The most UNDER rated..

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: The most UNDER rated..

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:57 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Kinda funny. I don't really think their are many under rated rods. The cat usually gets out of the bag. Kistler has always been popular, especially when they switched to NFC proprietary blanks. Funny thing is, I kinda think NFC blanks are over rated. At sale prices, very good, but at full retail, not so much. Especially considering an K2 at the same price, or a Point Blank at even less are imo, much better than the HMs. I have an X Ray on the way, hoping it's a substantial improvement.
Back on topic, Fenwick has put out a couple of affordable lines that punched above their price. Well, the blanks did anyways. Across the board, I feel Shimano makes some of the best rods and rod blanks I've encountered.
Fenwick Elitetech Smallmouth to name one. It was underrated though, it got rave reviews from everyone who used them. They were just affordable and discontinued much too quickly.
Yep. That was the one I had in mind. I almost stripped down and rebuilt the 6"10 medium.
I have the 6'-9" ML spinning rod, girlfriend uses it for dropshot, its sensitive and has landed a ton of fish. Great rod.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

LonnieP
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by LonnieP » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:30 pm

Kistler H3, OG Tatula

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:52 pm

Teal101 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Kinda funny. I don't really think their are many under rated rods. The cat usually gets out of the bag. Kistler has always been popular, especially when they switched to NFC proprietary blanks. Funny thing is, I kinda think NFC blanks are over rated. At sale prices, very good, but at full retail, not so much. Especially considering an K2 at the same price, or a Point Blank at even less are imo, much better than the HMs. I have an X Ray on the way, hoping it's a substantial improvement.
Back on topic, Fenwick has put out a couple of affordable lines that punched above their price. Well, the blanks did anyways. Across the board, I feel Shimano makes some of the best rods and rod blanks I've encountered.
Fenwick Elitetech Smallmouth to name one. It was underrated though, it got rave reviews from everyone who used them. They were just affordable and discontinued much too quickly.
I feel the same about their Elitetech walleye series. I have one of the riggin' spinning sticks, and the action is beyond amazing for Lindy rigs.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:01 pm

American Tackle Bushido Blanks, especially SWB710/15-30.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:53 pm

MardukFIN wrote:American Tackle Bushido Blanks, especially SWB710/15-30.
I've heard this from quite a few sources. How would you rank / rate them along side others? Hopefully better than MHX. Not a fan of most of those, aside from the high mod popping blanks.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:10 am

Megabass xti evolution series. These are stuck between the vaulted xfti that have better re-sale value due to collector interest and newer C40s that look exotic. But, xti are awesome and there seems to be a ton of them floating around used or barely used that can be had cheap. It's not as easy as finding the exact model you want right when you want it, but the hunt is part of the fun. JDM tackle heaven seems to always have a new lot of them. Of course, the more nicks and scratches you're willing to tolerate, the cheaper they get, but you can easily score for $200 and under even including shipping charges. Now, if you want barely used, it can be more expensive. In any case, you can get a nicked up awesome rod for the price of a new whatever rod, if you hunt around. The pictured jig and worm super diablo 7ft model can do just about every popular bass technique very well and it's tough as nails. Never had an issue that made me wish I had a warranty. Used JDM tackle heaven special for the price of a new 13, dobyns or any other middle of the pack rod.
Attachments
IMG_0146.jpg
IMG_0146.jpg (71.79 KiB) Viewed 7441 times

Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Poisson » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:49 am

Polkfish1 wrote:Megabass xti evolution series. These are stuck between the vaulted xfti that have better re-sale value due to collector interest and newer C40s that look exotic. But, xti are awesome and there seems to be a ton of them floating around used or barely used that can be had cheap. It's not as easy as finding the exact model you want right when you want it, but the hunt is part of the fun. JDM tackle heaven seems to always have a new lot of them. Of course, the more nicks and scratches you're willing to tolerate, the cheaper they get, but you can easily score for $200 and under even including shipping charges. Now, if you want barely used, it can be more expensive. In any case, you can get a nicked up awesome rod for the price of a new whatever rod, if you hunt around. The pictured jig and worm super diablo 7ft model can do just about every popular bass technique very well and it's tough as nails. Never had an issue that made me wish I had a warranty. Used JDM tackle heaven special for the price of a new 13, dobyns or any other middle of the pack rod.
You've piqued my interest...

I see some models are designated XDti instead of Xti, what's the difference?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:00 am

St Croix 74 legend elite
Is a great rod
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:43 am

Poisson wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:Megabass xti evolution series. These are stuck between the vaulted xfti that have better re-sale value due to collector interest and newer C40s that look exotic. But, xti are awesome and there seems to be a ton of them floating around used or barely used that can be had cheap. It's not as easy as finding the exact model you want right when you want it, but the hunt is part of the fun. JDM tackle heaven seems to always have a new lot of them. Of course, the more nicks and scratches you're willing to tolerate, the cheaper they get, but you can easily score for $200 and under even including shipping charges. Now, if you want barely used, it can be more expensive. In any case, you can get a nicked up awesome rod for the price of a new whatever rod, if you hunt around. The pictured jig and worm super diablo 7ft model can do just about every popular bass technique very well and it's tough as nails. Never had an issue that made me wish I had a warranty. Used JDM tackle heaven special for the price of a new 13, dobyns or any other middle of the pack rod.
You've piqued my interest...

I see some models are designated XDti instead of Xti, what's the difference?
Those are different series for sure. Someone will correct be if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure that in xti, the titanium fibers run the length of the blank and you can see the individual strands running to the very tip, while in xDti there is some type of titanium mesh work on the first third of the blank closet to the handle.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:21 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
MardukFIN wrote:American Tackle Bushido Blanks, especially SWB710/15-30.
I've heard this from quite a few sources. How would you rank / rate them along side others? Hopefully better than MHX. Not a fan of most of those, aside from the high mod popping blanks.
Better than regular MHX (IM). Not lightest ones, but very durable. Finish is great matte black. Very powerful blanks. I've built several those. Customers are very satisfied with these. =D>

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:53 pm

Lamiglas, Majorcraft Volkey, Majorcraft Go Emotion, and Shimano Clarus
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:15 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Gen 2 Mojo Bass.
They changed from SC-II to SC-III for the gen 2 Mojo blanks, same blanks as the Avid series. That's why they are better. The Avid series are great sticks, but overpriced imo.
WRONG!! I've heard this before and it isn't true. Yes, the gen 2 Mojo blanks use SC-III graphite but they are not the same blank as the Avid. I spoke to a rep from St. Croix and he told me the material is the same but the resin system and scrims are completely different from the Avid series blanks. It is why there is a distinct difference in sensitivity and responsiveness between the Avid series and the Mojo series.
Barlow's Tackle

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:45 am

I had the Super Griffon and Super Diablo and the blanks on these rods was great, very versatile. I didn't like the long handles.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:14 am

smalljaw wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
They changed from SC-II to SC-III for the gen 2 Mojo blanks, same blanks as the Avid series. That's why they are better. The Avid series are great sticks, but overpriced imo.
WRONG!! I've heard this before and it isn't true. Yes, the gen 2 Mojo blanks use SC-III graphite but they are not the same blank as the Avid. I spoke to a rep from St. Croix and he told me the material is the same but the resin system and scrims are completely different from the Avid series blanks. It is why there is a distinct difference in sensitivity and responsiveness between the Avid series and the Mojo series.
If true, then it is overt deception at the very least. They call it SC-III graphite, but it isnt the same. Wow, that's pretty sneaky. I hate to think that one of the last 3 US rodbuilders isnt being honest with its comsumers.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:18 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
smalljaw wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
If true, then it is overt deception at the very least. They call it SC-III graphite, but it isnt the same. Wow, that's pretty sneaky. I hate to think that one of the last 3 US rodbuilders isnt being honest with its comsumers.
I think they all do that. Like Daiwa may use SVF graphite in the Tatula, Zillion, amd Steez Lines, but I don't think the blanks are identical. I used to think so, but now I'm not so sure.
This is the way.