The most UNDER rated..

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The most UNDER rated..

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:18 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
smalljaw wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Gen 2 Mojo Bass.
They changed from SC-II to SC-III for the gen 2 Mojo blanks, same blanks as the Avid series. That's why they are better. The Avid series are great sticks, but overpriced imo.
WRONG!! I've heard this before and it isn't true. Yes, the gen 2 Mojo blanks use SC-III graphite but they are not the same blank as the Avid. I spoke to a rep from St. Croix and he told me the material is the same but the resin system and scrims are completely different from the Avid series blanks. It is why there is a distinct difference in sensitivity and responsiveness between the Avid series and the Mojo series.
If true, then it is overt deception at the very least. They call it SC-III graphite, but it isnt the same. Wow, that's pretty sneaky. I hate to think that one of the last 3 US rodbuilders isnt being honest with its comsumers.
I think they all do that. Like Daiwa may use SVF graphite in the Tatula, Zillion, amd Steez Lines, but I don't think the blanks are identical. I used to think so, but now I'm not so sure.
This is the way.

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:32 am

poisonokie wrote:Oh man. Well, at the risk of sounding like a paid promoter, I have to say they are sublime.
Thanks for the detailed write-up. I saw Major Craft was selling the Corzza line at ~$150 shipped and I was hemming and hawing over trying out a 6'5" ML. Pulled the trigger and now I'm just hoping I like it enough to curb my desire for a Carbon Head Hien :lol:

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:41 am

Poisson wrote:
poisonokie wrote:Oh man. Well, at the risk of sounding like a paid promoter, I have to say they are sublime.
Thanks for the detailed write-up. I saw Major Craft was selling the Corzza line at ~$150 shipped and I was hemming and hawing over trying out a 6'5" ML. Pulled the trigger and now I'm just hoping I like it enough to curb my desire for a Carbon Head Hien :lol:
Funny you should say that because I was hemming and hawing over the CH Hein when an auction site 15% off sale rolled around which, when coupled with the $50 off two rods deal from Shimreels, meant I could get an MS-X 66M (awesome for the Shower Blows 105) and a 69M/BF (awesome for Senkos) for $392. I still have yet to see what a Megabass rod is like and still want that Hein, but i just couldn't pass on that deal.

If that Corzza is anything like the MS-X 65ML (and having a cross force blank and SS/SiC K guides it should be) I think you'll be impressed with its casting distance and sensitivity. I've had that one for 2 or 3 years and it's great for precision casts with flick shakes, senkos, and finesse jigs. It's also great for finesse cranks, spybaits, poppers, and especially 110 type jerkbaits. You'll find it suitable for a litany of techniques.
This is the way.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:23 am

:talk hand:
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:25 am

MardukFIN wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
MardukFIN wrote:American Tackle Bushido Blanks, especially SWB710/15-30.
I've heard this from quite a few sources. How would you rank / rate them along side others? Hopefully better than MHX. Not a fan of most of those, aside from the high mod popping blanks.
Better than regular MHX (IM). Not lightest ones, but very durable. Finish is great matte black. Very powerful blanks. I've built several those. Customers are very satisfied with these. =D>
MHX = made in China.

Quality control issues.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:40 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
MardukFIN wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I've heard this from quite a few sources. How would you rank / rate them along side others? Hopefully better than MHX. Not a fan of most of those, aside from the high mod popping blanks.
Better than regular MHX (IM). Not lightest ones, but very durable. Finish is great matte black. Very powerful blanks. I've built several those. Customers are very satisfied with these. =D>
MHX = made in China.

Quality control issues.
LOL. Your strong, highly subjective, one path opinions seem to trickle into most every thread I view. We get it. Shimano old school and made in America can't be touched. All else is crap, and old is always better than new. Got it.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:45 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:I'm a little off the beaten path......Lamiglas for me. They are WAY underrated imho. The 3 custom Infinity builds I have are the best rods I have ever put my hands on. I didnt care for the stock rods due to their choice of a split reel seat, but the ones I have are every bit as sensitive as the NRX 854 I had. I also have one custom jig rod that's built on the 7'3" heavy XP Bass blank, and it is very nice, too. I can see a few more in my future. Regarding off-the-shelf rods, Major Craft are way underrated. I have 3 of those, and I like them as well as any stock rod I've used.
Agreed Tim!! Lamiglas makes some great blanks. Too bad they don't compete well in finished rods.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:52 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:
MardukFIN wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
MHX = made in China.

Quality control issues.
How can you extol Mudhole in one post and then slam them for quality issues in the same thread?

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:23 pm

Tokugawa wrote: How can you extol Mudhole in one post and then slam them for quality issues in the same thread?

How? Easy.

I love mudhole for everything except their rod blanks!

I love the clearance bins at mudhole. I live minutes away...

Oh, and a former employee from there told me about it long ago... so it was not so much a slam from me as much as it was a confession from a former insider...

I'd buy more of their blanks if they were made in the USA! But since they are not...

My MHX rod is nowhere near the top of my favorite rod list. It should be, but it isn't.

One of my favorite blanks isn't made any more... the thin wall blanks. Apparently they were too easy to damage and break and warranties were over the top, so the manufacturers went to a smaller diameter blank with a thicker wall. Same amount and weight of material, just rolled tighter is all. This is the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 as I understand it from their explanations. Thin wall are more sensitive to me. MHX don't make them any more. They aren't alone.

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:06 pm

poisonokie wrote:If that Corzza is anything like the MS-X 65ML (and having a cross force blank and SS/SiC K guides it should be) I think you'll be impressed with its casting distance and sensitivity. I've had that one for 2 or 3 years and it's great for precision casts with flick shakes, senkos, and finesse jigs. It's also great for finesse cranks, spybaits, poppers, and especially 110 type jerkbaits. You'll find it suitable for a litany of techniques.
Very glad to hear the MS-X version is that versatile! Do you run braid to leader for jerkbaits on the 6'5" ML or is the action fast enough to get sharp movement out of the bait without braid?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:25 pm

Poisson wrote:
poisonokie wrote:If that Corzza is anything like the MS-X 65ML (and having a cross force blank and SS/SiC K guides it should be) I think you'll be impressed with its casting distance and sensitivity. I've had that one for 2 or 3 years and it's great for precision casts with flick shakes, senkos, and finesse jigs. It's also great for finesse cranks, spybaits, poppers, and especially 110 type jerkbaits. You'll find it suitable for a litany of techniques.
Very glad to hear the MS-X version is that versatile! Do you run braid to leader for jerkbaits on the 6'5" ML or is the action fast enough to get sharp movement out of the bait without braid?
Hmmm... To tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever used straight fluoro with that rod. I use 15# braid to a 10# fluoro leader because I prefer braid to fluoro for treble hook baits and I use a 105 size spool with it. I was getting excellent textbook hooksets in decent sized fish with the 68ML/BF model using stretchy 8# Invizx and 1/0 Owner flashy swimmers a couple of weeks ago, so I think something like 10# sniper would be fine with this rod. The tip is nice and soft and gives way to a good, stiff ML backbone that loads really well for making surprisingly long casts for a shorter rod. To me it's like a regular action when casting and like a fast when working the bait. The reason I think it's so well suited for jerkbaits, other than the length which really makes jerking/popping/walking techniques a breeze, is that the tip is crisp yet soft enough to get great action out of the bait without overcooking it. With stiffer/longer/faster sticks I feel like I tend to impart too much action to the bait and move it around too much. Plus, the sensitivity is definitely there as you can feel a strike at the end of a long cast. When you set the hooks the soft tip quickly transitions to the stiff belly section for a good hookset, then it has a nice progression into the butt section (where the 3 double footed guides are) to absorb surges from the fish. In my experience it works very well to keep 3-4 pounders pinned until you can play them in. I've never hooked into anything bigger with it, but I'm confident it can handle them just fine provided I don't get over zealous and try horsing them in. I use mine with an SS SV and it's famously weak yet smooth drag, so I probably won't have much of a choice, anyway.

Sunday is looking like it's gonna shape up to be a jerkbait or nothing type day, so I'm gonna compare it with the 66M/30#-12# leader to see which I like better. It's a regular action rather than regular fast, but has a stiffer, somewhat slower tip and is obviously heavier powered. I'm thinking I might like it better for the regular 1/2oz jerkbaits and prefer the 65ML for the 3/8 110 jr, but I don't know. The 65ML will be hard to beat IMO. The 66M is just ridiculously killer for the Shower Blows, so I'm also kind of thinking that it in my hands it may be a little too much rod for a typical shallow jerkbait. I'm sure it would be ideal for the deep runners, though. :-k Just have to give it a go and find out.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:42 am

Poisson wrote:
So, it was a rough day yesterday. The only action I got was a head butt or tail slap on a 110 Jr, fished on the 65ML, and something ferociously attacked the Zappu Para R prop in the tail of my Ned Rig, tearing it out. I switched to a spinnerbait on the 610M, and something batted at it on the shore line, but didn't commit. I should've downsized to a small spinnerbait on the 65ML, which it's great for, but it was time to hang it up, anyway.

Anyway, comparing the 65ML and 66M side by side verified my suspicion that the 66M is better for the full sized 1/2oz 110, but not by much. And since I didn't manage to hook up with anything I don't know if the story would change with a fish on, but I doubt it. The 65ML is definitely better with the 3/8oz 110 Jr, and since it's almost as good with the 110 it still gets the nod for jerkbaits.

All of the regular fast rods have a deceptively soft tip which belies the amount of power in the backbone. The regular tapered rods feel a bit more traditional the tips are stiffer and the bend starts a little closer to the belly, but once they hit backbone there's power to spare. My favortie of the whole bunch might be the 610M/Zonda 68/12# Sniper combo. It has just the right length, power, and action to fish almost anything and is spot on perfect for my favorite techniques. They're all super versatile, though. I don't even worry about which ones to use for bottom contact or moving, single hook or treble, I just match the rod to the lure weight and go for it knowing it will work.

I really wish I could find the 67MH for bigger topwaters, Colorado blade spinnerbaits, and skipping. It's the only one I haven't been able to track down.
This is the way.

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:02 am

poisonokie wrote:
Poisson wrote:
So, it was a rough day yesterday. The only action I got was a head butt or tail slap on a 110 Jr, fished on the 65ML, and something ferociously attacked the Zappu Para R prop in the tail of my Ned Rig, tearing it out. I switched to a spinnerbait on the 610M, and something batted at it on the shore line, but didn't commit. I should've downsized to a small spinnerbait on the 65ML, which it's great for, but it was time to hang it up, anyway.

Anyway, comparing the 65ML and 66M side by side verified my suspicion that the 66M is better for the full sized 1/2oz 110, but not by much. And since I didn't manage to hook up with anything I don't know if the story would change with a fish on, but I doubt it. The 65ML is definitely better with the 3/8oz 110 Jr, and since it's almost as good with the 110 it still gets the nod for jerkbaits.

All of the regular fast rods have a deceptively soft tip which belies the amount of power in the backbone. The regular tapered rods feel a bit more traditional the tips are stiffer and the bend starts a little closer to the belly, but once they hit backbone there's power to spare. My favortie of the whole bunch might be the 610M/Zonda 68/12# Sniper combo. It has just the right length, power, and action to fish almost anything and is spot on perfect for my favorite techniques. They're all super versatile, though. I don't even worry about which ones to use for bottom contact or moving, single hook or treble, I just match the rod to the lure weight and go for it knowing it will work.

I really wish I could find the 67MH for bigger topwaters, Colorado blade spinnerbaits, and skipping. It's the only one I haven't been able to track down.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on this. My Corzza will arrive on Thursday and I'm excited to get out and sling some jerkbaits. I've got a bunch of underutilized baits in that 3/8 oz neighborhood that should be perfect.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:59 pm

Poisson wrote:
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on this. My Corzza will arrive on Thursday and I'm excited to get out and sling some jerkbaits. I've got a bunch of underutilized baits in that 3/8 oz neighborhood that should be perfect.
Yes sir! Let us know what you think.
This is the way.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:05 pm

Tokugawa wrote: Agreed Tim!! Lamiglas makes some great blanks. Too bad they don't compete well in finished rods.
I got curious and looked, they have a very strange line up of bass rods and I can’t even begin to understand their kayak line.