What are your thoughts and experiences

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

What are your thoughts and experiences

Post by goldrod » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:02 am

Let me preface this by saying I have a IS79 sitting on a super destroyer and the SD is a stout little stick.

I am looking for a new rod not a conquest however what I am considering are:
I was considering the NRX CCR 873 I think it is,

Shimano Expride current line up, either the 6'10" med or 7'3" xh

new adrena 6'11

MB Otomat, Javelin, and chimera forgot the brailist

What interest me is the Otomat, and I want to know what else it is capable of. But I can't help but to think at that price range its hard to justify a topwater rod as expensive as it is.
Expired 6'10" seems to be the ticket for jb and I wanted to see what it was all about. never had any of the exprides
Never had any of the adrenas but the new ones make me want to get one. So there is a mystic about them. I have canvased the websites this is all I've come up with. Im supposed to be downsize but when i enter my house they rods smile at me and say, you've had a long day of work. Let's go get some air..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What are your thoughts and experiences

Post by poot04 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:27 pm

What are you looking for your rod to do?
I have first gen 6’10 m expride and it is an unbelievable jb rod. I use it for 110 jr, reg 110 and 110 +1 and I have used it for 1/4 to 1/2 topwaters with excellent results. I have the chimera which I already commented on and I have javelin which is my favorite rod I own. I use it for swim jigs,chatterbaits, 1/2 oz topwater up to 1 oz, 3/8 to 1/2 jigs and large profile Shakey heads. Not much that rod can’t do well. Hope this helps with your search. I also have Fmj which is one sensitive sob for t-rigs and jigs.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:33 pm

poot04 wrote:What are you looking for your rod to do?
I have first gen 6’10 m expride and it is an unbelievable jb rod. I use it for 110 jr, reg 110 and 110 +1 and I have used it for 1/4 to 1/2 topwaters with excellent results. I have the chimera which I already commented on and I have javelin which is my favorite rod I own. I use it for swim jigs,chatterbaits, 1/2 oz topwater up to 1 oz, 3/8 to 1/2 jigs and large profile Shakey heads. Not much that rod can’t do well. Hope this helps with your search. I also have Fmj which is one sensitive sob for t-rigs and jigs.

I read that I need to buy multiple rods. Lol

I’m looking for jb rod and a trig rod but also a topwater rod. Listed in order of priority.
Thank you for the feed back
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:44 pm

I typically don’t use a jerk bait year round more spring and fall so you may be able to get away with the right rod for jerkbait and topwater. The expide would fit the bill and I have always heard great things about the Jdm destroyer hein. For Texas rigs I would look at the fmj first. If you want a rod that can do many things as well as Texas rigs then you should look at the javelin which I have and the daemos which I don’t have but from what I heard is a good t rig rod that is capable of single hook moving baits and so forth.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sat May 18, 2019 8:39 pm

I fish mostly clear lakes, I Texas rig a lot, probably 50% of the time. The NRX 894c is the best I've found for 3/16-3/8oz trigs.
For Jerkbaits I have a mb evo f5.5 68xti, rod is UNREAL for that purpose. You can find them in good condition for 250, eBay and such.

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mthao105 » Sun May 19, 2019 3:16 pm

Finding a rod to cover all those techniques will be tough. That said, I've thrown all of those techniques on the megabass javelin. It's not ideal for small trebles in my opinion, but with a lower drag setting I've been able to make it work. For larger trebled baits and 3/8-1/2 ounce bottom contact it's awesome. Pretty much a do anything rod.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun May 19, 2019 3:30 pm

I got the expride and looking forward to the adrena
Although the IS73 I have also sitting on the shelf felt REALLY GOOD when paired with the expride. The 6’11” adreana is calling

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun May 19, 2019 6:18 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:33 pm
poot04 wrote:What are you looking for your rod to do?

I read that I need to buy multiple rods. Lol

I’m looking for jb rod and a trig rod but also a topwater rod. Listed in order of priority.
Thank you for the feed back
Let me complicate your search. These new NFX (North Fork Experience) rods are made with the intended purpose of being multi-purpose. I don’t know about price and availability: https://northforkcomposites.jp/j-custom-nfx/

Personally, I’m intrigued by the ZFX lineup described in a different link. I have not had time to digest these yet, but maybe there something there that might hit all the bases you’re trying to cover or at least claim it will.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Wed May 22, 2019 11:01 am

Those are interesting rods (North Fork Ex). I wonder if they designed the blank or just using off the shelf tapers.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed May 22, 2019 5:19 pm

A lot of JDM rods are designed with versatility in mind. Over there a 6'6" regular to regular fast, medium to medium heavy stick is king, it seems. I'm totally on board, too. They have mastered that progressive regular taper that maximizes versatility, castability, and fish fighting prowess without sacrificing anything in terms of sensitivity or power.

It's not like these are Jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none rods, either. At first blush a given rod may seem either too fast or too moderate for a given technique, but simply using suitable line, quality hooks, and making appropriate adjustments to drag are all that's required to make these types of rods excel at any technique within the weight range for which they're rated.

Of course, the blanks and components used matters, and those considerations can make for a more expensive build, but when you consider that one rod may effectively take the place of two or three other technique specific rods without a loss in performance, that doesn't matter at all.

It could just be that they suit my fishing style, too, but I think that given the chance a lot of stateside anglers would find that true fast-extra fast sticks with a soft tip that shuts off into an unforgiving backbone at the third or fourth guide may not be the most effective setup for fishing worms and jigs. Sure, you'll get that hook set as long as you make sure to wait long enough, but now you have to fight the fish at every head shake, tail kick, and jump with a rod that doesn't want to flex deep enough into the belly to absorb those surges.

Likewise, using a rod for moving baits that does flex enough to keep them pinned, but doesn't have the power to really drive either single or treble hooks home and feels dead in hand might not be the best idea, either. Yeah there are even some glass composite rods out there with decent sensitivity and ample backbone, but they don't match the hook setting, fish steering backbone or sensitivity of carbon where you can feel every time the fish kicks its tail in preparation for a big head shaking, lure spitting jump.

The right mix of taper and guide train in a rod can accomplish both approaches seamlessly if the user just takes some time to adjust to the way it handles. It's a philosophy I've come to fully embrace recently and I'm already seeing results. Sorry to take over.
This is the way.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:05 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:19 pm
A lot of JDM rods are designed with versatility in mind. Over there a 6'6" regular to regular fast, medium to medium heavy stick is king, it seems. I'm totally on board, too. They have mastered that progressive regular taper that maximizes versatility, castability, and fish fighting prowess without sacrificing anything in terms of sensitivity or power.

It's not like these are Jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none rods, either. At first blush a given rod may seem either too fast or too moderate for a given technique, but simply using suitable line, quality hooks, and making appropriate adjustments to drag are all that's required to make these types of rods excel at any technique within the weight range for which they're rated.

Of course, the blanks and components used matters, and those considerations can make for a more expensive build, but when you consider that one rod may effectively take the place of two or three other technique specific rods without a loss in performance, that doesn't matter at all.

It could just be that they suit my fishing style, too, but I think that given the chance a lot of stateside anglers would find that true fast-extra fast sticks with a soft tip that shuts off into an unforgiving backbone at the third or fourth guide may not be the most effective setup for fishing worms and jigs. Sure, you'll get that hook set as long as you make sure to wait long enough, but now you have to fight the fish at every head shake, tail kick, and jump with a rod that doesn't want to flex deep enough into the belly to absorb those surges.

Likewise, using a rod for moving baits that does flex enough to keep them pinned, but doesn't have the power to really drive either single or treble hooks home and feels dead in hand might not be the best idea, either. Yeah there are even some glass composite rods out there with decent sensitivity and ample backbone, but they don't match the hook setting, fish steering backbone or sensitivity of carbon where you can feel every time the fish kicks its tail in preparation for a big head shaking, lure spitting jump.

The right mix of taper and guide train in a rod can accomplish both approaches seamlessly if the user just takes some time to adjust to the way it handles. It's a philosophy I've come to fully embrace recently and I'm already seeing results. Sorry to take over.

Well put; and, could not agree more. As I more and more choose to bushwhack banks in places I enjoy going and in doing so avoid crowds, launches, etc., this is what I’ve in recent years begun to appreciate more. I’d used to choose the rod based on where I was going to focus on one technique that the particular location would offer. I then started to find myself cranking on a flipping rod or throwing a big swim bait on a med light spinning rod as I worked my way through plano boxes and found unexpected spots. Now, I prefer to grab the type of rod you describe. Also, I’ve gone full circle from preferring normal to ultra ff and back to moderate/mod fast. In the end I think the constant change keeps me entertained.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed May 22, 2019 6:36 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:19 pm

not taking over. I appreciate the enlightenment..

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu May 23, 2019 7:33 pm

I’ve been trying to get it translated.
But haven’t been able as of yet.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu May 23, 2019 8:27 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:36 pm

not taking over. I appreciate the enlightenment..
Right on. I try to get good info out there without veering too subjective or pedantic, but it's a challenge when it's something I'm passionate about, especially when it relates to a recent discovery.
Polkfish1 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:05 pm

Well put; and, could not agree more. As I more and more choose to bushwhack banks in places I enjoy going and in doing so avoid crowds, launches, etc., this is what I’ve in recent years begun to appreciate more. I’d used to choose the rod based on where I was going to focus on one technique that the particular location would offer. I then started to find myself cranking on a flipping rod or throwing a big swim bait on a med light spinning rod as I worked my way through plano boxes and found unexpected spots. Now, I prefer to grab the type of rod you describe. Also, I’ve gone full circle from preferring normal to ultra ff and back to moderate/mod fast. In the end I think the constant change keeps me entertained.
That's the other thing. I've really come to appreciate shorter rods for a lot of reasons, bushwhack fishing being one of them. I've said this before, but just to reiterate, I think I can do just about anything bass related with rods 7' or under as well or better than with rods over that length. I'm really digging these six and a half footers for a lot more than the topwater/jerkbait/skipping duty I envisioned using them for. It makes quite a difference when you're surrounded by trees and tall weeds on the bank and even if it's wide open they're still great for bait placement. Plus, as you might expect, they tend to be a hair lighter and better balanced. Don't get me wrong, I see the benefits of long rods over 7' for a lot of techniques. I was just blind to the benefits of short ones under 6'10” for a long time and for me the costs of the former are greater than those of the latter. Sorry to take over again. I just love rods in general. Reels have all the bling and have their own unique character, but it's the rods that got the soul.
This is the way.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Tue May 28, 2019 5:15 am

Great thread! I've moved to mod-fast rods as I find they just suit my style of fishing. Not sure if I'm a better fisherman, but they feel 'right'. As I primarily kayak fish, having rods that serve multiple purposes is important. Three rods is about the max I like to take (I've tried more), and two is about perfect for me.

Right now, the North Fork blanks/Kistler are doing duty and I'm finding them a good balance on what I've been searching for. Interesting comments as I wonder if the pendulum swings back a little from all the longer, lure/presentation specific rods that are currently in vogue.