Rod balance Loomis / St Croix

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
versus158
Angler
Angler

Rod balance Loomis / St Croix

Post by versus158 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:02 am

Hi guys,

Came here to look for some help, I'm from France and very few shops have high end rods in stock, so it's very tough to actually get a feel before buying.
Last year i ordered a St Croix legend tournament (old model) Jig n Worm, little did I know that the balance is pretty bad, it just feels very tip heavy. Huge bummer because i actually do enjoy the action and the power of the rod quite a lot.
I've been eyeing up the Loomis NRX line of rods, the 854C JWR to be precise, thinking of using for jigs and swim jigs.

So long story short : is the NRX 854C well balanced (with something like a metanium) and is the power appropriate for 3/8 to 1/2 jigs.
Bonus question are the new st croix LTB better balanced ?

Thank you so much for your help really appreciate it.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Rod balance Loomis / St Croix

Post by Matt_3479 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:48 am

I can’t help you with the nrx 854 as I actually haven’t even held it but will offer my opinion based on a handful of other loomis rods, and st. Croix. The new legend tourneys are better balanced then the previous generation. Still a little tip heavy though. The legend elites and x’s are better balanced compared to the legend tourneys and more sensitive to boot. Still I find almost every loomis rod to be a better balanced competitor compared to equivalent models from st. Croix. The e6x compared to a mojo or avid, imx pro compared to and avid/legend tourneys and the glx’s and nrx’s Compared to the legend elites, x’s and extremes. The newest version of the loomis glx is suppose to be the best balanced rods in there line up, and the nrx are the lightest. I have 3 glx’s, 1 nrx (pretty new still 853c), and a couple imx pro’s. I have sold my st. Croix off as I just prefer the sensitivity and balance of the loomis. The st. Croix does fish heavier and feels more solid then a loomis rated the same power

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:08 am

Have you considered balancing out your St. Croix with weights in the handle? One way I change the balance is to reduce guide weight. Just throwing out some options...
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:20 pm

The new LTB's are better balanced than the previous model but going over 7' will still be a little tip heavy. I also think the NRXs generally feel a bit heavy in the tip but since the are usually very light over all they seem to balance out pretty well with a reel attached. The best balanced current line from Loomis that i've used is the MBR GLX series.

Sensitivity wise the GLX feels similar to the SC legend elite line. The NRX is very crisp and sensitive (more so than the GLX or LE) but I have not been particularly inspired by the build quality of them. The most balanced factory rod I have is the Edge Black widow built on an older MB704 HM blank. Its 4.7oz but floats in the hand. Sensitivity is right there with the NRX and its one of my favorite rods.

Balancing rods is also an option to get them lighter in the tip.

versus158
Angler
Angler

Post by versus158 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:05 am

Thanks guys for all the input.

I have to admit I'm not very good at tinkering with my rods, I probably could balance the St Croix better but not in a very aesthetically pleasing way.
Will probably just put my LT up for sale eventually and go for a model that you recommended.

Once again thank you for the advice, really helps !

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:01 am

https://www.mudhole.com/The-Balancer-Removable-Butt-Cap
It's cheap, kinda ugly, ez to install, gets the job done.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:10 am

TommyG wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:01 am
https://www.mudhole.com/The-Balancer-Removable-Butt-Cap
It's cheap, kinda ugly, ez to install, gets the job done.
:shock: Good god, how tip heavy would your rod have to ne to require the rubber cap plus all three of those gigantic chunks of lead??
This is the way.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:35 am

You don't have to use all the lead!! But, for an 894/895, yes, all the lead.

versus158
Angler
Angler

Post by versus158 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:03 pm

I'm still amazed that high end rods don't ship somewhat balanced...
I mean my 7.3 XH expride is better balanced than a 6.8 mh st croix LT.

The Pond King
Angler
Angler

Post by The Pond King » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:38 pm

Matt_3479 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:48 am
I can’t help you with the nrx 854 as I actually haven’t even held it but will offer my opinion based on a handful of other loomis rods, and st. Croix. The new legend tourneys are better balanced then the previous generation. Still a little tip heavy though. The legend elites and x’s are better balanced compared to the legend tourneys and more sensitive to boot. Still I find almost every loomis rod to be a better balanced competitor compared to equivalent models from st. Croix. The e6x compared to a mojo or avid, imx pro compared to and avid/legend tourneys and the glx’s and nrx’s Compared to the legend elites, x’s and extremes. The newest version of the loomis glx is suppose to be the best balanced rods in there line up, and the nrx are the lightest. I have 3 glx’s, 1 nrx (pretty new still 853c), and a couple imx pro’s. I have sold my st. Croix off as I just prefer the sensitivity and balance of the loomis. The st. Croix does fish heavier and feels more solid then a loomis rated the same power
Could not agree with this more. It's true.