EVA handles ... yea or nay ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: EVA handles ... yea or nay ?

Post by DaisyZillion » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:13 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:09 pm
Makes me think some folks are under the impression that their is only 1 type of foam, crap grade, Walmart style. Not true...
True mate, high quality, high density foam grips are nice and transmit as well as cork, good quality rod builders do them very well.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:16 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:09 pm
Makes me think some folks are under the impression that their is only 1 type of foam, crap grade, Walmart style. Not true...
There are different grades, similar to cork. I know that. Regardless, it’s a cheap replacement to pad a bottom line. I won’t support it.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:24 am

Cork is just a really cheap replacement to pad a bottom line. I won't support it. absolutely not. it's just absolutely absurd to think that cork could ever replace high-quality eva.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:37 am

The EVA grips on the rods I use feel just fine. I really don't notice them when I'm actually fishing with them.
Same with cork.
I know that either one will perform, so I just worry about finding a rod that will do what I need it to, and trust that the manuf. will put something on it for a grip that works, and holds up.
I'm sure there are really cheap versions of both that don't hold up, but I buy mid range stuff from known makers, and haven't had a problem.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:58 am

Chode wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:24 am
Cork is just a really cheap replacement to pad a bottom line. I won't support it. absolutely not. it's just absolutely absurd to think that cork could ever replace high-quality eva.
Lols! Have you priced out cork and EVA...umm, ever? Please quantify this for me, as I would love to see some EVA that’s as expensive as flor grade cork.

Even mid-grade cork as seen on a lot of high-end sticks, say St. Croix Legend Elite and G.Loomis NRX is far more expensive than a block of EVA. EVA is far easier to work with / shape. Just the handling makes it cheaper on the bottom line to manufacture rods with.

Where are you even coming from? Are you talking about cork on a Berkley Lightning Rod vs EVA on a Daiwa Steez? Go apples to apples and prove yourself right for us, please?

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:13 am

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:58 am
Chode wrote:
Lols! Have you priced out cork and EVA...umm, ever? Please quantify this for me, as I would love to see some EVA that’s as expensive as flor grade cork.

Even mid-grade cork as seen on a lot of high-end sticks, say St. Croix Legend Elite and G.Loomis NRX is far more expensive than a block of EVA. EVA is far easier to work with / shape. Just the handling makes it cheaper on the bottom line to manufacture rods with.

Where are you even coming from? Are you talking about cork on a Berkley Lightning Rod vs EVA on a Daiwa Steez? Go apples to apples and prove yourself right for us, please?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:29 pm

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:58 am
Chode wrote:

Somebody needs a chill pill

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:27 am

I’m chill as can be, it ain’t my money you’re spending😂 Enjoy your EVA, it’s nice to keep everyone in business right now. I’ll keep helping the cork and carbon fiber guys out, deal?