A Lesson Worth Sharing

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2407
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:24 am

My $100 13 Omen is a better feeling rod than my MB Perfect Pitch was. Was, as in I sold it off. No more MB rods for me. :lol: I wont spend more than $200 on a rod, unless its a $200 or over rod that is on sale for under $200. :lol:
<")))><{

User avatar
Cristo
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1275
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:13 am
Location: The Dusty Basin

Re: A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by Cristo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:25 am

Blasphemy!!! Oh I forgot we're not in any enthusiasm section :lol:
"I don't keep track of time, otherwise time will keep track of you" .....Cambo

User avatar
Cristo
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1275
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:13 am
Location: The Dusty Basin

Re: A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by Cristo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:26 am

I will double this sentiment on the omen black 13 fishing rods the OG originals were unbelievable for how much coin you had to pay out I liked them so much I used them for salt fishing as well =D>
"I don't keep track of time, otherwise time will keep track of you" .....Cambo

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1633
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by toddmc » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:35 pm

Megabass is known for their workmanship, limited availability, and very specific actions for specific applications. Customers expect a durable blank for the prices that Megabass charges. Also, Megabass probably can't afford to replace a lot of broken rods with their likely high labor costs and the smaller size of their company. A lot of the most sensitive blanks aren't real durable. There can be a lot of risk in using them. All of this probably plays into the type of rods that Megabass builds.

Cranky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 am

Re: A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by Cranky » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:20 pm

I’m actually shocked to see this topic on TT.

I thought I might be the only crazy one after switching to Evergreen. Had lots of MB variants over the years but I liked my first EG more than any of them... then the second was even better... then the... (you get the picture).

:mrgreen:

Polkfish1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:35 pm

Cranky wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:20 pm
I’m actually shocked to see this topic on TT.

I thought I might be the only crazy one after switching to Evergreen. Had lots of MB variants over the years but I liked my first EG more than any of them... then the second was even better... then the... (you get the picture).

:mrgreen:

Megabass has always made great rods and still does, but they can’t all be zingers I suppose. Like some others have mentioned, I also don’t care for much after P3 and X7. Personal choice. They also don’t seem small batch, extra craftsmanship anymore. The company has grown. But, it was my gateway drug for sure. Then I found an ultima and realised what could be gained. Then came EG, certain daiwas, luxxe and I became woke in similar fashion to Goldenrod. Investment was in the same ballpark, but I was finding a whole new level of performance. I now am more discerning about my rods from the east. Still, mb will always have a place for me. There’s certain slant models that are among my most treasured rods and sensitivity is not the reason. WP slant, Mephisto slant, P3 bearing down and certain X7s will always be the deal for me.

Cranky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 am

Re: A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by Cranky » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:44 pm

Agreed that MB makes lots of nice rods. They have a certain style to them for sure. I just prefer Evergreen right now, fit my hand perfectly and love the performance and style. Luxxe, Ultima, Steez RD, etc. there are lots of really amazing JDM rods out there.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 3491
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by goldrod » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:57 pm

Cranky wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:44 pm
Agreed that MB makes lots of nice rods. They have a certain style to them for sure. I just prefer Evergreen right now, fit my hand perfectly and love the performance and style. Luxxe, Ultima, Steez RD, etc. there are lots of really amazing JDM rods out there.
Which Steez RD do you suggest for Trigs and Jigs?
and where do you think they are in terms of performance compared to the Luxe and Ultima?
Chase your dreams for they won't chase you.

Cranky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 am

Re: A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by Cranky » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:10 pm

It would only be an opinion on paper since I haven’t fished all the comparable rods from each brand. The Steez RD 7011H would be the heavy Trig/Jig rod from that lineup. They’re all regarded extremely highly for good reason.

doomtrprz71
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:35 am

Re: A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by doomtrprz71 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:32 am

goldrod wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:38 pm
Cristo wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:05 pm
Goldie after his experience with rods other than MB :lol:
Image
Even my son said dad are you okay I said I am.
When I joined this site there was a lot of talk about gear and I could not afford $700 rods ( still can’t unless I have to ) so I ventured out and got a IMX843. Surely this rod can’t do all the things Ive read about. It did and I still have it right now. I got promiscuous and went all around the bush, st croix , cumara, Dobyns and megabass. I’ve always wanted to downsize and made up my mind not to buy another rod rack. this weekend I went out with another TT’er and he had four rods.

I had a heart to heart with my wife about what I was thinking and what I had experienced. My wife asked me what happed out there, because you different. Do you want to start completely over?
I bought into the MB for a long time and I maintain my position that the x7 is a great line up. I really like the emtf and f7-71.
When I fished with the other members setups I was blown away.
We were fishing 12-15’ of water in what seemed like a tropical storm and he was plucking fish from the depths. I had to go to a Kistler h3 casting rod and drropshot structure as we drifted.
I went to a Kistler H3, cost comparison to my least expensive MB rod is absolutely absurd.
ANYWAYS
He was nedrigging and although I didn’t catch fish on his setups I could feel everything.

The conditions were horrible and almost impossible. I talked it over with the wife And expressed my concerns.

So from a comfort and sensitivity view point
I know that MB is lacking for what they are asking for their rods
compared to other JDM rods.
And every mb rod can’t be your favorite rod. I do like the power versatile but the X7’s just are better built rods.
I’m looking for a evergreen rod to jig fish with I am researching now and have started saving for that an the new Antares.
I’m not loyal to any brand but I have converted to a higher level of quality. That and peace of mind alone makes it worth it to me.

Thanks to the fellow TT.er who went out with me.
I guess I need to quit putting off getting a kistler helium then

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4779
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:42 am

I'll say this; the Helium H3 7'1 LMH rod is more sensitive than either of the NRX (853, 873) that I've used.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

User avatar
389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1446
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:15 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by 389Maverick » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:22 am

I’m kinda baffled, you can’t be mentioning premium and then turning a blind eye on price :-s
Also, I wouldn’t necessarily utilize “mass production” and then slip in Luxxe into the mix :shock:
I see lots of subjectivity in your post, which is perfectly fine, but a lot needs to be taken into account when it comes to rods. Rolled in house, offshore/OEM, components, blank material, warranty, availability.

I am affiliated with MB, and not afraid to admit, that some rod series within Megabass are far more sensitive than its previous or current offerings.
Wasn’t a fan of the X4 in terms of sensitivity, but great components and dependable blank make it a wonderful treble hook rod. Plenty of obscure JDM rods are out there, Yamaga, Zenaq, Seditions, Designo to name a few, some harder to source, some practically impossible, all subjective as to sensitivity, with fluctuating price points, and understanding your competition is always a good thing.

That being said, subjectivity taken into account, a good friend was able to handle a prototype Destroyer Laiha which is part of the MPW (Megabass Performance Works) program……and he was blown away!
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

i_am_R2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by i_am_R2 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:29 am

389Maverick wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:22 am
I’m kinda baffled, you can’t be mentioning premium and then turning a blind eye on price :-s
Also, I wouldn’t necessarily utilize “mass production” and then slip in Luxxe into the mix :shock:
I see lots of subjectivity in your post, which is perfectly fine, but a lot needs to be taken into account when it comes to rods. Rolled in house, offshore/OEM, components, blank material, warranty, availability.

I am affiliated with MB, and not afraid to admit, that some rod series within Megabass are far more sensitive than its previous or current offerings.
Wasn’t a fan of the X4 in terms of sensitivity, but great components and dependable blank make it a wonderful treble hook rod. Plenty of obscure JDM rods are out there, Yamaga, Zenaq, Seditions, Designo to name a few, some harder to source, some practically impossible, all subjective as to sensitivity, with fluctuating price points, and understanding your competition is always a good thing.

That being said, subjectivity taken into account, a good friend was able to handle a prototype Destroyer Laiha which is part of the MPW (Megabass Performance Works) program……and he was blown away!
Sorry to sidetrack, but any word on when the Laiha might be available? Curious to hear more info on it.

User avatar
389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1446
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:15 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by 389Maverick » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:46 am

i_am_R2 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:29 am
389Maverick wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:22 am
I’m kinda baffled, you can’t be mentioning premium and then turning a blind eye on price :-s
Also, I wouldn’t necessarily utilize “mass production” and then slip in Luxxe into the mix :shock:
I see lots of subjectivity in your post, which is perfectly fine, but a lot needs to be taken into account when it comes to rods. Rolled in house, offshore/OEM, components, blank material, warranty, availability.

I am affiliated with MB, and not afraid to admit, that some rod series within Megabass are far more sensitive than its previous or current offerings.
Wasn’t a fan of the X4 in terms of sensitivity, but great components and dependable blank make it a wonderful treble hook rod. Plenty of obscure JDM rods are out there, Yamaga, Zenaq, Seditions, Designo to name a few, some harder to source, some practically impossible, all subjective as to sensitivity, with fluctuating price points, and understanding your competition is always a good thing.

That being said, subjectivity taken into account, a good friend was able to handle a prototype Destroyer Laiha which is part of the MPW (Megabass Performance Works) program……and he was blown away!
Sorry to sidetrack, but any word on when the Laiha might be available? Curious to hear more info on it.
No ETA at the moment, still in the prototype stages is my understanding.
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

i_am_R2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by i_am_R2 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:50 pm

389Maverick wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:46 am
i_am_R2 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:29 am
389Maverick wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:22 am
I’m kinda baffled, you can’t be mentioning premium and then turning a blind eye on price :-s
Also, I wouldn’t necessarily utilize “mass production” and then slip in Luxxe into the mix :shock:
I see lots of subjectivity in your post, which is perfectly fine, but a lot needs to be taken into account when it comes to rods. Rolled in house, offshore/OEM, components, blank material, warranty, availability.

I am affiliated with MB, and not afraid to admit, that some rod series within Megabass are far more sensitive than its previous or current offerings.
Wasn’t a fan of the X4 in terms of sensitivity, but great components and dependable blank make it a wonderful treble hook rod. Plenty of obscure JDM rods are out there, Yamaga, Zenaq, Seditions, Designo to name a few, some harder to source, some practically impossible, all subjective as to sensitivity, with fluctuating price points, and understanding your competition is always a good thing.

That being said, subjectivity taken into account, a good friend was able to handle a prototype Destroyer Laiha which is part of the MPW (Megabass Performance Works) program……and he was blown away!
Sorry to sidetrack, but any word on when the Laiha might be available? Curious to hear more info on it.
No ETA at the moment, still in the prototype stages is my understanding.
Gotcha. Thanks!

Post Reply