!
Bottom contact Rod

I see where I can get a good price on it and see how it compares to the price I would get for the 894c.

If you compare the Bottom Contact with the 7'4 blue AGS (that I think you have), how big is the difference in sensitivity? While I think my 7'9XH Steez AGS is sensitive on straight braid, but I am not super blown away by its sensitivity with straight fluro.

Still a bit concerned on the warranty for the Steez. Loomis is just worry free in case I fall on it while bankfishing...

I've been asking myself the same question regarding the bottom contact rod and the Blue Steez 7'4" rod
i kinda want to find out but id have to buy one and have time. As of late I have neither option.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:11 pm

goldrod wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:20 pm
freelancer27 wrote:
goldrod wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
MNBassin03 wrote:

Thanks a lot!
Bottom contact Rod

I've been asking myself the same question regarding the bottom contact rod and the Blue Steez 7'4" rod
i kinda want to find out but id have to buy one and have time. As of late I have neither option.
Did you sell your blue AGS?

I ordered the Steez. Will see how it behaves ;)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:56 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:11 pm
goldrod wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:20 pm
freelancer27 wrote:
goldrod wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:

Thanks a lot!
Bottom contact Rod

Did you sell your blue AGS?

I ordered the Steez. Will see how it behaves ;)

No Sir. I never owned one. I’ve thought about it but I think that’s when I got another BC rod. At one time there was a spike in those blue rod on boards for sale and that made me curious to know what was wrong with them.
Guess it was just a spike because the Tackle Trap had gotten more BC rods and I think people were trying to recoup money from the blue rod to invest into the BC.

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:12 am

Late to this

I have the BC and 74 Ags

Both are great

For most Texas and jig fishing I prefer the BC

I use the 74 Mainly with 3/4oz Texas and frogs