Alternatives to my rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Alternatives to my rod

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:59 pm

Drew03cmc wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:34 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:53 am
Drew03cmc wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:21 pm

I have, indeed, but would need to find a blank, maker, etc. The Xfast part isn't a big deal and I'm trying to avoid dropping 4 bills on it, but if need be. The Destroyers are gorgeous and would work well, but damn they're pricey. The Steez Liberator, I've never seen. I'll have to check it out.
Wasnt sure of your price range, so I withheld making a suggestion.

Daiwa Black Label (step below the steez) has a 6'3 MH Fast, they also have several other options that might interest you.
http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/ro ... index.html

Raid has two rods in the Gladiator Lineup that also might interest you, both 6'5 The Bandiera and the Black Sparrow. On the website the Bandiera is listed as regular fast, but it is indicated as a fast action rod on the blank.
http://raidjapan.com/?cat=9

Either of these would look stellar with the Lews you have in mind.

These can be found for sub-$300, especially if your willing to buy grade A used. I don't think any of the site sponsors carry them, athough one might be able to source the Daiwa.
Raid looks good. I also notoced that Tailwalk has some available too. Those Black Label are gorgeous!
I really like that Black Label 6'3. I think that butt cap would come in extremly handy in a kayak where your main leverage is your upper body. One thing to note, the LG Black Labels are Grip Joints, even on the 6'3. I personally like Grip Joints, I see little to no difference, plus it could be of benifit packing in and out of areas.

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:53 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:59 pm
Drew03cmc wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:34 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:53 am
Drew03cmc wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:21 pm

I have, indeed, but would need to find a blank, maker, etc. The Xfast part isn't a big deal and I'm trying to avoid dropping 4 bills on it, but if need be. The Destroyers are gorgeous and would work well, but damn they're pricey. The Steez Liberator, I've never seen. I'll have to check it out.
Wasnt sure of your price range, so I withheld making a suggestion.

Daiwa Black Label (step below the steez) has a 6'3 MH Fast, they also have several other options that might interest you.
http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/ro ... index.html

Raid has two rods in the Gladiator Lineup that also might interest you, both 6'5 The Bandiera and the Black Sparrow. On the website the Bandiera is listed as regular fast, but it is indicated as a fast action rod on the blank.
http://raidjapan.com/?cat=9

Either of these would look stellar with the Lews you have in mind.

These can be found for sub-$300, especially if your willing to buy grade A used. I don't think any of the site sponsors carry them, athough one might be able to source the Daiwa.
Raid looks good. I also notoced that Tailwalk has some available too. Those Black Label are gorgeous!
I really like that Black Label 6'3. I think that butt cap would come in extremly handy in a kayak where your main leverage is your upper body. One thing to note, the LG Black Labels are Grip Joints, even on the 6'3. I personally like Grip Joints, I see little to no difference, plus it could be of benifit packing in and out of areas.
Excuse my ignorance, what is a Grip Joint?
Andy

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:25 pm

The handle is detachable.
This is the way.

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:33 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:25 pm
I like that. I like that a lot.
Andy

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:48 am

Drew03cmc wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:33 pm
poisonokie wrote:
I've never used one myself. I thought they were mostly for making 8' rods fit in a rod locker or making short stream rods fit in a backpack. They say it doesn't affect the way they fish and based on the 2 and 3 piece center cut spigot ferrule rods I have, I imagine that's mostly true. A lot of high end Japanese rods are made that way, so there must be something to it. Still, aside from being a unique and cool feature, I don't quite see the point of making a sub 6'6" rod break down to be one foot or less shorter at the possible expense of a loss of sensitivity compared to a one piece blank through handle type rod. If you get one I'd really like to know what you think.

I like to keep mine rigged up and kept in sleeves so they're ready to go as soon as I get where I'm going, so even if any of them had grip joints I doubt I would ever actually take them apart.

This is the way.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:55 am

poisonokie wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:48 am
A lot of high end Japanese rods are made that way, so there must be something to it. Still, aside from being a unique and cool feature, I don't quite see the point of making a sub 6'6" rod break down to be one foot or less shorter at the possible expense of a loss of sensitivity compared to a one piece blank through handle type rod. If you get one I'd really like to know what you think.

I like to keep mine rigged up and kept in sleeves so they're ready to go as soon as I get where I'm going, so even if any of them had grip joints I doubt I would ever actually take them apart.
That is one heck of a MS-X collection you have there P.
I actually had to do a double take when I saw that the 6'3 LG Black Label was a grip joint. I always figured they did it for convineince in Asia (small cars, public transport, ect..)
Common sense would suggest that a blank through would feel more connected than a seperate grip/main blank, especially with an exposed grip portion.
I am surprised to find that some "1 piece" rods actually have a seperate main blank.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:21 am

Interestingly enough, the USDM Major Craft Nanoace rods over 7' have this type of grip joint. I have the 73MH WJ. I dont think it gives up any sensitivity vs 1-pc rods in the same $100-$150 range. I like mine, and never even think about it being a grip-joint rod. I know a couple of folks who went so far as to epoxy the handle and blank joint together. Think about it-the blank extends down into the reel seat. This is basically the same as any rod built on a sleeve, like the new Fuji PTS seats require.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:10 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:55 am
I actually had to do a double take when I saw that the 6'3 LG Black Label was a grip joint. I always figured they did it for convineince in Asia (small cars, public transport, ect..)
Common sense would suggest that a blank through would feel more connected than a seperate grip/main blank, especially with an exposed grip portion.
I am surprised to find that some "1 piece" rods actually have a seperate main blank.
Yes, it is. I love them. There's still one out there I'd practically kill for, though. I'll track it down eventually. Maybe.

Here they are in the buff because what the hell...

This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:15 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:21 am
Interestingly enough, the USDM Major Craft Nanoace rods over 7' have this type of grip joint rods. I have the 73MH WJ. I dont think it gives up any sensitivity vs 1-pc rods in the same $100-$150 range. I like mine, and never even think about it being a grip-joint rod. I know a couple of folks who went so far as to epoxy the handle and blank joint together. Think about it-the blank extends down into the reel seat. This is basically the same as any rod built on a sleeve, like the new Fuji PTS seats require.
That's true. The blank runs through a carbon tube in the reel seat on all the rods pictured above, both the ACS and SK2's. I don't think it has any effect on sensitivity whatsoever. Grip joint and all other spigot ferrules are just bare carbon on bare carbon, so it shouldn't really make any difference.
This is the way.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:16 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:10 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:55 am
Yes, it is. I love them. There's still one out there I'd practically kill for, though. I'll track it down eventually. Maybe.

Here they are in the buff because what the hell...
PM the model you are looking for, I have become pretty adept at locating hard to find items.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:41 pm

Drew03cmc wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
This kind of rod has become my preferred confirgutation. I have no way of knowing if it affects sensitivity. But, some of my most sensitive rods came like this from the maker. I have to imagine that sensitivity was not compromised to achieve added flexibility for transporting. I often rig and re-rig and even spool up ‘in the field’, but seldom liked center cut 2 piece rods. I ‘discovered’ jdm way too late in life but am trying to make up for it.

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:34 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:41 pm
Drew03cmc wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
This kind of rod has become my preferred confirgutation. I have no way of knowing if it affects sensitivity. But, some of my most sensitive rods came like this from the maker. I have to imagine that sensitivity was not compromised to achieve added flexibility for transporting. I often rig and re-rig and even spool up ‘in the field’, but seldom liked center cut 2 piece rods. I ‘discovered’ jdm way too late in life but am trying to make up for it.
I guess I need to try it out.
Andy

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:40 am

Drew03cmc wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:34 pm
Polkfish1 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:41 pm
Drew03cmc wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
I guess I need to try it out.
You do. :evil22:
This is the way.