Top Water rod for 1ozers

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3595
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Top Water rod for 1ozers

Post by goldrod » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:18 pm

What length and actions do you prefer?

Lure Like I Loud , Shower blow ( the middle one I think 115?? ) and walking baits.
Chase your dreams for they won't chase you.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Top Water rod for 1ozers

Post by poisonokie » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:46 am

For the i-Loud it doesn't really matter as long as your rod is rated to throw it and has a backbone that will actually bend, but for the Shower Blows 125 I think a shorter rod is better. You're gonna get good distance with that bait regardless of how long a rod you're using and the shorter length/better balance makes walking the dog easier. I use a 67MH/Reg Fast with braid to mono leader for that bait in particular.
Still waters run deep.

User avatar
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4077
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: In the "Heart of Dixie"

Re: Top Water rod for 1ozers

Post by Johnny A » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:48 am

goldrod wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:18 pm
What length and actions do you prefer?

Lure Like I Loud , Shower blow ( the middle one I think 115?? ) and walking baits.
I've boiled it down to the Flat Side Special. Enough backbone, soft enough tip, good enough bouncy in the blank to keep the fish occupied.

User avatar
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 11097
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: TT Headquarters
Contact:

Re: Top Water rod for 1ozers

Post by Cal » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:10 am

Something long (in the 7'6" range) with a fast, but bouncy tip :)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3595
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Top Water rod for 1ozers

Post by goldrod » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:20 am

I did the worst thing and I knew i was headed for heart ache. I put it on a crank bait rod and just like I imagined the beast arose from the depths and assaulted the bait. It was breathe taking and than the fish came off. The clouds didn't form but the pain did set in. I knew better but i wanted to try this new lure.
Chase your dreams for they won't chase you.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Top Water rod for 1ozers

Post by poisonokie » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:26 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:20 am
I did the worst thing and I knew i was headed for heart ache. I put it on a crank bait rod and just like I imagined the beast arose from the depths and assaulted the bait. It was breathe taking and than the fish came off. The clouds didn't form but the pain did set in. I knew better but i wanted to try this new lure.
Which lure? The i-Loud or the SB?

I've caught a bunch of fish on the i-Loud using the OG Tatula 721MHRB-G glass composite cranking/chatterbait rod. I used a Zillion TWS 6.3 and 40# braid. Hardly ever failed to hook up or land one with that setup.
Still waters run deep.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: North Georgia

Re: Top Water rod for 1ozers

Post by wilddog66 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:29 am

My OG Megabass XX Diablo works very well. Rated up to 1oz, not too fast for braid, and not too long.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3595
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Top Water rod for 1ozers

Post by goldrod » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:41 am

poisonokie wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:26 am
goldrod wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:20 am
I did the worst thing and I knew i was headed for heart ache. I put it on a crank bait rod and just like I imagined the beast arose from the depths and assaulted the bait. It was breathe taking and than the fish came off. The clouds didn't form but the pain did set in. I knew better but i wanted to try this new lure.
Which lure? The i-Loud or the SB?

I've caught a bunch of fish on the i-Loud using the OG Tatula 721MHRB-G glass composite cranking/chatterbait rod. I used a Zillion TWS 6.3 and 40# braid. Hardly ever failed to hook up or land one with that setup.
I was using the I Loud.
The rod was an old cork crucial crank bait rod.. I knew better but conversely I had the lure on a much stiffer rod although it was a medhvy stick and the water exploded and I leaned in to him.. brought him all the way in and I was using braid on this one too..
I kinda felt like the rod was too stiff and soon as he came close enough, the fish performed a dance rendition of micheal jackson's beat it and just moon walked away on top of the water as he spit the lure back to me.
I may have been too anxious to get out there and should have waited and picked a better rod but like most times when the mail lady comes before my wife makes it home.. I open all the packages, discreetly put away the trash and rip up the invoices and plunge them down to the depths of the trash can. And so I went out quickly to see what reaction the lure would have in clear water. The color is spectatular, GLX See Through Gill..
Chase your dreams for they won't chase you.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3595
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Top Water rod for 1ozers

Post by goldrod » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:43 am

For the ShowerBlow I was using the X7 EMTF and I like the rod
I was just looking for something a tad shorter but I may just stick with the X7 EMTF... Its been good to me..
Chase your dreams for they won't chase you.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Top Water rod for 1ozers

Post by poisonokie » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:47 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:41 am


but like most times when the mail lady comes before my wife makes it home.. I open all the packages, discreetly put away the trash and rip up the invoices and plunge them down to the depths of the trash can.
:lol: I too have done this.

Sometimes those fish are just crafty. Who knows, maybe you had it hooked outside the mouth or something.

How long is that EMTF?
Still waters run deep.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3595
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Top Water rod for 1ozers

Post by goldrod » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:54 am

poisonokie wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:47 am
goldrod wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:41 am


but like most times when the mail lady comes before my wife makes it home.. I open all the packages, discreetly put away the trash and rip up the invoices and plunge them down to the depths of the trash can.
:lol: I too have done this.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
she's like a crime scene forensic who loves to solve cold case tackle mysteries

Sometimes those fish are just crafty. Who knows, maybe you had it hooked outside the mouth or something.

How long is that EMTF?

7'5" is the length of the X7 EMTF
and I love that rod I should have just went with it or even the power versatile
I've used that EMTF for Chatterbaits and its been wonderful. The problem was I didnt want to play with it that day I guess and when on my futile testing of my hypothesis, I was 100% sure that crank bait stick was a failure but I just had to fail to make sure.
I am getting ready to take a few days off work and just fish.. Its cooling down and the fishing should be good but I only have room for a few rods. I should have went with the EMTF :crying: :crying:
Chase your dreams for they won't chase you.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Top Water rod for 1ozers

Post by poisonokie » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:04 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:54 am

I should have went with the EMTF :crying: :crying:
Yeah, for the i-Loud that would be no problem at all. That bait tends to want to tumble so a sweeping cast with a longer rod isn't the worst idea.

You should give a shorter rod a shot for that SB, other walkers, and jerkbaits if you have one in your rack. It's a shame, but it seems quality sticks in the 6'6" range are becoming kind of rare.
Still waters run deep.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3595
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Top Water rod for 1ozers

Post by goldrod » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:51 am

You should give a shorter rod a shot for that SB, other walkers, and jerkbaits if you have one in your rack. It's a shame, but it seems quality sticks in the 6'6" range are becoming kind of rare.
[/quote]

you've got a point on that..
Chase your dreams for they won't chase you.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3595
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Top Water rod for 1ozers

Post by goldrod » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:41 pm

I Stand corrected the X7 Rod i am using is NOT an EMTF but an Extreme Mission
sorry for the confusion
Chase your dreams for they won't chase you.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:38 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Top Water rod for 1ozers

Post by Winstondry » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:46 pm

I pointed that out as the Extreme Mission is a much nicer rod, quite the gem from the X7 line!

Post Reply