Crankbaits rod For ToPwATers

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Crankbaits rod For ToPwATers

Post by goldrod » Wed May 15, 2019 9:34 pm

I have an old M/H Crankbaits rod, old cork crucial to be exact and i threw my conquest 50 on it.
I was going to use it for poppers or topwater prop baits.

Does anyone else use a Crankbait rod for topwater? do you use mono , copo or braid?
I've been thinking about shifting to 50lb V2

What has your experience been wien using a c/b rod for topwaters?
Its a Med heavy 3/8 to 1oz rod I think I will be okay? i have 22lb deifier on it now. Could I get away with using a spook style bait on it?
looking for real life experiences thanks
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Crankbaits rod For ToPwATers

Post by mthao105 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 pm

I use a XX Flatside Special for smaller topwaters like the rio rico and super spook jr without any issues. I threw a super spook on it once also, but I prefer a more powerful rod for that.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Thu May 16, 2019 6:23 am

I personally prefer a medium fast taper for topwaters. Better and more responsive at working the baits. The Taper also lends itself to hooking up with fish for me. I’ve used crankbait rods before, but found I had to work the rod more to make the same action I can get from a medium fast rod using little shorter wrist or arm movements which helps with fatigue over a long hot day. To me it’s similar to working a jerkbait on a cranking rod. Gonna have to make bigger pops of the rod to make it move. If I was using a cranking rod I would definitely be using braid to help the softer taper on hooksets cause you won’t need line stretch the rod should keep fish pinned. There are some pluses and minuses but no wrong way to do it. I just prefer a little more backbone faster than any of my cranking rods offer.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Thu May 16, 2019 7:33 am

I used to use old glass rods from Powell in my early days for basically all trebles, but my jerkbait applications. For me the softer the better in a lot of cases as once they have those treble hooks in their face/throat I find glass is super nice to play the fish and tire them out. Goldie I suppose it would depend too if you're going to be fishing near cover or around it and how much power going to require to get a fish out of cover. in my personal experience I don't like powerful rods for treble hook applications just because I've never been in a situation where I'm needed at horse a fish out of cover. usually just get them tired and get to that spot where they settled into the weeds or cover and just gently pull the Beast out gillie suit and all :lol: again I fish I'm like most so this is all relative too. One rod you may want to check out depending on your length preference is the Cyclone specimens in my opinion that is a great heritage for smaller treble hook say three quarter ounce and Below maybe 5/8 ounce. Also you can't go wrong with Dobbins glass or if you still like graphite for your treble hook needs can't go wrong with Loomis either. As far as the line choice man I always go small as I can too and I also personally don't care if it's fluorocarbon or mono as in most cases I don't find that it affects my type of fishing too much to bother my tuning for situational fishing but I also prefer braid for topwater =P~ okay enough of my ramblings on to the next thread for me peace

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Thu May 16, 2019 7:37 am

Oh shoot before I leave Goldie, you should check out the Super Cyclone as far as your weight range needs as it looks like you're wanting something that can go up to 1 oz looks like MB covered that with this new specimen 8-) my bad talk text sucks didn't translate Dobyns correctly :doh: and just as a frame of reference to I had an old Powell 753 glass that was so sick for quarter ounce to 1 ounce applications, so sick like fugu!!!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu May 16, 2019 7:46 am

It really depends on the bait. As far as I'm concerned there is no all encompassing TW rod. Length, power, and action are all considerations to take into account depending on the size and type of bait you're looking to throw.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu May 16, 2019 7:59 am

Longer, slower tapered glass or glass composite cranking rods are fine for something like a Pompadour where all you do is chuck and wind, but even then you need a lot of backbone for a good hookset after they take it under. I've used the Tatula 721MHRB and Zillion 801MHRB glass rods with great success for straight pull topwaters.

For baits you have to work you really need a shorter, stiffer, better balanced carbon rod to make popping and walking much easier and more effective. The aforementioned regular to regular fast action is best. If the tip is too soft it will be harder to walk the dog and if the belly is too stiff it will be harder to keep them pinned. My rods for this are a 65ML/RF, 66M/R, AND 67MH/RF.

Irrespective of the bait used I think braid to nylon leader works best.
This is the way.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri May 17, 2019 6:50 am

Nice intel Poision =D> Definitely not necessarily just one rod but some can come pretty close ;) Goldie as you know hooks baby, get them sticky icky to insure the prey get a face full of trebles :big grin:

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri May 17, 2019 8:01 am

Cristo wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:50 am
Nice intel Poision =D> Definitely not necessarily just one rod but some can come pretty close ;) Goldie as you know hooks baby, get them sticky icky to insure the prey get a face full of trebles :big grin:
Thanks! As a topwater enthusiast I feel duty bound to disseminate the best information I can muster.

You're right about some rods being close to being universal topwater rods. Something like a fairly stiff carbon 6'10" M/R-RF jerkbait/shallow cranking rod will handle most anything from Ricos to Shower Blows 105's. It's not too long to prevent easily working the baits and is long enough for long casts.

Very true about the hooks. If you stick with the likes of Ever Green, Jackall, Megabass, Lucky Craft, etc, you'll get both incredibly well designed and crafted baits and top shelf hooks that are sticky icky icky! Zara Spooks are legendary and all, but they simply don't compare and since you're highly unlikely to lose a topwater you might as well invest in some good ones ready to fish out of the box.
This is the way.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Mon May 20, 2019 11:51 am

I do use cranking rods for topwater, at least spook style baits. The old Loomis fiberblend 845's fished a spook jr. like it was designed for the bait. I currently am using Dobyns 805's and feel that they are better in my hands than any of the Loomis rods I tried.
In my case, fishing for spotted seatrout, I needed a rod that would not pull the hooks out of their notoriously soft mouths.