St. Croix Legend Xtreme 2020

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: St. Croix Legend Xtreme 2020

Post by bbates3 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:41 pm

Chode wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:34 pm
russ57 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:06 pm
That balance with an aldebaren is absurd
I know right. I'm wondering if all the other models balance as nicely

7ft mh with steez A

ImageUntitled by benjie bates, on Flickr
Last edited by bbates3 on Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:40 am

Chode wrote:
russ57 wrote:
I recall Bronzefly posting a pic of the 74H with a Steez A, not sure which thread it was on though. It was a bit in front of the lock nut.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:26 am

russ57 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:40 am
Chode wrote:
russ57 wrote:
I recall Bronzefly posting a pic of the 74H with a Steez A, not sure which thread it was on though. It was a bit in front of the lock nut.
I don't remember seeing it. I tried to find it in the threads but couldn't. If you're able to and post a link here, that'd be awesome. Also, if Gary can post/repost that pic of the 7'4H, that'd be awesome as well

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:32 am

Here you go, most are repeats but all in 1 post.

Gary's 74 Image

Image74 by , on Flickr

7ft Med with Aldebaran MGL 50
ImageUntitled by , on Flickr

7ft Med with Steez A

7ft MH with Steez A

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:45 am

bbates3 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:32 am
Here you go, most are repeats but all in 1 post.

Gary's 74 Image

Image74 by , on Flickr

7ft Med with Aldebaran MGL 50

7ft Med with Steez A

7ft MH with Steez A
oh awesome. thx!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:16 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:44 pm
Here are some ramblings about this whole thing from my perspective. There is a LOT to consider here guys, from the standpoint of a fisherman, a retailer, or even a manufacturer. First of all, from a manufacturers standpoint, they are rightfully excited about their new flagship rod, especially considering that it is the most expensive bass rod they've ever built. St. Croix cracked the $600 MSRP price point with new Xtreme and they built one impressive rod when you put one in your hands. I have my own Legend Xtreme 74 Heavy Fast mounted to a Daiwa Steez A 7:1 with an RCS 100mm Carbon Fiber handle that I will now be fishing A LOT and I'm excited to do so considering how impressive this combo feels in my hands. The photos below will show the combo, and the fact that the balance of this particular model, and all the other casting rods are noticeably better than their Legend X and Legend Elite counterparts.

I am a tackle enthusiast and I absolutely love high end rods and reels, for better or for worse. I fish a lot of brands and models, from manufacturers The Tackle Trap doesn't even deal with, because I'm an enthusiast. Sometimes it works out to be something good for TT, sometimes it works out to be something good for me personally, sometimes it just doesn't work out at all!

I can say from personal experience, without question that this new series is not simply a rebadged previous generation Legend Xtreme. In my opinion, St. Croix could have done a better job telling the story about how significantly different this new Legend Xtreme series is from the previous generation. I hope they make it a point to do that very soon as I believe it will quell some the inevitable criticism by folks who have never handled, seen, fished, or really know anything much other than what has been made public about these rods. Any time a company comes out with a flagship model with a flagship price, there will be criticism, so this is really no different in that regard.

I am NOT speaking to performance here, I haven't fished these rods against the cream of the crop - Steez AGS, Megabass, NRX, and a couple others, and those I've fished extensively. My goal is to reserve judgement until I've had meaningful time on the water with a group of rods. In my opinion however, this is the best looking, best feeling series of bass rods St. Croix has ever built, based on picking them all up and admiring them all in hand.

Any of you guys who want to take the leap and be an early adopter and give these a shot, let me know and let's see what I can do to get you set up. In the meantime, I'll be dragging some jigs in the pond here shortly before it gets dark...

Of all the USDM stuff, I am interested in this rod the most. 7'4" all day.
With respect to all of you some of the things I think about with regards to any rod over $400 is what am I getting from a mass produced rod that I can't get from a Custom Rod? I brought the Steez BC rod on a whim and wanted to see what that rod was like and a week later I purchased another or made preparations for another.. I've been overly happy with them both in fact I put a Daiwa Z on one just to see how it would be and I like the feel of it no question no doubt about it.. I removed the reel but it didnt feel big on that rod at all.

That being said, I've not seen anything substantial about this rod that warrants 1) the Price point and 2)Performance.
As someone here already mentioned prices are going up and I looked at the Conquest rod line up and I've no idea why the price increase except people will by it. I have a 7'4" Le the green blank and its good stick, I have my custom flippin stick made off the St. Croix blank and I've got absolutely nothing but good things to say about it. The blank was one of the reasons that I had this stick made, its very sensitive and the guides are spiral wrapped, balanced and every thing I could think of is on this stick and its been with me since 2011.

Still this LE2020 7'4" is something that I'd like to know more about. Seems only Gary has one but if there is another person with one please post a picture of the flex in the rod. I'd like to know how well it handles jigs and c -rigs.
One thing for sure is St. Croix has put daiwa guides on there blank with a Shimano monocoque handle and on paper this thing should be super sensitive, to what degree is the question
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:43 pm

I have the 7ft4 Heavy.

In addition to two 7ft1 MH Xfast.

And a 7ft medium along with another 7ft4 heavy on the way I should get it in this monday.

They are the best rods I've fished and I have had quite a few high end rods including the NRX line that's mostly MEH to me.

These line of rods are the cream of the crop, so much so that most of my rods will be replaced with these a few weeks at a time hopefully the Covid flu doesn't hold up manufacturing of more.

The Steez Bottom Contact AGS lost to the AGS Xtreme in looks and performance.

If your on the fence just do it.

Below you can see the three I have so far, along with a comparison photo showing the AGS Xtreme vs the Bottom Contact
Attachments
20200318_162843_copy_600x427.jpg
20200318_162843_copy_600x427.jpg (57.31 KiB) Viewed 9230 times
20200403_163534_copy_2016x1236_copy_800x490.jpg
20200403_163534_copy_2016x1236_copy_800x490.jpg (51.72 KiB) Viewed 9230 times

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:36 pm

NOLRAMB wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:43 pm

They are the best rods I've fished and I have had quite a few high end rods including the NRX line that's mostly MEH to me.

I thought I was the only one that felt that way about the NRXs. I was not impressed with the 853 at all so I sold it. Have u fished the high-end JDMs for comparison like the racing design, oltre, efreet, ultima, EG, etc?

wow considering how praise the bottom contact has gotten, your statement makes the xtreme ags that much more intriguing. care to share how the xtreme beat out the bottom contact in performance?

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:57 pm

Chode wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:36 pm
NOLRAMB wrote:

I thought I was the only one that felt that way about the NRXs. I was not impressed with the 853 at all so I sold it. Have u fished the high-end JDMs for comparison like the racing design, oltre, efreet, ultima, EG, etc?

wow considering how praise the bottom contact has gotten, your statement makes the xtreme ags that much more intriguing. care to share how the xtreme beat out the bottom contact in performance?
Curious also. I didn’t wanna say my NRX rods are boring after 5+ yrs of fishing them

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:16 am

Chode wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:36 pm
NOLRAMB wrote:

The two JDM rods I've had or fished were the Steez Racing Design 701MH/HFB, the Poison Ultima 172H and I'm not sure if this is JDM it's my buddies but the Destroyer F7-71X7 Aaron Martens 71 special.

I have also fished a few Kistler Z Bones, Phenix K2 Torzite, Edge FSC First Strike, Loomis NRX and Conquest a couple custom St. Croix SCV and a custom X-Ray the customs weren't mine.

Steez Bottom Contact AGS vs the Xtreme AGS was closer sensitivity wise in shallow water although the xtreme still had a definite crisper and sharper feel, also the Xtreme once you got into 20 FOW or deeper ran away sensitivity wise, the xtreme seemed to disappear or float in your hand when you fished tip up almost like it has some counter balance device in it.

Both rods had very similar casting distance and feel

I feel that the handle material on the steez dampens the sensitivity and also looks cheap, as a kid all the cheap Walmart or Kmart stores had the same looking material for the grips, I dont like that.

I was disappointed in the Bottom Contact I'm a huge Daiwa fan, 99% of my reels are Daiwa but this rods major hold back is the handle material, if it had the Xtreme or Poison Adrena grip it would be so much better, Hell even cork would improve on the feel.

Don't get me wrong the Steez is nice but St. Croix left no stone unturned in the creation of the new Xtreme.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:38 am

wow so u've fished all those jdm offerings, as well as top of the line domestic, and u STILL feel the xtreme ags is the best. now that's saying something. really appreciate ur feedback

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:41 am

Which particular model of the new Xtreme truly has the best feel?

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:49 am

Chode wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:38 am
wow so u've fished all those jdm offerings, as well as top of the line domestic, and u STILL feel the xtreme ags is the best. now that's saying something. really appreciate ur feedback
I don't know about the best, because I haven't had a chance to fish a myriad of lures in the versions I have yet, and I'm still waiting on more models to come out, but so far the the Xtremes that i do have perform better overall than any other rod I've had and I dont drink the Koolaid, I was raised in a cult and got out so I scrutinize everything the rose tinted glasses dont reside in my household.

I think that the Phenix K2 and the Conquest blanks would be the closest to the Xtreme if they had the same exact components as the Xtreme the NRX would be in 4th place because the feel of that line is all over the place some of the rods are very nice in balance sensitivity and performance and some are just turds and feel dead.

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:53 am

Big-Bass wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:41 am
Which particular model of the new Xtreme truly has the best feel?
If I could choose only one, I would pick the 7ft1 MH Xfast it can do mostly everything in 15 FOW and less it's the most versatile model St. Croix has in every line its available in also.

But the 7ft4 is probably the best choice if you fish deep water more often because it's so sensitive and fishes lighter than it is, you can comfortably throw 3/4 to 1 ounce football jig all day or heavy Carolina rigs.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:15 am

NOLRAMB wrote:
I respectfully disagree with both notions.

I've put in a lot of time with the Bottom Contact rod and now quite a bit more time with the Xtreme. There is no doubt, the Xtreme is a fantastic rod. However, it feels bulkier, heavier, and not nearly as sleek and streamlined as the Bottom Contact rod in my hands. Sensitivity wise, both are fantastic. The actual "bite" transmission of the Xtreme is indeed electric, but dragging across rocks, wood, etc. the Bottom Contact rod transmits better to my hands.

Fortunately, there are many great jig/worm rods out there these days. Anyone who ends up with either of these world class rods will be very happy to own them.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap