A Lesson Worth Sharing

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by goldrod » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:14 pm

I am not sure who builds the best rod ( speaking mass production) but after my experience today I can say that there are other rods out there that EXCEED what I thought was a premium rod. Now I am not talking about price, there are plenty of high dollar tackle out there but some time ago someone on here suggested I branch out. I witness today that what I had paid for a certain rod ( I still like their X7 line up and look for them all the time) maker, I had been OVER-paying.
I experience the Luuxe or Luxxe and another rod from evergreen..

WE HAVE been bamboozled my friends.. the sensitivity, is real..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:29 pm

I hear you loud and clear.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:04 pm

I wouldn't say bamboozled, but just been somewhat ignorant to the fact that there are other JDM rod manufacturers that build a better rod. The big JDM rod company is right in our face and hard to ignore sometimes, but it looks like your moment of clarity struck. Glad you got a chance to try a 6'7" oltre and a 6'9" stallion rs limited. I hope you bought that really nice guy a beer :lol: .The X7's are the best they have made to this day in my opinion, besides the Arms which use the same blanks with a prettier handle. Good luck venturing out and choosing your future toys. There are some great ones out there for sure and the addiction to sensitivity is real as well. The rabbit hole gets deeper from here bro.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:24 am

domthewon wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:04 pm
I wouldn't say bamboozled, but just been somewhat ignorant to the fact that there are other JDM rod manufacturers that build a better rod. The big JDM rod company is right in our face and hard to ignore sometimes, but it looks like your moment of clarity struck. Glad you got a chance to try a 6'7" oltre and a 6'9" stallion rs limited. I hope you bought that really nice guy a beer :lol: .The X7's are the best they have made to this day in my opinion, besides the Arms which use the same blanks with a prettier handle. Good luck venturing out and choosing your future toys. There are some great ones out there for sure and the addiction to sensitivity is real as well. The rabbit hole gets deeper from here bro.

Yes but from my point of view it’s worth it.
Yesterday was a third eye opening experience
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:54 am

goldrod wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:24 am

=D> =D> =D> =D>

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:09 pm

goldrod wrote:

I completely agree. It took me buying 40 rods from that brand over the years before realizing what I was missing. Most have been sitting some sold and some get used. Unless you’re sponsored brand loyalty is overrated as well. Buy what you like sell what you don’t. The only issue now is a lot of the rods that are awesome, but on the low are hard to find info on them. Good luck.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:38 pm

domthewon wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:09 pm
goldrod wrote:

I completely agree. It took me buying 40 rods from that brand over the years before realizing what I was missing. Most have been sitting some sold and some get used. Unless you’re sponsored brand loyalty is overrated as well. Buy what you like sell what you don’t. The only issue now is a lot of the rods that are awesome, but on the low are hard to find info on them. Good luck.

Sedition fits your description.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:31 pm

Goldie most of the times I find your posts amusing but this one has me scratching my head. Maybe I just can't read but what are you saying here :lol: I guess the summation is you found what you and some others view as new/better/cooler/insert adjective choice of rods beyond what is being pushed to the general public in the JDM arena?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm

In either case I hope to have such a 3rd eye opener. Love the eastern philosophy moment :big grin:

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:05 pm

Goldie after his experience with rods other than MB :lol:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:10 pm

I think he is saying the MB rods have been oversold in regards to sensitivity. I tend to agree. There's a lot of rods out there that are every bit as sensitive, but cost less, and that there's some JDM offerings with equal price tags that far exceed them. I really had that conclusion a few yrs back, after having a custom Lamiglas Infinity rod built. It cost way less and was MUCH more sensitive than the MB X4 I had been using for T-rigs and finesse jigs. Dont misunderstand, I'm not saying they aren't great rods, but I do think they fail to live up to the hype. But man, they are beautiful to look at! :shock:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:10 pm

Cristo wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:37 pm
In either case I hope to have such a 3rd eye opener. Love the eastern philosophy moment :big grin:

You can always pry it open... 🏵️👁️💮
This is the way.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:38 pm

Cristo wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:05 pm
Goldie after his experience with rods other than MB :lol:
Even my son said dad are you okay I said I am.
When I joined this site there was a lot of talk about gear and I could not afford $700 rods ( still can’t unless I have to ) so I ventured out and got a IMX843. Surely this rod can’t do all the things Ive read about. It did and I still have it right now. I got promiscuous and went all around the bush, st croix , cumara, Dobyns and megabass. I’ve always wanted to downsize and made up my mind not to buy another rod rack. this weekend I went out with another TT’er and he had four rods.

I had a heart to heart with my wife about what I was thinking and what I had experienced. My wife asked me what happed out there, because you different. Do you want to start completely over?
I bought into the MB for a long time and I maintain my position that the x7 is a great line up. I really like the emtf and f7-71.
When I fished with the other members setups I was blown away.
We were fishing 12-15’ of water in what seemed like a tropical storm and he was plucking fish from the depths. I had to go to a Kistler h3 casting rod and drropshot structure as we drifted.
I went to a Kistler H3, cost comparison to my least expensive MB rod is absolutely absurd.
ANYWAYS
He was nedrigging and although I didn’t catch fish on his setups I could feel everything.

The conditions were horrible and almost impossible. I talked it over with the wife And expressed my concerns.

So from a comfort and sensitivity view point
I know that MB is lacking for what they are asking for their rods
compared to other JDM rods.
And every mb rod can’t be your favorite rod. I do like the power versatile but the X7’s just are better built rods.
I’m looking for a evergreen rod to jig fish with I am researching now and have started saving for that an the new Antares.
I’m not loyal to any brand but I have converted to a higher level of quality. That and peace of mind alone makes it worth it to me.

Thanks to the fellow TT.er who went out with me.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:49 pm

OBTW
I did catch fish with my Aldebaran KTF H3 dropshot setup.
With beast coast dropshot bait. That thing is great.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:31 am

Goldie, that such a dope story I love it you have an awesome companion there my friend my wife is just now starting to come around on my sickness :lol: By the way if you were in dusty deserts of AZ I would definitely like to fish with you my friend keep it up keep going down the dark rabbit hole I'm resting on my laurels as of late as my journey has slowed quite substantially, though I found my goodies that I will ride until the wheels fall off =P~ TT help keep us addicted 8-)