NRX 901 SJR Special Run

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Real
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:32 pm

Re: NRX 901 SJR Special Run

Post by Real » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:56 am

I've got a 901 but it's not part of the Special Run, it's a rod I have had for about 5 years. I use it to drift shad darts in current during the shad run we have here in Canada. It's the best rod I have used for light lures, no contact with the bottom type presentation. It's paired with a Stella 2500. Great outfit. Soft enough to cast lures from 1/8 to 1/16 oz pretty far but stiff enough to hook fish from a distance. Very sensitive also.
Last edited by Real on Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4150
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:32 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: NRX 901 SJR Special Run

Post by cndbasshunter » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:44 pm

what the johnstons and most of the big stick use for hair jigs.

HobeyBaker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: NRX 901 SJR Special Run

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:08 pm

I ordered one the other day. I was told to not expect it until the middle of December. What weight reel does this need to balance? I've heard that it's a little tip heavy like the other long NRX rods.

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1759
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: NRX 901 SJR Special Run

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:57 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:08 pm
I ordered one the other day. I was told to not expect it until the middle of December. What weight reel does this need to balance? I've heard that it's a little tip heavy like the other long NRX rods.
I'm putting a 2500 stella fj on mine.

HobeyBaker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: NRX 901 SJR Special Run

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:29 am

I want to put a 4000 size reel on it because of the larger spool diameter. This is going to be used to bomb hair jigs and other light lures.

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1759
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: NRX 901 SJR Special Run

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:03 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:29 am
I want to put a 4000 size reel on it because of the larger spool diameter. This is going to be used to bomb hair jigs and other light lures.
I use 10lb braid so I don't think it will make a huge difference in a 2500 vs a 4000 size reel :-k

HobeyBaker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: NRX 901 SJR Special Run

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:44 pm

The larger spool diameter aids in casting distance. An extra five yards on the cast can be the difference of a fish or not.

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1759
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: NRX 901 SJR Special Run

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:55 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:44 pm
The larger spool diameter aids in casting distance. An extra five yards on the cast can be the difference of a fish or not.
Well then, better get the Shimano Stella SWB 30000

HobeyBaker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: NRX 901 SJR Special Run

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:58 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:55 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:44 pm
The larger spool diameter aids in casting distance. An extra five yards on the cast can be the difference of a fish or not.
Well then, better get the Shimano Stella SWB 30000
Lol. I'm just saying most of the top anglers prefer the 4000 size reels. I've talked to Seth Feider about it. They will take the trade-off of the additional weight of the 2500 vs 4000 size reels for the larger spool and better drag.

HobeyBaker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: NRX 901 SJR Special Run

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:04 pm

Here’s a webinar with Josh Douglas and Seth Feider. 35 minutes in and they talk about hair jigs. He uses an old 3000 size Daiwa which is now a 4000 size reel.

https://youtu.be/8RKf4yJhb4g

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1759
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: NRX 901 SJR Special Run

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:54 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:04 pm
Here’s a webinar with Josh Douglas and Seth Feider. 35 minutes in and they talk about hair jigs. He uses an old 3000 size Daiwa which is now a 4000 size reel.

https://youtu.be/8RKf4yJhb4g
I have a 3000 certate and a 2500 stella and I can't tell the difference between them when casting.
Just sayin....

My 901 will be here Friday, I will put my stella on it and see if it will outcast my Flyssa/Certate combo :big grin:

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:56 am

Re: NRX 901 SJR Special Run

Post by Revofisher » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:59 pm

yeah i see all the pros use 4000 size reels. i tried it for a bit and could not get use to it because of the balance it gave the set ups threw me off might be ok on a 7'6 rod though.

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1759
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: NRX 901 SJR Special Run

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:19 pm

Revofisher wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:59 pm
yeah i see all the pros use 4000 size reels. i tried it for a bit and could not get use to it because of the balance it gave the set ups threw me off might be ok on a 7'6 rod though.
I noticed that also, but I've never tried a 4000 size reel for bass fishing.

I will try a Vanquish 4000 if someone wants to buy me one though haha.

I've pretty much settled on 2500 size shimano and 3000 size daiwa spinning reels except for ice fishing, that when I use
500 and 1000 size shimano's

Real
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:32 pm

Re: NRX 901 SJR Special Run

Post by Real » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:52 am

I've tried using 3000 and 4000 series reels with the 901 and it got me a bit more distance but not 5 yards more. Most 4000 series are 1 ounce or 1.2 once more than 2500 so it's not a lot but for hair flies, you are casting a lot so a lighter outfit is an advantage. The best distance I got was with a 3000 series Exsence .

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1759
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: NRX 901 SJR Special Run

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Got my 901 today, its been a while since I purchased a new NRX
The build looks excellent, epoxy and strait guides, typical NRX cork, balance is good for a 7'6"

Its definitely softer in action compared to the Megabass Flyssa and the balance is the same, the 901 is a little whippy.

I would not consider this blank to be a extra fast action, it more of a fast action, this blank loads deep.

Its gonna be fun to fish and getting a nice fish on this rod is going to be a blast...


Does balance refer to how you hold a rod or how it balances on 1 finger?
I hold my spinning rods with the stem of the reel between my right ring finger and my pinky.

I hold like this dude LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8arGjE1pmms

Post Reply