Disappointed

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ultraslab
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Disappointed

Post by ultraslab » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:15 pm

I just upgraded a St. Croix to XLC70MF Legend Elite Extreme after reading the reviews on the legend elite . Went with the extreme thinking I would like the handle better. Tied on a jig today and was NOT impressed. Sensitivity felt mushy and not near as crisp as I was expecting. Granted it was a short day and did not get a bite as lake is tough right now, but i was expecting a wow factor that just wasn't there. Did I make a mistake with this rod? Any feedback appreciated.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Disappointed

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:23 pm

I haven't used that model. I have a couple customs on the Legend Elite blanks. 7ft Lite and 76 Med-Heavy Mod Fast. Both are pretty decent vlanks and I have no problem detecting bites. Tapers are nice too.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:46 pm

i really enjoy my elites and the tapers but i will say they are not as sensitive as some other rods in the price range but i have not considered them to be lacking in bite detections

ultraslab
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ultraslab » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:33 am

Maybe I have reached a point of diminishing returns in that I have enough high end rods that there is not a wow factor still out there. I have and NRX and Daiwa Steez 76MML- and a Daiwa Steez 71MHXF-AGS which is not much compare to some of you collectors but these would be considered close to flag ship models by there respective companies. I'm always looking for a wow factor but at level maybe it's just not doable. I remember my 1st NRX and 1st cast I was like wow. Either I need a mentor or I've passed the point where a rod may be slightly better than another but not to the point of making you say wow. Now with the 2 legend elite extreme ( bought a casting and spinning ) I'm feeling depressed that 1st cast of a rod that makes you feel like a kid at christmas may be a thing of the past.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:23 am

What rod are referring to? I don’t see a Legend Elite Extreme?

There is a Legend Elite, a Legend Xtreme, Legened X Series?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:32 am

ultraslab wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:33 am
Maybe I have reached a point of diminishing returns in that I have enough high end rods that there is not a wow factor still out there. I have and NRX and Daiwa Steez 76MML- and a Daiwa Steez 71MHXF-AGS which is not much compare to some of you collectors but these would be considered close to flag ship models by there respective companies. I'm always looking for a wow factor but at level maybe it's just not doable. I remember my 1st NRX and 1st cast I was like wow. Either I need a mentor or I've passed the point where a rod may be slightly better than another but not to the point of making you say wow. Now with the 2 legend elite extreme ( bought a casting and spinning ) I'm feeling depressed that 1st cast of a rod that makes you feel like a kid at christmas may be a thing of the past.

Oh the point of diminishing returns
Man I read three chapters on that and still got a low grade.
It was sooooo long and sooo many questions on the quiz. When I read your post I had a flash back 😂
Anyways I have the 7’4” Legend Elite heavy and I like it.
It’s been a good rod to me. What are you lacking other than your perceived sensitivity?
Catch a couple dinks on it and than let us know
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:52 pm

Subjective, but I've never felt Croix blanks had the lively crisp nature in comparison to other high end blanks. Not dead by any means, but over priced imo if sensitivity is your purpose.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:40 pm

ultraslab wrote:
I been thru similar situations with different rods. And really it’s not a bad thing, not have to worry about what you’re missing out on because the nrx is at the top on feel, sensitivity, lightweight. The casting rods I tried where 2 champion extreme generations, older zbone model, steez ags spinning rod. All were good rods, not the “nrx wow” factor though. One rod I did purchase this year was the new poison adrena. I actually fished it for 8 hours once in a tournament & I was setting the hook on stuff that wasn’t there & this was after fishing nrx rods all year. At that price point, that rod is NICE. A very close favorite to my nrx lineup

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:35 pm

Hennessy wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:40 pm
ultraslab wrote:
I been thru similar situations with different rods. And really it’s not a bad thing, not have to worry about what you’re missing out on because the nrx is at the top on feel, sensitivity, lightweight. The casting rods I tried where 2 champion extreme generations, older zbone model, steez ags spinning rod. All were good rods, not the “nrx wow” factor though. One rod I did purchase this year was the new poison adrena. I actually fished it for 8 hours once in a tournament & I was setting the hook on stuff that wasn’t there & this was after fishing nrx rods all year. At that price point, that rod is NICE. A very close favorite to my nrx lineup

Which PA do you have ?
I have the 7’2” and 6’10”
And they are dangerously sensitive. That handle transmits so much that it’s scary when you get bit.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

ultraslab
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ultraslab » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:02 am

Sorry for the confusion . The 2 new rods are the spinning and casting Legend X Series . Supposed to be same as Legend Elite with different handle. I'll give more feedback as I have a chance to fish them over next week but when I read Zander's review of the legend Elite one of the best reviews I've seen, I guess in my mind I was expecting more. FYI both are 7' M .

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:24 am

I think it’s part of the deal with trying to get the best rods that fit your style. I’ve bought and sold a lot of rods trying to find ones that fit my style. A lot have been highly regarded on here such as MB Javelin and 894 NRX.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:51 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:24 am
I think it’s part of the deal with trying to get the best rods that fit your style. I’ve bought and sold a lot of rods trying to find ones that fit my style. A lot have been highly regarded on here such as MB Javelin and 894 NRX.
Totally agree. I also agree with the comments about the 18 Poison Adrena. If most my rods weren't custom, I'd have several models.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:07 pm

I have a 7MH LE and prob wouldn't be my first choice as a jig rod but its very legit for topwater and spinnerbaits. I can also say I've never had a st.croix break in a normal fishing situation. Can't say that for other top dollar chinese made rods.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:19 pm

ultraslab wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:15 pm
but i was expecting a wow factor that just wasn't there.
i dunno. i think u did get a wow factor. after using it, you were like WOW this rod blows