G Loomis GLX vs Rainshadow ETERNITY / TESTAMENT

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

G Loomis GLX vs Rainshadow ETERNITY / TESTAMENT

Post by Reverendo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:37 am

I'm looking to get or build a 7'6" medium action casting rod. I've been impressed with the Rainshadow IMMORTAL blanks but have no experience with their top of the line Eternity or Testament blanks. (I think RS replaced their Eternity line with the Testament line). Anyone in the know care to weigh in on how these compare to the GLX's?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: G Loomis GLX vs Rainshadow ETERNITY / TESTAMENT

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:25 am

My Immortal is extremely nice. Its stupid-light, strong and has amazing sensitivity. If the newest flagship blank is nicer than the Immortal line, it should be even better than the GLX. I've never been impressed with Loomis rods myself. What you get for the price has always been lacking and their QC just plain sucks imho. The issues on their flagship NRX, with guides not being lined up, widespread reel seat failures and sub-par cork grips(not to mention, terrible aesthetics) have kept me away from all things Loomis. Dont get me wrong, the NRX blank is likely the most sensitive out there. If their blanks were still available stand-alone, I'd probably have a few customs built on them.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:30 am

I've built several eternitys. I'd put them up there against any other high end rod

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:31 am

Reverendo wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:37 am
I'm looking to get or build a 7'6" medium action casting rod. I've been impressed with the Rainshadow IMMORTAL blanks but have no experience with their top of the line Eternity or Testament blanks. (I think RS replaced their Eternity line with the Testament line). Anyone in the know care to weigh in on how these compare to the GLX's?
I have blue Eternity 76M. It's nice (for northern pike jigging), but WAY TOO powerful as medium powered rod. RDA is ridiculous 728g! It casts 50-60g easily. Medium in my ass. :lol:

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:43 am

While I'm still investigating the Rainshadows, i noticed that they not longer offer the Eternity blanks :(
Instead they're touting their Testament line as a top tier, "more affordable" blank. Both the Testament and Immortal use their RX8 graphite. I thought the Eternity used RX9? Wonder why the Eternity line was discontinued?

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:35 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:25 am
My Immortal is extremely nice. Its stupid-light, strong and has amazing sensitivity. If the newest flagship blank is nicer than the Immortal line, it should be even better than the GLX. I've never been impressed with Loomis rods myself. What you get for the price has always been lacking and their QC just plain sucks imho. The issues on their flagship NRX, with guides not being lined up, widespread reel seat failures and sub-par cork grips(not to mention, terrible aesthetics) have kept me away from all things Loomis. Dont get me wrong, the NRX blank is likely the most sensitive out there. If their blanks were still available stand-alone, I'd probably have a few customs built on them.
Weird, I have 5 NRX rods, 1 GLX and 1 Conquest and all are perfect.
I also think the NRX is one of the best looking rods out there IMO, I love the blue :big grin:

But to each there own....

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 am

Here is the link to the post I was talking about:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9775

To be fair, the failures were all 1st gen rods. But still, that should have never have happened in the 1st place, not on a $500+ rod. And they never acknowledged the flaw. People had to use their wild card to get the seat fixed, instead of Loomis acknowledging that it was a manufacturing defect due to the epoxy they used being faulty. So, if anyone has another problem with the replacement rod in the future, they dont have their wild card to make replacement painless. To me, that's unacceptable customer service on a top-tier product.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:52 pm

I think they'll be introducing the Eternity's replacement reasonably soon. I believe they mentioned they were waiting to clear out existing inventory.

Another super awesome high end blank is the NFC Xray blank... Who knows how long it'll take to receive it but I've built two and theyre right up there. With the sale going on right now nothing can touch their value either.