G. Loomis rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: G. Loomis rods

Post by toddmc » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:48 am

HobeyBaker wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:04 pm
This is a known issue. If you do a search on here, you’ll find a thread that I posted a year or two ago about it. I ended up talking to the President of Shimano USA and he took care of it personally. If he knows about it, then I would have to think everyone in the company knows about it. I really wish they would just sell the blanks so other guides could be used and assembled by a custom builder. There are some real sweetheart blanks in the NRX lineup though.
Yes, their blanks have been good in most cases. I have a few custom builds on their old blanks still being used occasionally. I would like to have an NRX or two to have built. Unfortunately, their production rods often leave something to be desired. The wraps on one of my old drop shot rods were so bad that several of the guides just fell out. I could do better with a spool
of dental floss and duct tape. :laugh1:

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by romans » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:31 pm

I am in the fishing rod is a tool boat myself and never paid much attention to such things as guide wraps and such. I am a glx/nrx head and have never noticed anything way out of wack on any of the rods I own, maybe just lucky,dunno. However, at cadillac/sports car pricing in the world of fishing rods I wouldn't expect to drive a new one off the lot with a tear in the seat or needing an alignment. In my opinion at that price point fit and finish shouldn't be a variable but a given.

When all this started with the nrx rods it was during the "rep sample" bonanza so I always kinda figured they used that as an excuse since you were getting a "used" rod. You know the "used" rods that get drop shipped to you directly from the manufacturer with no discoloration whatsoever on the "used" cork handle.

I would say that I was wrong on that assumption since the "rep sample" thing ended a long time ago so now there is no excuse.

Fit and finish wouldn't have much impact on my fishing rod purchasing decisions but that doesn't excuse the neglect.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:45 am

I ended up sending my conquest in and G. Loomis rewrapped the guide and sent back. Great services and was impressed with the quick shipping.
Philippians 4:6