St Croix Avid or Gloomis IMX

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Post Reply
tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:14 am

St Croix Avid or Gloomis IMX

Post by tracker01 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:07 am

I am looking for something in a small tube or worm, 1/4 oz spinnerbait, small jerk baits, use spinning rod. I would like it to be a Avid or an older model IMX. Are they about the same level as far as performance? I am looking for the pros and cons of each rod. Please share your thoughts.
Thank you.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5375
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: St Croix Avid or Gloomis IMX

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:17 am

St. Croix sandbags on their ratings bigtime. The rods are half a power heavier than their ratings. A mlxf in a St. Croix rod is actually a medium and a medium is a MH. They do this to minimize legitimate warranty claims, as they can say you were using a weight outside its weight ratings when it broke, then deny warranty replacement. This is also why their rods seem to be a little heavier on average than other companies' offerings with similar ratings.
On the other hand, Loomis rods tend to be rated accurately. Their sweet spot is usually somewhere in the middle of the ratings.
I dont care for either, because they are both overpriced for what you get imho.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 330
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:49 pm
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas

Re: St Croix Avid or Gloomis IMX

Post by white84z » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:50 pm

At the prices those fetch I'll take a kistler klx or helium any day of the week.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5375
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: St Croix Avid or Gloomis IMX

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:44 pm

white84z wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:50 pm
At the prices those fetch I'll take a kistler klx or helium any day of the week.
For under $200, you can get a H3 direct from Kistler right now. That beats either of the mentioned brands' comparable offerings by at least $150.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:14 am

Re: St Croix Avid or Gloomis IMX

Post by tracker01 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:15 am

I’m listening. Good stuff.
Thanks

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1941
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: St Croix Avid or Gloomis IMX

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:20 pm

I would also take the Helium 3 over the IMX or Avid.

With that said I would take a NRX of all 3 :big grin:

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 827
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Western Shore MD

Re: St Croix Avid or Gloomis IMX

Post by Houndfish » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:46 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:44 pm
white84z wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:50 pm
At the prices those fetch I'll take a kistler klx or helium any day of the week.
For under $200, you can get a H3 direct from Kistler right now. That beats either of the mentioned brands' comparable offerings by at least $150.
Where are you seeing a deal on an H3 for under $200?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5375
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: St Croix Avid or Gloomis IMX

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:55 am

They were $199 with free shipping within the last 2 weeks. They will probably do something similar on Black Friday. I saw it in an email, so go to their site and subscribe. They send email-only deals to me all the time. If I actually liked cork grips, I would have already taken advantage.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 827
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Western Shore MD

Re: St Croix Avid or Gloomis IMX

Post by Houndfish » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:56 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:55 am
They were $199 with free shipping within the last 2 weeks. They will probably do something similar on Black Friday. I saw it in an email, so go to their site and subscribe. They send email-only deals to me all the time. If I actually liked cork grips, I would have already taken advantage.
Cool, thanks!

I will stick my neck out in defense of the Avid and (old) IMX lines, esp some of their spinning rods. The St Croix M/XF and ML/XF rods have imho the perfect power/taper combos. Same thing with the IMX MagL/XF rods. I also have the 6'2" Avid M/XF casting rod and it's the best popping/jerking/twitching rod I have ever gotten my hands on, I think I could walk a wet sock with that thing.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5375
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: St Croix Avid or Gloomis IMX

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:19 am

Houndfish wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:56 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:55 am
They were $199 with free shipping within the last 2 weeks. They will probably do something similar on Black Friday. I saw it in an email, so go to their site and subscribe. They send email-only deals to me all the time. If I actually liked cork grips, I would have already taken advantage.
Cool, thanks!

I will stick my neck out in defense of the Avid and (old) IMX lines, esp some of their spinning rods. The St Croix M/XF and ML/XF rods have imho the perfect power/taper combos. Same thing with the IMX MagL/XF rods. I also have the 6'2" Avid M/XF casting rod and it's the best popping/jerking/twitching rod I have ever gotten my hands on, I think I could walk a wet sock with that thing.
I am taking nothing away from the Avid or IMX line. They are both excellent products, but neither is worth anywhere near their respective list price imho.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 827
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:57 pm
Location: Western Shore MD

Re: St Croix Avid or Gloomis IMX

Post by Houndfish » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:35 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:19 am

I am taking nothing away from the Avid or IMX line. They are both excellent products, but neither is worth anywhere near their respective list price imho.
The Avids I think are a solid rod at $200 in terms of blank and build quality, I mostly like them due to all the shorter rods they offer, something lacking from most other USDM brands. The old IMXs are a steal for what they go for on ebay, I have been building up a kayak arsenal of old IMX and GLX rods whenever I see them for a good price. I would love to try one of the new IMX rods but they priced them too high imho, there is so so much competition at that level that it's hard to pay anywhere close to msrp.

User avatar
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4538
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: www.tackletrap.com
Contact:

Re: St Croix Avid or Gloomis IMX

Post by bronzefly » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:17 am

Out of curiosity, what length range do you prefer for these applications?

I have a couple rods in mind that I find to be an excellent value in that sub $200 price range.
Houndfish wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:35 am
The Avids I think are a solid rod at $200 in terms of blank and build quality, I mostly like them due to all the shorter rods they offer, something lacking from most other USDM brands.
I agree. I have a 6'6" ML Avid-X that I use pond fishing regularly and enjoy that rod quite a bit.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 330
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:49 pm
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas

Re: St Croix Avid or Gloomis IMX

Post by white84z » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:35 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:44 pm
white84z wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:50 pm
At the prices those fetch I'll take a kistler klx or helium any day of the week.
For under $200, you can get a H3 direct from Kistler right now. That beats either of the mentioned brands' comparable offerings by at least $150.
As soon as I figure out what rods I'm selling I'll end up grabbing another H3. I grabbed a heavy earlier this year and it's an absolute beast but I really should have got a Light medium heavy as I don't fish the heavy as much as I thought I would. I picked up a KLX feel N reel for 169, and that thing is one hell of a chatterbaits rod.

Post Reply