Loose rod grip

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Post Reply
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Loose rod grip

Post by poisonokie » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:08 pm

The grip behind the reel seat one one of my rods broke loose and spins freely. Any suggestions as to how to fix it? Maybe a needle point bottle of super glue on both ends? Thanks.
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5125
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Loose rod grip

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:22 pm

Will it slide away from the reel seat at all?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Loose rod grip

Post by poisonokie » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:14 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:22 pm
Will it slide away from the reel seat at all?
No, there's a check at the back side that doesn't move, but the EVA and the check between that and the reel seat both spin.
This is the way.

Polkfish1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 502
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: Loose rod grip

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:44 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:14 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:22 pm
Will it slide away from the reel seat at all?
No, there's a check at the back side that doesn't move, but the EVA and the check between that and the reel seat both spin.
This happened to me on a zbone not too long ago. I tried a few different epoxies after a special trip to the local hardware and all failed after a few to several casts. Then, like you suggest, I simply used regular super glue. Grip has help firm for months. It’s a punching rod that gets a lot of heavy use and it’s held strong.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Loose rod grip

Post by poisonokie » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:53 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:44 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:14 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:22 pm
Will it slide away from the reel seat at all?
No, there's a check at the back side that doesn't move, but the EVA and the check between that and the reel seat both spin.
This happened to me on a zbone not too long ago. I tried a few different epoxies after a special trip to the local hardware and all failed after a few to several casts. Then, like you suggest, I simply used regular super glue. Grip has help firm for months. It’s a punching rod that gets a lot of heavy use and it’s held strong.
Good. To. Hear.
Mine is a frog/heavy vegetation worm/jig rod, so it sees a lot of hardcore use, too. The grip and the ring in front of it both came loose and will rotate and slide maybe 3/32" between the reel seat and winding check behind it, so I figure I'll space everything out the best I can and pretty much spot weld it all in place before going all the way around all the joints to really secure it down. Thanks for the feedback!

Which glue did you use?
This is the way.

Polkfish1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 502
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: Loose rod grip

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:04 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:53 pm
Polkfish1 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:44 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:14 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:22 pm
Will it slide away from the reel seat at all?
No, there's a check at the back side that doesn't move, but the EVA and the check between that and the reel seat both spin.
This happened to me on a zbone not too long ago. I tried a few different epoxies after a special trip to the local hardware and all failed after a few to several casts. Then, like you suggest, I simply used regular super glue. Grip has help firm for months. It’s a punching rod that gets a lot of heavy use and it’s held strong.
Good. To. Hear.
Mine is a frog/heavy vegetation worm/jig rod, so it sees a lot of hardcore use, too. The grip and the ring in front of it both came loose and will rotate and slide maybe 3/32" between the reel seat and winding check behind it, so I figure I'll space everything out the best I can and pretty much spot weld it all in place before going all the way around all the joints to really secure it down. Thanks for the feedback!

Which glue did you use?
It was Kazy Glue (Craft) as on label. My entire grip came lose and dislodged from the cork. I just put a healthy amount all the way around, lodges it back into place, wiped excess, and 24 hrs later it was perfect in doing it’s job. Looks wise, I could have done better.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Loose rod grip

Post by poisonokie » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:19 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:04 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:53 pm
Polkfish1 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:44 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:14 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:22 pm
Will it slide away from the reel seat at all?
No, there's a check at the back side that doesn't move, but the EVA and the check between that and the reel seat both spin.
This happened to me on a zbone not too long ago. I tried a few different epoxies after a special trip to the local hardware and all failed after a few to several casts. Then, like you suggest, I simply used regular super glue. Grip has help firm for months. It’s a punching rod that gets a lot of heavy use and it’s held strong.
Good. To. Hear.
Mine is a frog/heavy vegetation worm/jig rod, so it sees a lot of hardcore use, too. The grip and the ring in front of it both came loose and will rotate and slide maybe 3/32" between the reel seat and winding check behind it, so I figure I'll space everything out the best I can and pretty much spot weld it all in place before going all the way around all the joints to really secure it down. Thanks for the feedback!

Which glue did you use?
It was Kazy Glue (Craft) as on label. My entire grip came lose and dislodged from the cork. I just put a healthy amount all the way around, lodges it back into place, wiped excess, and 24 hrs later it was perfect in doing it’s job. Looks wise, I could have done better.
That was my experience, too. I did the same thing and it actually looked pretty good, but I thought it had set up when it was still too wet and it started to run down the EVA when I stuck it back on the rack, so then I had to try and wipe off the runoff and even the rest out, so it kind of turned into a mess. I mostly cleaned up the grip, but it's rough around the spots I want it to be, so hopefully I can sand it down smooth or add just a little more and keep it turning until it sets up. As long as the grip is locked down I'll be happy, though. That's the main thing.
This is the way.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 8:51 am
Location: The other west coast - SW, MI

Re: Loose rod grip

Post by Schlag » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:05 am

I would wrap the EVA with painters tape, and keep rotating the rod until the crazy glue sets. When I rehabbed the cork on my old Powell Max, I just used a shoe box with the lid off and cut halfmoon tabs on the top of the box to lay the rod on. It makes it easier to rotate the rod.

Good luck on the fix!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Loose rod grip

Post by poisonokie » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:12 pm

Schlag wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:05 am
I would wrap the EVA with painters tape, and keep rotating the rod until the crazy glue sets. When I rehabbed the cork on my old Powell Max, I just used a shoe box with the lid off and cut halfmoon tabs on the top of the box to lay the rod on. It makes it easier to rotate the rod.

Good luck on the fix!
I thought about taping it, but didn't know if it would wind up super gluing the tape down too. That's some good advice. I go some 220 grit sandpaper to try and clean it up. We shall see.
This is the way.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 2322
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Loose rod grip

Post by mark poulson » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:48 am

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:12 pm
Schlag wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:05 am
I would wrap the EVA with painters tape, and keep rotating the rod until the crazy glue sets. When I rehabbed the cork on my old Powell Max, I just used a shoe box with the lid off and cut halfmoon tabs on the top of the box to lay the rod on. It makes it easier to rotate the rod.

Good luck on the fix!
I thought about taping it, but didn't know if it would wind up super gluing the tape down too. That's some good advice. I go some 220 grit sandpaper to try and clean it up. We shall see.
Acetone is the solvent for super glue, so you might try wrapping a rag soaked in acetone around the messed up glue, and then try rubbing it down after a minute or two. You should see some improvement right away. You can repeat until it looks good again.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5125
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Loose rod grip

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:01 pm

Acetone will attack EVA(and most other plastics), so not a good idea.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1934
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Loose rod grip

Post by poisonokie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:51 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:01 pm
Acetone will attack EVA(and most other plastics), so not a good idea.
I was thinking it might screw up the EVA. I'll probably just use a q-tip to clean it up around the reel seat a little and maybe try sanding the grip a little. It really doesn't look that bad and I'm more concerned that it be functional.
This is the way.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 2322
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Loose rod grip

Post by mark poulson » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:17 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:01 pm
Acetone will attack EVA(and most other plastics), so not a good idea.
Oops. I forgot about that.
I guess I'm just a cork guy in my thinking.

Post Reply