Nrx 853c?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Nrx 853c?

Post by Matt_3479 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:07 pm

romans wrote:No matter what, you are not going to hate the 853. If this will be your first NRX then you are in for a treat. The 853 isn't a bad rod, its just not as versatile as the 893 or 873. Power wise the 853 and 893 are about the same with the 873 being the next step up in power compared to the 853 and 893.
Thank you very much, it will be my first nrx unless I trade for a different. As I have someone interested in my kistler and no good trades arising it’s looking more like I will be keeping her and getting more and more excited to do so. Like I said previous I have the 894 to cover majority of my jig fishing needs, 852c to cover my more finesse and lighter baits and the kistler was filling the niche in between. But with this being s big step up from the kistler helium lta (first helium) I’m kind of excited about it

Bassguy7
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bassguy7 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:16 am

I have the GLX version of the 853c and really like it. I don't think it's the most versatile rod there is but it excels at certain things. I use it for finesse jigs mostly (3/8th oz ball heads), works great. I also think it works great for light t-rigs and keitechs/underspins. I personally don't love it for spinnerbaits as the tip is too fast for me . I've switched around with braid/fluro on it and braid makes it one of the most sensitive rods in the lineup for sure.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:07 pm

Bassguy7 wrote:I have the GLX version of the 853c and really like it. I don't think it's the most versatile rod there is but it excels at certain things. I use it for finesse jigs mostly (3/8th oz ball heads), works great. I also think it works great for light t-rigs and keitechs/underspins. I personally don't love it for spinnerbaits as the tip is too fast for me . I've switched around with braid/fluro on it and braid makes it one of the most sensitive rods in the lineup for sure.
Thank you

I definately wouldn’t be using the rod for a spinner baits as I have that covered pretty well. I think I might keep it, getting more and more excited about it. It should make a killer dock rod and, skipping rod. Love to throw little paddle tails and underspins on it. Weightless Senko’s and larger worms!

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:10 am

In addition to what has already been mentioned, the 853 NRX is a very good walking bait and jerk bait rod if you run mono.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:22 pm

I was in your exact situation. The 853 is not a bad rod BUT the 893 does everything it can & much better imo. I traded my 853 in for a 893 & I couldn’t be more happy. Of course I took a lost, but that 893 is probably the most special rod in the nrx lineup. I’ve caught and won more money on the 893 than all my other nrx rods combined. American Legacy Fishin will give you a decent price on nrx(thinkin low 400), and you’ll be able to ship them multiple rods in a tube for trade in value. IMO, you cannot have nrx rods w/o havin the 893 it’s that special

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:37 pm

CGrinder wrote:In addition to what has already been mentioned, the 853 NRX is a very good walking bait and jerk bait rod if you run mono.
I just picked up a few spoons and poppers but haven’t fished them yet as we are just loosing Ice! That’s great to know cause I wasn’t sure what rod to throw them on! I thought majority of treble hook lured were suppose to be better on moderate to fast at best?
Hennessy wrote:I was in your exact situation. The 853 is not a bad rod BUT the 893 does everything it can & much better imo. I traded my 853 in for a 893 & I couldn’t be more happy. Of course I took a lost, but that 893 is probably the most special rod in the nrx lineup. I’ve caught and won more money on the 893 than all my other nrx rods combined. American Legacy Fishin will give you a decent price on nrx(thinkin low 400), and you’ll be able to ship them multiple rods in a tube for trade in value. IMO, you cannot have nrx rods w/o havin the 893 it’s that special
Ultimately I want the 893, always have since day one of purchasing more high end rods! Like I said I stumbled upon a deal too good and got the 853. I have it up for trade as we speak for an 893c but like you and everyone else out there. Nobody wants to trade for it lol. Getting thinking about it, the 853 might actually suit me better from what the other rods cover in the line up. Will make a perfect dock fishing rod, close quarters jig rod. Not to say I don’t still want the 893 and if a trade doesn’t come up I might keep it and at a much later date get the 893 as well. We will see. If a trade comes up I’m sure I’ll trade as I couldn’t pass up on something I wanted off the hop