JDM Shimano vs USDM Gloomis Comparisons

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: JDM Shimano vs USDM Gloomis Comparisons

Post by fishes » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:01 am

Cracker wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:15 am
bwjay wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:53 am
Mike son wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:07 pm
bwjay wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:29 pm
Based on like 1 video I saw, the *new* Poison Adrena is more sensitive than the Poison Glorious and is closer to GLX level, possibly approaching NRX. As far as build quality goes, I've read quite a few complaints about the GLX and even NRX. No such complaints about the new PA.
Can you post a link?
I'm not sure which video it was in, honestly. I think it was from THE REEL TEST and you really gotta take what he says with a grain of salt, but, he did have both rods in his hands (PG and new PA). Except now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure he had an Expride A (not new PA) and said that it felt more sensitive to him than his PG.
This is probably the video I'm thinking of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqjbizWpbOY
THE REEL TEST does not have any rods from current PG series. He says the Expride A almost the same as NRX.

I own Ultima with new handle (Full Carbon Monocoque), way better than NRX.
My ranking:
1. Ultima
2. PG with new handle (Full Carbon Monocoque)
3. Standard PG
4. New Adrena / NRX

Ultima has better graphite than Poison Glorious according to my Shimano Japan sources.
Same applies to PG compare Adrena. As it

P.S. Never owned GLX or Conquest, can't say anything on that.
Poison glorious with new handle? are you referring to the poison glorious xc rods or is there another pg with the full monocoque?

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:50 am

For the record I’m only comparing Adrena to IMX/GLX on paper based on their price tiers. Not any actual side by side performance, it makes sense to me that the full carbon handle would have a sensitivity edge. I’m not denying they’re a great value but I have a hard time picturing them edging out a Glorious or Ultima in the same family with a much higher price tier. Maybe we will get more Ultima 2020 rods with a full carbon grip??? Feels like that would be a bit of a mic drop on the comparisons.

I was under the impression the only Glorious rods with a full carbon grip were the XC models actually made for cranking.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:42 am

fishes wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:01 am

Poison glorious with new handle? are you referring to the poison glorious xc rods or is there another pg with the full monocoque?
I'm referring to couple new models they added last year to standard PG lineup with a solid tip.
169MH-S
166M-S

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:20 pm

Anyone own the Glorious 170H+, 169XH, or 176XXH? Looking at the heavy cover options and would love to hear any reviews.

They look like they all have impressively light weight and I’m thinking that 169XH weighing in at 117 grams would be a blast to fish.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:18 am

The glorious line finally lured me over and I wish I would have pulled the trigger sooner. I was worried about the tapers/power being 'JDM', but man...that high power X is some serious sheet apparently. You can't believe something that light is also stout. The fast models are very fast, and the models labeled 'RF' are still reasonably fast and crisp. Sensitivity exceeded expectations. Have a 6'10H and a 7'3"G that should be here any day (2 for 1 shipping) to join my 6'10m, 6'11mh, 7'4"mh, and 7'm-g I'm racking up some 'haven bucks' from JDM tackle haven for shiz. Really want the 7'H+ wild stinger for walking frogs and stroking jigs. I still own and enjoy my nrx, imx-pro crankers, and edge rods, these are just a different animal.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:05 am

I have a 7’ M/Mf Ultima and 7’ M/f Conquest, and don’t feel a huge difference between the 2, way to close to call. Actions aren’t to far off, as I can throw cranks on the Conquest and jerkbaits on the Ultima no problem. Love the look of the Ultima over the Conquest, but with the lack of warranty(hard to beat Loomis warranty period) and performance not blowing away the Conquest, it usually stays at home. I think components make the biggest difference. Would still like to compare some of the heavier powered models discussed here.