**Daiwa BLX & Megabass FMJ

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
GotEmOutdoors
Angler
Angler

**Daiwa BLX & Megabass FMJ

Post by GotEmOutdoors » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:35 am

I’m one of the unlucky ones that has to order rods to get my hands on them and if it’s not the feel I’m looking for I have to send them back and try again. Same old song I know but it can be exhausting lol

Daiwa dropped that BLX in which the few reviews I can find on them say the rods in general are great.

I’m looking at the 7’2 H+ But would like to have it compared to the FMJ destroyer. I’m in the Orochi class of rods and have the Steez XTs. Very familiar with both of these companies. Just unsure what the “+” means on the BLX.

Dedicated jig rod only. 3/8- 3/4 oz. FMJ vs BLX. Which would you choose and why?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: **Daiwa BLX & Megabass FMJ

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:41 am

GotEmOutdoors wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:35 am
I’m one of the unlucky ones that has to order rods to get my hands on them and if it’s not the feel I’m looking for I have to send them back and try again. Same old song I know but it can be exhausting lol

Daiwa dropped that BLX in which the few reviews I can find on them say the rods in general are great.

I’m looking at the 7’2 H+ But would like to have it compared to the FMJ destroyer. I’m in the Orochi class of rods and have the Steez XTs. Very familiar with both of these companies. Just unsure what the “+” means on the BLX.

Dedicated jig rod only. 3/8- 3/4 oz. FMJ vs BLX. Which would you choose and why?
I've held that 7'2" heavy. It's a beast of a rod, and was too tip-heavy for me personally.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

GotEmOutdoors
Angler
Angler

Post by GotEmOutdoors » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:59 am

That’s what I’m afraid of lol. Up to 2oz rating. It may be tooo much lol

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:13 pm

The sweet spot on the FMJ is 1/2oz. Don’t have the BLX to compare but I love the FMJ for 1/2 and 3/4oz jigs. 3/8 is OK too in a pinch. I have a Steez a TW on mine and the balance point is perfect for jacking them. I also love it for 3/8oz t rigs and plastics. It’s hard to put down in the summer when bottom contact techniques rule.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:36 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:41 am
GotEmOutdoors wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:35 am

I've held that 7'2" heavy. It's a beast of a rod, and was too tip-heavy for me personally.
X2 on the BLX 72H, when I held it I felt like it would fish like an XH but my Fausts felt lighter and more balanced.

GotEmOutdoors
Angler
Angler

Post by GotEmOutdoors » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:11 am

Well that’s all I need to hear. I have an XH Steez XT and i don’t need more than 1 of those actions 😂. I know this is in another price category entirely but what’s the initial impressions on the Steez Bottom Contact rod?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:47 pm

GotEmOutdoors wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:11 am
Well that’s all I need to hear. I have an XH Steez XT and i don’t need more than 1 of those actions 😂. I know this is in another price category entirely but what’s the initial impressions on the Steez Bottom Contact rod?
I'll echo the sentiment on the BLX 72H. It could have been listed an an XXH as far as I'm concerned.

I've put in a lot of time with the new Steez AGS 75MH/H Bottom Contact rod and it is nothing short of spectacular. It has become my go to rod for the vast majority of the jig and worm fishing that I do. I have to give credit where its due however, the Steez Racing Design 701MH/H has been getting a lot of love from me for fishing similar baits in shallower water and at much closer range.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:38 am

I saw these BLX rods at TW. BLX=Black Label I guess?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:38 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:38 am
I saw these BLX rods at TW. BLX=Black Label I guess?
Yes, these are the updated Black Label rods.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:41 pm

I picked up one of the jdm Black Label Rods the other week, the little 6'4" "Twitching Frog". Fishes like a sawed-off mbr844c in the little time I have given it. Fit and finish are excellent, equal to my Destroyers. I am really looking forward to spending some time with it.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:04 pm

does anybody have a pic of the balancing point of the fmj?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:00 am

What reel are you planning to use? Like all Megabass rods you'll need a slightly heavier reel to make it balanced; I can tell you that with a light(ish) reel, the balancing point is high. This is my setup, 6.2oz Pflueger Patriarch. Tip-heavy fully palmed, but I don't mind.
IMG_0919.jpg
IMG_0919.jpg (100.49 KiB) Viewed 7138 times

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:49 am

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:00 am
What reel are you planning to use? Like all Megabass rods you'll need a slightly heavier reel to make it balanced; I can tell you that with a light(ish) reel, the balancing point is high. This is my setup, 6.2oz Pflueger Patriarch. Tip-heavy fully palmed, but I don't mind. IMG_0919.jpg
that's not bad at all. waaay better than most NRX's. planning to put on a tatula sv tw. thx a lot for that pic. much appreciated

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:45 am

Chode wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:49 am
that's not bad at all. waaay better than most NRX's. planning to put on a tatula sv tw. thx a lot for that pic. much appreciated
7.2oz on the Tatula. Yeah, that should balance really well!