Sensory Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
BelDozer
Angler
Angler

Sensory Rods

Post by BelDozer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:08 am

Looks like 6th Sense just droppped their new line of rods. I gotta say I’m not a huge fan of the full EVA handle, but other than that they look real nice. I’m interested in What their quality and durability will be like. I like their crankbaits and jigs a lot.

https://6thsensefishing.com/collections ... sting-rods

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Sensory Rods

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:13 am

They could be nice. Better be for $250. I like those reel seats, but the pipe it's built on looks kinda skinny.
This is the way.

BelDozer
Angler
Angler

Post by BelDozer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:23 am

I’m no engineer, far from it, and I am naive to how rod blanks are made, but the wrapping pattern of the carbon fiber/graphene or whatever doesn’t look that strong with that spiral wrap. I would think a cross pattern like you see on shimano and megabass would be stronger. Looks cool though.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:27 am

BelDozer wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:23 am
I’m no engineer, far from it, and I am naive to how rod blanks are made, but the wrapping pattern of the carbon fiber/graphene or whatever doesn’t look that strong with that spiral wrap. I would think a cross pattern like you see on shimano and megabass would be stronger. Looks cool though.
Did you find pics elsewhere? I didn't notice that at all.
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:29 am

Nope, thats a miss for me. That SK2 seat sucks. The trigger is way too thick and short.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:45 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:29 am
Nope, thats a miss for me. That SK2 seat sucks. The trigger is way too thick and short.
I could see how they would be better suited for finesse setups, but executed correctly they're super comfortable. With an Alphas or Steez it's easy to wrap all four fingers around the pipe in front of the trigger, the thickness of which provides a comfortable place to rest your little finger.

The skeleton seat on the rod in question doesn't appear to be built on a pipe at all, despite the shape at the front of the trigger, so I don't imagine it would feel too comfortable after a short stint of use.
This is the way.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:57 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:45 am
I could see how they would be better suited for finesse setups, but executed correctly they're super comfortable. ... I don't imagine it would feel too comfortable after a short stint of use.
I'm not understanding something here.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:26 pm

Bronzeye wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:57 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:45 am
I could see how they would be better suited for finesse setups, but executed correctly they're super comfortable. ... I don't imagine it would feel too comfortable after a short stint of use.
I'm not understanding something here.
The one pictured is built on a carbon pipe the same diameter as the extrusion on the front side of the trigger which makes it very comfortable, while the rod in the link has bare blank in front of the trigger so there's less to grab on to, and the front of the trigger as well as the thin blank will dig into your fingers while palming the reel.

Maybe these pictures will illustrate what I mean:

This is the way.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:03 am

Thanks for the response and pictures, poisonokie. I didn't understand that one of the sentences I quoted referred to a rod pictured in a prior link.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:50 pm

[quote=Bronzeye post_id=655732 time=1560017036 user_id=5309]
Thanks for the response and pictures, poisonokie. I didn't understand that one of the sentences I quoted referred to a rod pictured in a prior link.
[/quote]

Sure thing. Maybe the blank on those 6th Sense rods is thick enough that it won't matter much. I was mainly making a case for skeleton reel seats. I think they're great and increase sensitivity, but all the rods I have with them are BFS, too. I could see them not being long enough for a good grip when slinging heavier baits, but I don't know for sure.
This is the way.