Double duty for muskie fishing - Expride 73XH?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Double duty for muskie fishing - Expride 73XH?

Post by bwjay » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:21 am

Hey all. I'm thinking I want to get a better flippin' stick for next summer's thick weeds, but I don't want to overspecialize. I kind of need a rod to throw decent size big swimbaits on, but I don't want to overspecialize. I kind of want to target some muskie next year, but I don't want to overspecialize.

What if one rod could do it all?

It has to be somewhat lightweight, whether I'm flipping or throwing big baits all day. Also, tt can't be too heavy powered, or I will never use it. XH is the max I want to go, but also the minimum for any muskie fishing due to the large lures.

After hearing good things about the Expride 73XH, I think it could work with lighter muskie lures, and be an enjoyable flippin stick, and also something for me to throw big swimbaits with less fatigue, which I don't currently do. I read that the 73XH's recommend lure weights are conservative, suggesting you could definitely throw more than 2oz with it. I would probably throw up to 3oz lures on it, maybe 4 if I really had to, but not all day.

What do you all think? Could the Expride 73XH be a lightweight, powerful, not too stiff rod that will be relevant for both bass and muskie fishing? Are there any other rods I should consider for such an application?

Also, does anyone know the actual weight of the 73XH? I can't find any numbers online.

Any advice is appreciated.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Double duty for muskie fishing - Expride 73XH?

Post by Obz » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:58 am

I bass and musky fish regularly . There is no way I would feel confident throwing musky baits on any of my XH bass rods. Just get a musky combo.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:04 pm

Obz wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:58 am
I bass and musky fish regularly . There is no way I would feel confident throwing musky baits on any of my XH bass rods. Just get a musky combo.
The problem is paying for a lightweight musky rod. I don't wanna spend what I expect it requires... even the SC Legend Tournament Musky rods are around 9-10oz for a lot of them. I'd love to keep it down to 6-7oz if possible. Probably to be paired with a Tranx 300.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:34 pm

Take a look at the Kistler Helium 3 MOD 7'10" 3/8 to 3 oz. It's on sale for $219.95 and covers all the bases you are looking for. I have bought two of them & they are the real deal for what your trying to accomplish. I believe it's available in a 7'6" also.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:41 pm

I also wouldn't recommend it, most muskie rods aren't rated for the fish, they are rated for the lures...

Take look at Okuma guide select swimbaits rods, they are fair priced and will work.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:55 am

Unless you’re going to throw bass baits (and obviously smaller bass instead of musky size hooks) you’re going to be disappointed.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:58 am

Cranky wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:55 am
Unless you’re going to throw bass baits (and obviously smaller bass instead of musky size hooks) you’re going to be disappointed.
I don't throw 2-4oz lures for bass though, that's the thing. Surely not all muskie baits are 8oz+?? Surely there are some in the 3-4oz range that I could buy without building an entire collection of giant muskie baits that obviously require a bigger rod? :(

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:48 am

Looking for trouble throwing musky baits on that fast an action rod imo. No give in the tip at all.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:12 pm

Musky hooks are mostly much larger and thicker than bass hooks. It’s not just about how much a lure weighs for casting.

If you’re going to throw them on what would be considered by any reasonable musky fisherman an “ultra light” musky rod then match your lures AND HOOKS to the equipment.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Hey, this whole thread was to discuss whether or not it could work! Sounds like it wouldn't, which is a bummer but it makes sense (want slower action and even more backbone for big hooks).

In this case, what's a good lightweight muskie rod that won't break the bank, ideally no more than 8' but ideally around 7'6-7'9?