Bifflehead Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Bifflehead Rod

Post by Drakestar » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:06 am

Looking to fill a hole in my arsenal that can throw heavier jigs and biffleheads in particular. Was considering a Destroyer FMJ for the task and would like some opinions.

I think I want a 4-power rod that clearly reads the bottom (to give me info and reaction time to avoid snags) and has enough power to shake free of any structure I get into (using 50lbs braid to leader). I tried a Powell 775 and it felt too heavy, and any 3-power rod won't have enough backbone. Theoretically liking the FMJ because it seems to have that balance and is specced up to 1.25oz, which puts it a bit above comparable rods like the Braillist, 844 GLX etc. (Also liking the 7'1" length since I mostly do bank fishing.)

I mention the FMJ to give you some insight/reference into/for my thinking. I'd love to hear all feedback since I'm not married yet to getting that specific rod.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Bifflehead Rod

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:17 am

If you're looking in that price range, the new Adrena 7'2" heavy should serve your purpose nicely. I had a couple of the last gen Adena and sensitivity is off the charts. I was told that this particular model is stupid-light and well-balanced in hand, also. I'm a big fan of custom rods, but this one is on my short list of heavy-power utility rods, particularly for frogs.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:34 am

Added to the list. How comfortable are the Poison rods to hold, especially in cold weather? One thing that has turned me off so far is the carbon handle - I have a couple of Exprides, and that CI4+ reel seat gets stupid cold for me in the morning. Was worried the Adrena's will be even worse since there's no cork at all.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:20 pm

The new Adrena handle doesn't bother me in the cold. Though, if you think your Exprides make your hands cold, the Adrena has the same ci4 reel seat. The new handle is definitely slick when wet as has been mentioned in other threads here on TT.

I haven't fished the new Adrena 7'2H but have a lot of time with the old model 7'2H as well as a GLX 844c. I've thrown 3/4oz jackhammers on both and with a trailer they weigh around 1.25oz. In my opinion, the GLX 844c casts the weight better between the two. They have similar power in the backbone but the tip is softer in the Adrena and it has a slower action. I thought casting 1.25oz on my Adrena was taxing the rod and losing accuracy but it still worked decently enough. Again, my experience is with the older 7'2H Adrena, though it does have the same specs as new one.

mike464
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mike464 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:30 am

I throw the biffle head a ton, the best rod I've found is a Kistler Z Bone 4mh 7'6". I have the FMJ and it's a little light with a big trailer. My experience has been that if I go to a 5h, I lose more fish. The 7'6" rod gets me a great hooksett on long casts.

Dragonstop852
Angler
Angler

Post by Dragonstop852 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:41 am

been studying up on a smart purchase for swing head jigging, but uncertain as to how much swinghead weight might be required to maintain bottom contact at @ 20-24 ft. for summertime smallies on dropoffs of humps, etc.? If its 3/4oz then I need a rod that can cover that - would be simpler if only required 11/16 oz or less. I know TacticalBassin guys finally settled in on the MB Orochi xx Braillist - think is a 7'6 MH rated rod. Would the Z-Bone 7'6" still be appropriate at 1/2 oz. swing heads? As weight decreases, at what point do u find moving to a lighter power becomes appropriate, if at all?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:52 am

1/2 oz + plastic would be doable with your rod. Only uncertainty is, at 25' deep, would you be able to get a good hookset? What line are you using?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:18 am

mike464 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:30 am
I throw the biffle head a ton, the best rod I've found is a Kistler Z Bone 4mh 7'6". I have the FMJ and it's a little light with a big trailer.
Can you elaborate on the FMJ being "a bit light"? Purely looking at the specs, the FMJ looks like it might be the more powerful rod, does that not come through in practice?

mike464
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mike464 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:31 am

In real life it sure feels to be a lighter action than my Kister 7'6" mh. I have 3 of those zbones in the same model. I throw 1/2 oz football heads with the FMJ. I throw either 7/16 or 11/16 biffleheads most of the time with a big trailer. The Kistlers works better for me.