Jig rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Johnny marks
Angler
Angler

Jig rod

Post by Johnny marks » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:53 am

Looking for a jig and trig rod to fish 1/2 jigs around heavy cover i fish the California delta so I’ll be pitching jigs around grass tulles rip rap and etc lots of different type of cover In the delta I’m looking into the g loomis conquest 904c. I have a rod to punch the heavy slop in the delta but that rod is to much for 3/8-1/2 oz weights so would like to add a rod to handle my 1/2 jigs would the 904c be powerful enough or should i look Into something different also interested in kistler z bones

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Jig rod

Post by bronzefly » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:06 am

Two favorites of mine for those applications are the Steez AGS 76H and the St. Croix Legend Elite 74H. If you wanted something a little shorter that's a phenomenal jig/plastics pitching rod, the Megabass F6-71X FMJ is a great option, or even the 71H Steez AGS.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:30 am

Johnny marks wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:53 am
Looking for a jig and trig rod to fish 1/2 jigs around heavy cover i fish the California delta so I’ll be pitching jigs around grass tulles rip rap and etc lots of different type of cover In the delta I’m looking into the g loomis conquest 904c. I have a rod to punch the heavy slop in the delta but that rod is to much for 3/8-1/2 oz weights so would like to add a rod to handle my 1/2 jigs would the 904c be powerful enough or should i look Into something different also interested in kistler z bones
If you're going to be in any gnarly cover I would go with the LE5 Z-Bone, plenty of power and a nice taper to keep them pinned.
The 904c is a fantastic rod, mine gets used in scattered grass and rip rap no prob. I have both and feel like I'm covered.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:35 am

St Croix rod that Gary mentioned is well worth it.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Johnny marks
Angler
Angler

Post by Johnny marks » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:36 pm

TommyG wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:30 am
Johnny marks wrote:
If you're going to be in any gnarly cover I would go with the LE5 Z-Bone, plenty of power and a nice taper to keep them pinned.
The 904c is a fantastic rod, mine gets used in scattered grass and rip rap no prob. I have both and feel like I'm covered.
yeah in the delta if you aint punching the heavy matted grass and heavy cheese your throwing jigs and trigs around rip rap and scatterd grass

Johnny marks
Angler
Angler

Post by Johnny marks » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:37 pm

TommyG wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:30 am
Johnny marks wrote:
which length z bone 7'6 7'3 or 7'0

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:44 am

7-6