Setup for small swimbat

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Steve petty
Angler
Angler

Setup for small swimbat

Post by Steve petty » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:48 pm

Want to start throwing some small hardbody swimbaits for spotted bass,in particular I just bought 2 sweet brand swimbaits. They a 5 inches long and weigh a little under 1.5 ounces. What reel speed and line type and size? I have 4 spare rods to try, a megabass valdivia,Dobyns 736 CB,Dobyns 765 CB,and a Dobyns champion 744. Any of these rods close or what would you guys recommend.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Setup for small swimbat

Post by Drakestar » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:29 pm

I throw my small hard and soft swimbaits on a Powell Endurance 765 CF. That rod is rated for up to 3oz and fits my criteria for a small(er) SB rod: 7 1/2 - 8 feet length, 5-power rating and fast action.

* You don't want an XF rod because you might be throwing treble hook glidebaits (like an S-Waver), and you don't want a MF action because you might be throwing top hook swimbaits (like a 6 inch Hud or Trash Fish), so Fast action is a good sweet spot.
* I like a 5-power because that generally gets you more sensitivity than a 6 (which you want when crawling swimbaits on the bottom, and because big bass bites on soft SBs are often rather subtle ticks). And I don't think you need more than a 5 power for the baits you're throwing. But 6 would work as well, it's all a bit of preference (I throw my 8 inch Huds on an 806 - many people might argue that that a 7-power would be the better choice.)
* Length is just useful when horsing top hook SB fish to the shore/boat, anything under 7 1/2 feet feels short to me.

Dunno if I have good recommendations on the reel, but I feel that any reel you would use for punching works well. Make sure the reel has tons of drag, good retrieve per turn and holds enough 65lbs line (I fish 65lbs Maxcuatro to 20-25lbs mono leader). A larger handle or power handle is a plus, as well.
I use a cheap Okuma Epixor EPXT-271V most of the time because it has those qualities and comfortable EVA knobs. But it's a low-end reel and gets creaky after a couple months; "I don't mind it" is the most glowing recommendation I'll make for that reel :)

Disclaimer: I fish for LMB, not spots. Dunno if you want to downgrade line size (if they spook more easily) and double down on the reel (since they put up more of a fight).