What rod handle material do you prefer?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.

What handle material do you prefer?

Cork
69%
EVA
16%
Carbon Monocoque
8%
something else (describe in the comments)
8%

Total votes: 51

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What rod handle material do you prefer?

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:02 pm

Flor grade cork has no rivals. You never see it on conventional fishing rods, but I have a couple of fly rods by Chris Barclay and it's exceptional. It doesn't even feel like cork. One of the rods has a ventilated grip. I should throw up a pic on here.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:48 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:02 pm
Flor grade cork has no rivals. You never see it on conventional fishing rods, but I have a couple of fly rods by Chris Barclay and it's exceptional. It doesn't even feel like cork. One of the rods has a ventilated grip. I should throw up a pic on here.
You should. Highest grade cork feels lovely, but it's a unicorn anymore with production rods. Far and few between.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:46 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:48 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
You should. Highest grade cork feels lovely, but it's a unicorn anymore with production rods. Far and few between.
Here's a pic of it from Chris' Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/p/B7_LhxiBDvu/

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:30 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:46 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:48 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
Here's a pic of it from Chris' Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/p/B7_LhxiBDvu/
Looks so soft and velvety

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:39 am

Higher-end mid-grade cork (AAAA) to flor grade cork is my favorite. Carbon Fiber is a VERY close second. Followed by AA cork.

I could likely switch to all CFX, all the time, if they could customize their products a little more. I make do currently, but I have some wishes still in the lengths and diameters offered. When I can’t easily make what I want with CFX, Cork is my answer, just more $$.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:37 am

i really adore a great cork handle but i dont hate the latter such as good eva and i thought i would hate the monocoque stuff but its actually pretty good also.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:47 pm

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:39 am
Higher-end mid-grade cork (AAAA) to flor grade cork is my favorite. Carbon Fiber is a VERY close second. Followed by AA cork.

I could likely switch to all CFX, all the time, if they could customize their products a little more. I make do currently, but I have some wishes still in the lengths and diameters offered. When I can’t easily make what I want with CFX, Cork is my answer, just more $$.
Why dont you make your own? It's easy.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:43 am

There’s a special way they cure their grips they have yet to divulge to me. Been trying! If I can readily cure them so they have all the same properties and durability, I’ll dive in head first.

Are you curing yours in any special way? That’s a pretty technical grip. Cool stuff. 😎

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:20 pm

MardukFIN wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:47 pm
DrTrevorkian wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:39 am

Why dont you make your own? It's easy.
Is that you, Michael Jackson??

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:05 pm

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:43 am
There’s a special way they cure their grips they have yet to divulge to me. Been trying! If I can readily cure them so they have all the same properties and durability, I’ll dive in head first.

Are you curing yours in any special way? That’s a pretty technical grip. Cool stuff. 😎
I put epoxy through carbon, not under. Shape foam core, put carbon sleeve over it, tighten and then epoxy. MUCH easier to get seams straight. If you look ie Battson grips, they look crap IMO compared CFX cause seams isn't straight

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:14 am

Sorry, I meant heat curing after you do that.

They had mentioned early on, somewhere (can’t remember where), they have a prescriptive heat cure process after they through epoxy the carbon to their proprietary carbon infused “foam” core. I have yet to glean that info and if it’s possible in my household or work ovens...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:35 pm

MardukFIN wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:05 pm
DrTrevorkian wrote:

I put epoxy through carbon, not under. Shape foam core, put carbon sleeve over it, tighten and then epoxy. MUCH easier to get seams straight. If you look ie Battson grips, they look crap IMO compared CFX cause seams isn't straight
Have you seen or held them in person?

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:30 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:35 pm
MardukFIN wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:05 pm
DrTrevorkian wrote:

Have you seen or held them in person?
Yes i have. Once and last time. I prefer CFX or self made.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:38 am

The only carbon fiber I like, commercially made, is CFX. I would like to see AmTak’s new offerings in person, before I pass judgement. The pictures on their website look good, but so do Batson’s...