Who is the MOST over rated ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Who is the MOST over rated ?

Post by goldrod » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:28 pm

I’ve read some remarkable reviews here and sometimes when I think that a particular rod will score high it scores mediocre.
Some rods I’ve tried and really wanted to like them but it was all hype - In My humble opinion anyways which got me to
ask myself what are the most overrated rods? It’s not a price thing either because I really like the gen 1 camaraderie but
have never held and evolution by megabass yet I know someone who says the rod is aesthetically pleasing but a performance
turn off. For me the green NRX are overwhelming overrated yet I still want a blue one.
Last edited by goldrod on Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

FishingwithBranden
Angler
Angler

Re: Who is the MOST over rated ?

Post by FishingwithBranden » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:41 pm

This should be good! I honestly know it is all opinion based on the end user, but with that said, I think some of the St. Croix rods are overrated. I hate some of the reel seats on the higher end models, and their lower models (Bass X, Mojo, Triumph) feel dead to me.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:20 pm

I have fished every Dobyns series except the Xstasy. They all left me underwhelmed in the sensitivity dep't. Their composite and glass rods are very nice, though.
On another note, the Zillion rods all seemed to lack sensitivity, as well.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

raychoi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by raychoi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:29 pm

St-Criox 8-) The cheap ones feel just like Fenwick HMG, the expensive ones have good performance, but look........... :sick:

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:30 pm

Steez Compile X for sure. Dead in my hands. St. Croix Mojo and Rage. Hated the way they fished.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Finnz922 wrote:Steez Compile X for sure. Dead in my hands. St. Croix Mojo and Rage. Hated the way they fished.
Oh yeah, forgot about that one. The 7-1HF was dead in my hands, too.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:52 pm

I'll probably catch some heat for this one...

Dobyns.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:54 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Finnz922 wrote:Steez Compile X for sure. Dead in my hands. St. Croix Mojo and Rage. Hated the way they fished.
Oh yeah, forgot about that one. The 7-1HF was dead in my hands, too.
That's the one. So disappointed in such a bad ass looking stick.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:08 pm

ShimanoFan wrote:I'll probably catch some heat for this one...

Dobyns.

I’ve only tired two and kept one but I agree with you from the experience that I had.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:52 pm

Dobyns.
I beat you to it! :lol:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:24 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:

Dobyns.
I really wanted to like the one rod I brought but I hated it
And I hated the fact that I didn’t listen to the guy who advised me not to buy it.
Still what I can say that’s positive about the rod that I have currently is that it seems
To pair with my pixy type R better that most rods I’ve used.

People seems to like the falcon series of rods but after one rod, I’ll not buy from them ever again.
The cork crucial rods to me were excellent especially for their price point.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:17 pm

Did you buy one of the Chinese made Falcon rod? If so, that might be the problem, same as with those other imports from China or Korea or whatever sweatshop communist country that makes them- probably with child labor too! That's how I think about China rods, and unfortunately for places like custom rod shops, this dislike of cheap Chinese made junk is keeping a lot of people away from their custom blanks too, me included.

Quality control is a big issue.

If you buy Falcon, only buy American made for the quality that earned them the reputation they are now trashing for the $$$$$.

Another issue- who is Dobyns? I have followed bass fishing for 40 years and never heard of him. And, who is making his blanks? No information on that at all. Chinese made or Korean made with a bunch of fancy names on the blanks. Who is Dobyns blank builder? The best are in USA. We KNOW this. So who in China is now a rod expert rivaling USA I can only wonder. From where does Dobyns get its blank technology and who is doing it? Nothing but silence on this. Why? Probably because it is smoke and mirrors.

I have been told straight up by men in this country who actually design and make their own rod blanks tell me that they can not control Chinese quality control, so this is a weak link in the chain. Falcon will soon learn this or is learning this now...

As for Dobyns rods... they fall apart. Cheap cork, and cheap coatings on blank separating from rod.

This is a Dobyns rod after only a few years use here in central Florida. Bet some guy online told him how great they were until this happened... oh, and it had broken guides too, but I can't really blame Dobyns for that... but for this... it is all Dobyns here... cheap:

I sure wish they would leave this type of lure info off rods! I don't need instructions on the rod!

Epoxy coating on blank flaking off rod. Looks like crap now! None of my quality rods wind up like this after only a few years! Who would want this happening to their rods? I can't imagine having a dozen of these!

In my opinion Dobyns rods actual prices should be closer to:

Colt: $20.
Fury:$40 (same as Lightning rod while lightning rods hold up better and longer at this price)
Sierra: $65
Champion: $85
Champion extreme:$95
Xtasy: $109
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:30 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:I have fished every Dobyns series except the Xstasy. They all left me underwhelmed in the sensitivity dep't. Their composite and glass rods are very nice, though.
On another note, the Zillion rods all seemed to lack sensitivity, as well.
Dobyns for this guy as well

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:36 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:

Dobyns.
You did! Glad to see I am not alone for once.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:36 pm

Agreed. I wanted to love that rod so much but couldn't. The Steez AGS rods are a HUGE improvement in my hands. I don't want to brand bash, but there have been some good points made on this thread already. I've been fishing some Croix Legend X, Elite, Extreme, and Tournament rods and have been very happy with them, but haven't fished the Mojo or Rage series, so can't say much there...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap