NRX 873cc

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

NRX 873cc

Post by goldrod » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:01 pm

Thoughts ??
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: NRX 873cc

Post by wilddog66 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:27 pm

It’s my 3/8 and 1/2oz jig rod, also 5/16 and 3/8oz t-rigs, bigger Keitechs. It is tip-heavy with a 13 Met, feels much better with a rubber chair leg cover on the butt. 30lb Sunline XP Asegai to 20lb Seaguar Blue Label bank fishing on Lanier’s rocky bottom.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:18 pm

wilddog66 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:27 pm
It’s my 3/8 and 1/2oz jig rod, also 5/16 and 3/8oz t-rigs, bigger Keitechs. It is tip-heavy with a 13 Met, feels much better with a rubber chair leg cover on the butt. 30lb Sunline XP Asegai to 20lb Seaguar Blue Label bank fishing on Lanier’s rocky bottom.
Thanks

It’s now off the list.
Had to balance my 894 and I said never again for that price or any price that part of what I’m paying for. I appreciate your help
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:52 pm

I had one

Didn’t blow my skirt up

Reel seat didn’t match the cork had to sand it down to match. I can wrap a rod better than the one I had

For a bottom contact rod get the steez Ags 7’5”

More powerful but balance is better and better fit n finish and pretty much just as versatile

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:44 pm

bbates3 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:52 pm
I had one

Didn’t blow my skirt up

Reel seat didn’t match the cork had to sand it down to match. I can wrap a rod better than the one I had

More powerful but balance is better and better fit n finish and pretty much just as versatile

I was interested in the nrx initially when I saw that I have a Steez LTD without a home. So the selling point really was the colors scheme but you mentioned the Steez ags rod. Are you talking about the “bottom contact “ rod ? If so I already have that rod. One with a IS73 and the other with the Steez 7.1 red grey reel. Don’t get me wrong I like shimano but for these light weight rods that the Adrenas are ( just keep following and I’ll get back on track with the Steez ags rod) I went with Daiwa reels because of weight and committed my bantams to big Flippin sticks.

I currently have
Steez Ltd Kahen spool on a Adrena 7’2”
Steez sv RCS 1012 purple Sv spool Adrena 7’2”
Steez SV real four 1016 G1 Sv spool Adrena 6’11”

So my thoughts were just get a nrx real quick
But since reading your post I was looking at the “BLUE” Steez ags rods. I’ve got to read more on them because the 7’4” heavy looks interesting but does the 7’1” medhvy. If anyone has either of those rods can you comment on them?
Thanks in advance and thanks to everyone here. You’ve all been so helpful.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:41 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:44 pm
bbates3 wrote:
I had one

Didn’t blow my skirt up

I was interested in the nrx initially when I saw that I have a Steez LTD without a home. So the selling point really was the colors scheme but you mentioned the Steez ags rod. Are you talking about the “bottom contact “ rod ? If so I already have that rod. One with a IS73 and the other with the Steez 7.1 red grey reel. Don’t get me wrong I like shimano but for these light weight rods that the Adrenas are ( just keep following and I’ll get back on track with the Steez ags rod) I went with Daiwa reels because of weight and committed my bantams to big Flippin sticks.

I currently have

But since reading your post I was looking at the “BLUE” Steez ags rods. I’ve got to read more on them because the 7’4” heavy looks interesting but does the 7’1” medhvy. If anyone has either of those rods can you comment on them?
I had the 7'1" MH AGS. Solid rod. I found it to balance very well and still manage to be a lightweight rod. It was a true x-fast taper but, didnt hinder casting as far I noticed. For a MH, this rod had more than usual power. Not in a bad way just, more of a MH+.

Through my never ending journey of trying tackle, I sold it to fund yet another piece of tackle...story of our lives.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:03 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:41 am
goldrod wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:44 pm
bbates3 wrote:
I had one

Didn’t blow my skirt up

I currently have

I had the 7'1" MH AGS. Solid rod. I found it to balance very well and still manage to be a lightweight rod. It was a true x-fast taper but, didnt hinder casting as far I noticed. For a MH, this rod had more than usual power. Not in a bad way just, more of a MH+.

Through my never ending journey of trying tackle, I sold it to fund yet another piece of tackle...story of our lives.
Of the two the 7’1” was the one I am most likely to get after reading up some on it and looking at my current lineup of rods. It’s certainly on whose specs speak the loudest and after reading you post

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:04 am

Goldrod,

yeah i can comment on all of them.

like i said i had the 873 nrx, it was incredibly light and oh so super sensitive. Without a doubt the NRx rods are some of the most sensitive rods on the market, but to me i guess what drove me away was what i said the balance, fit and finish. i feel for the $$ they could be better built but at the end of the day they are sensitive.

As far as the AGS rods, I've got a few ... all are relatively new and recent purchases, not like i can say ive been fishing them for years.

the 71 mh ... I like the rod. I don't know if i would call it x-fast, it seems to me like most fast rods out there. I would agree compared to a lot of others out there its a touch more powerful than most MH rods.

I like how light it is, i love that short handle on it. I have actually done less bottom contact on it, I've thrown some topwater, moving baits, and texas rigs on it. I found a used one for a great price and picked it up to have 2 of them. you can do alot of things with the rod. Sensitivity is good .. as good as an nrx... probably not but i love everything else so i fish it.

the 74
the more i use this rod the more i like it
it's been a bit cold, but ive thrown a frog on it, whopper floppers, and topwater etc, but probably used it the most flipping a 3/4oz weight and soft plastic, i put the daiwa elite p/f reel on it, and it just feels absolutely amazing in the hand, it bends down the blank. i find it pretty sensitive, main thing it just feels right at home in the hand and i love flipping with it.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:31 am

bbates3 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:04 am
Goldrod,

yeah i can comment on all of them.

like i said i had the 873 nrx, it was incredibly light and oh so super sensitive. Without a doubt the NRx rods are some of the most sensitive rods on the market, but to me i guess what drove me away was what i said the balance, fit and finish. i feel for the $$ they could be better built but at the end of the day they are sensitive.

As far as the AGS rods, I've got a few ... all are relatively new and recent purchases, not like i can say ive been fishing them for years.

the 71 mh ... I like the rod. I don't know if i would call it x-fast, it seems to me like most fast rods out there. I would agree compared to a lot of others out there its a touch more powerful than most MH rods.

I like how light it is, i love that short handle on it. I have actually done less bottom contact on it, I've thrown some topwater, moving baits, and texas rigs on it. I found a used one for a great price and picked it up to have 2 of them. you can do alot of things with the rod. Sensitivity is good .. as good as an nrx... probably not but i love everything else so i fish it.

the 74
the more i use this rod the more i like it
it's been a bit cold, but ive thrown a frog on it, whopper floppers, and topwater etc, but probably used it the most flipping a 3/4oz weight and soft plastic, i put the daiwa elite p/f reel on it, and it just feels absolutely amazing in the hand, it bends down the blank. i find it pretty sensitive, main thing it just feels right at home in the hand and i love flipping with it.
74/71
Man this one is tough
You had me at Flippin stick.
But than you spoke on the 71
I may have some other questions for you , if you don’t mind

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:34 pm

Ask away

I am just learning this line of rods.

Gary over at TackleTrap has been most helpful as well

The 72 mh round bend is another standout

Absolute joy to fish

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:52 pm

bbates3 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:34 pm
Ask away

I am just learning this line of rods.

Gary over at TackleTrap has been most helpful as well

The 72 mh round bend is another standout

Absolute joy to fish

I have a birthday coming up next month so I think I’m gonna go with the 7 foot four I think I’m just gonna make a shot in the dark

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:15 am

Love my 873. Fast, crisp, sensitive and powerful; its my choice for working 5/16-1/2oz jigs and creatures. It doesnt feel tip-heavy to me, but some hold their rods differently than others and I believe this is why you have different opinions on balance.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:05 am

One of the few nrx rods i've kept instead of switching to conquest. great rod!