Sensitivity

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Sensitivity

Post by goldrod » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:01 am

What makes a rod more or less sensitive?
I’m thinking about another rod build and with the mention of JDM rods that are hailed in the highest regard in terms of sensitivity it made me pose the question.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Sensitivity

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:16 am

I would put my custom Lamiglas Infinity up against any rod out there in terms of sensitivity. I can feel a t-rigged worm ticking individual blades of grass. In pea gravel, it feels like I'm dragging it down a dirt road with fresh gravel. The thickness of the blank material, actual composition of the blank, how tightly it is rolled on the mandrel, curing temperature, how much or how little it is sanded, whether it is bare or painted, balance point of the rod, guide composition/placement, what day of the week it was built, how you palm your reel, etc, etc, etc. There are so many variables, I doubt anyone could even list them all.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:59 pm

Lol, can't feel $#!+ with a Friday rod!
This is the way.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:12 pm

I think the way a rod feels in hand plays a big part. If the weight, balance and reel seat make the rod comfortable for you to use then it will be sensitive. I know if the handle and reel seat aren't comfortable to me I'll be adjusting my grip constantly and then my focus is split between fishing and trying to get a better grip. When you lose focus then you aren't feeling as much with the rod as someone who is comfortable with the rod.
Barlow's Tackle

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:25 pm

^^^ Good point.
This is the way.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:15 pm

I agree with all the above variables make a rod more or less sensitive. Even amongst a line of rods all of the same materials there are models that are more sensitive than others. Take the MB X7’s. To most people who talk about the models that are sensitive most would say the Super Eiger is the one. To me the Western flip is the most sensitive model. I don’t use it for bottom contact, but when i first got the full line I put tungsten weights on 6 of them and dragged them across the bottom of my pool. The Western flip was noticeably more sensitive than the rest. I measured the diameter of the blanks at the base of the rods because it made me curious. Here are my measurements for these rods from thinnest blank to thickest...
Super Eiger : 10.2 mm at 6’9”
Western Flip : 11mm at 7’6”
Extreme Mission: 12.6 at 7’5”
Bearing Down type X :12.8mm at 6’11”
Diablo Fast Move : 13mm at 7’
The Destruction: 13mm at 7’10”
With only .8mm difference in diameter, but 9” in length. I tend to think a longer rod will transfer vibration better than a shorter rod with the same blank diameter. To me the Western flip is the most sensitive followed by the the Super Eiger then the Destruction. The Extreme mission is next followed by the DIablo. The Bearing down has the stinger tip on it so it has a really different feel to it and puts makes it hard for me to place with the rest of these rods. It may not be valid or the only reason the WF feels more sensitive to me, but it’s all I could come up with. Number one factor is your hands. The only connection point between you and the rod.

hasnoboat1
Angler
Angler

Post by hasnoboat1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:06 am

I have tried most of the high end rods and built on several the best blanks.
Imo the blank is what makes the biggest difference. Line is #2 and guides #3.

I cannot build anything that feels as sensitive to me as a conquest does.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:50 am

hasnoboat1 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:06 am

let me try that conquest to see if I agree.... :D :big grin:

Im thinking of having a rod built for bottom contact. it will probably be my next to last rod
Im not sure on the blank to use.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Johnny marks
Angler
Angler

Post by Johnny marks » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:35 pm

hasnoboat1 wrote:

how would the guides factor in sensitivity?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:38 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:16 am
I would put my custom Lamiglas Infinity up against any rod out there in terms of sensitivity. I can feel a t-rigged worm ticking individual blades of grass. In pea gravel, it feels like I'm dragging it down a dirt road with fresh gravel. The thickness of the blank material, actual composition of the blank, how tightly it is rolled on the mandrel, curing temperature, how much or how little it is sanded, whether it is bare or painted, balance point of the rod, guide composition/placement, what day of the week it was built, how you palm your reel, etc, etc, etc. There are so many variables, I doubt anyone could even list them all.
This. Perfectly describes a Point Blank rod blank, which I can't recommend highly enough.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:56 pm

Johnny marks wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:35 pm
hasnoboat1 wrote:

Ring and frame material both play a factor in sensitivity. Remember, the line doesn't contact the blank, or it's not supposed to, anyway. The harder the rings, the better vibration transmission, and the stiffer the frame material, the better vibration transmits to the blank. Smaller guides spaced closer together give you more line contact points, which naturally gives greater sensitivity. Also, heavier guides make a rod tip-heavy, which robs you of sensitivity, no matter how nice of a blank you're fishing. And since lighter guides are almost invariably more expensive, the old adage holds true-you get what you pay for.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hasnoboat1
Angler
Angler

Post by hasnoboat1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:56 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:56 pm
Johnny marks wrote:
hasnoboat1 wrote:

Ring and frame material both play a factor in sensitivity. Remember, the line doesn't contact the blank, or it's not supposed to, anyway. The harder the rings, the better vibration transmission, and the stiffer the frame material, the better vibration transmits to the blank. Smaller guides spaced closer together give you more line contact points, which naturally gives greater sensitivity. Also, heavier guides make a rod tip-heavy, which robs you of sensitivity, no matter how nice of a blank you're fishing. And since lighter guides are almost invariably more expensive, the old adage holds true-you get what you pay for.
I agree. the higher end guides have stiffer frames, harder ring material and are also lighter which helps as well.
With all that being said IMHO a guide above the quality of a fuji gun smoke sic doesnt gain you that much if you aren't trying to spend $200 on guides.

i use titanium torzite and recoil guides!!!

hasnoboat1
Angler
Angler

Post by hasnoboat1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:10 pm

2 years ago i did a "build the ultimate rod for me project " after i decided i did'nt have enough info to even make componant selections for a custom rod builder.

I bought...and built on.
North fork hm blank
Saint Croix 5 blank
point blank blank
K2 blank

i also bought all the fancy guides and weighed them.
After all those tests, weights and builds my opinion is that the best , lightest most sensitve bottom contact soft plastic bass rod I can build for me is a K2 with tit torzite reduction guides and recoil running quides with tit torzite tip.

....But I cant build anything quite as good as the ugly shimano loomis conquest so my last 4 rods have been bought... and they aren't as pretty. :cry:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:50 pm

hasnoboat1 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:56 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:56 pm
Johnny marks wrote:
hasnoboat1 wrote:

I agree. the higher end guides have stiffer frames, harder ring material and are also lighter which helps as well.
With all that being said IMHO a guide above the quality of a fuji gun smoke sic doesnt gain you that much if you aren't trying to spend $200 on guides.

i use titanium torzite and recoil guides!!!
I will agree with that, sort of. I would go up to the Fuji titanium-frame guides with SiC rings, due to the lighter weight. Above that, the law of diminishing returns takes effect, imho.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:49 pm

hasnoboat1 wrote:

What conquests are you using?

You really think they are ugly?

This is just my opinion but I feel like my NRX is a little more sensitive vs the conquest, what the conquest has
over the NRX is lightness, responsiveness, power while still be a very sensitive rod, plus it looks damn sexy.