Daiwa Steez SVF AGS vs Daiwa Steez SVF-XBD Frog Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa Steez SVF AGS vs Daiwa Steez SVF-XBD Frog Rod

Post by freelancer27 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:38 pm

Hi all,

I am currently using the Daiwa Steez SVF-XBD Frog Rod purely as my heavy jig rod (1-1.5oz). The rod is relatively leight, powerful and has some decent sensitivity. Since my current frog rod (Okuma Scott Martin TCS Casting Rod 7'3" Heavy) feels a bit overpowered in anything but open water frogging, I am wondering if I should move the Steez frog rod to its meant destination and look into a different rod for the Jig section.

My eye fell on the Daiwa Steez SVF AGS, since I love the Daiwa Steez SVF-XBD Frog Rod but might want to add a bit more on the sensitivityI side and also loose a bit of weight if possible.

I would be looking at the Daiwa Steez SVF AGS Casting Rod 7'4" Extra Hvy

Anybody with experience on this particular rod, or even has some comparison points for the two rods?

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

Chees,
Seb.

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Daiwa Steez SVF AGS vs Daiwa Steez SVF-XBD Frog Rod

Post by JigginOG » Mon May 06, 2019 5:36 pm

If you’re already enjoying the XBD and are looking for more out of it, the AGS will fill those needs. It’s lighter, more sensitive and balances better.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon May 06, 2019 6:25 pm

Since I’ve been on this website opinions have varied on a lot of things but the sensitivity of Daiwa USDA Rods seems to be that they aren’t as sensitive and with that being said I have the same frog rod and use it for swim jigs and frogs and in a pinch maybe pitch with it. I don’t see it as a bottom contact rod from my personal experience.

If I were looking for a jig rod I’d do some research on specs based off what your preference is but I would suggest you buy a couple and return them or sell them if the action is not what your looking for. I can’t speak on the JDM market
I’ve been looking at this harrier rod for a while and have not pulled the trigger yet because of the adrena lineup that’s coming out.

Your going to get a plethora of opinions here I personally like my H3 kistler rod over some other rods. I have the zbone but haven’t used it. My crown jewel is my St. croix 7’4” but I have a heavyweight contender that I’m ready to put through the paces when I get my boat back.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon May 06, 2019 6:27 pm

Also
From the weights you mentioned the Faust is great
So great I have two. One for Flippin heavy jigs and the other for skirted creature baits. I’m using floro only though
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible