The skinny in the Otomat

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

The skinny in the Otomat

Post by goldrod » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:26 pm

What are you using it for?
I have one and was only topwater fishing with it now I’m starting to venture out. I now have a TDZ reel with BE spool and 12 floro and have put a 6th Sense square bill on it
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: The skinny in the Otomat

Post by M Perry » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:52 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:26 pm
I have one and was only topwater fishing with it now I’m starting to venture out. I now have a TDZ reel with BE spool and 12 floro and have put a 6th Sense square bill on it

I have used Pop Max and Diamante on mine quite a bit now. I have experimented with squarebills on medium divers on it and like it for that as well. It has more power than you realize. Versatile tip but you do still have all the power you need. I really enjoy this model a lot. When I was playing around with prototypes last year it really stood out.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:19 pm

I am trying to convince myself not be an Otomat participant but it definitely sounds like a winner in the action/tip play arena and I really dig MB 4ish powered offerings as well so despite my best efforts I will someday scoop one up :P

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:39 pm

M Perry wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:52 am
goldrod wrote:

I have used Pop Max and Diamante on mine quite a bit now. I have experimented with squarebills on medium divers on it and like it for that as well. It has more power than you realize. Versatile tip but you do still have all the power you need. I really enjoy this model a lot. When I was playing around with prototypes last year it really stood out.

I have used it with great success with the diamanté and loved it for the explose’. I’m sure it has the power because I had a tank hit the diamanté and the backbone took me totally by suprise
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:59 pm

How does the tip and backbone of the Otomat compare to the OG XX Flat Side Special?

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:32 pm

wilddog66 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:59 pm
How does the tip and backbone of the Otomat compare to the OG XX Flat Side Special?
Tip seens more versatile and lively. I feel like the Otomat has a tad more backbone.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon May 11, 2020 3:45 pm

M Perry wrote:
goldrod wrote:

Would you recommend the Otomat over something like the current Orochi Swingfire or Flat Side Special for squarebills to medium divers?

Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jnkoepp » Wed May 13, 2020 5:59 pm

jerkbait22 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:45 pm
M Perry wrote:
goldrod wrote:

Would you recommend the Otomat over something like the current Orochi Swingfire or Flat Side Special for squarebills to medium divers?

I have both. I’d go with the XX FSS for Squarebills

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Thu May 14, 2020 4:15 am

Jnkoepp wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:59 pm
jerkbait22 wrote:
M Perry wrote:
goldrod wrote:

I have both. I’d go with the XX FSS for Squarebills
This is probably down to personal preference - what makes you choose the FSS over the Otomat in this case?

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Thu May 14, 2020 6:09 pm

jerkbait22 wrote:
M Perry wrote:
goldrod wrote:

For Squarebills and even medium divers I would choose the Otomat over teh Swingfire. The FSS is a great squarebill rod too. Don't sleep on the Jerkbait Special as a cranking rod either.