What’s a good rod for spinnerbaits?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
SapperTyler
Angler
Angler

What’s a good rod for spinnerbaits?

Post by SapperTyler » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:32 am

I’m lookin preferably a 6’10 rod for smaller spinnerbaits buzzbaits and things like that. I want it shorter because I will be using it to cast into cover on the banks. I found the shorter rod really gets me into tight spots with accuracy. I had a Shimano Exage 6’10 MH/F but the tip on it broke. Do any of y’all use shorter rods and have any advice? Most reviews and articles only cover the longer rods.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What’s a good rod for spinnerbaits?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:12 am

Length is widely accepted to be less than 7ft. Where it begins to split is when people talk about action. Some prefer a really fast rod. Some prefer a mod-fast.

Personally, I feel the rod choice should make sense with the line used. If using FC, a faster rod could be used. If braid, mod fast to help with the lack of give. As a moving bait, it helps when the fish is able to such the lure in. Having give from your rod and/or line helps.

This could be all for peanuts though. I used a x-fast rod and braid before I "took the red pill" and joined TackleTour. Never really noticed too much of a change in success. I just compensated for the lack of give by waiting a sec to sec the hook and didnt horse the fish to rip the hook out.

BACK ON TOPIC:
If you can find one, the 6"10 MH OG Tatula is a great rod. Should do well with braid, mono or FC. Its light, got a good taper and is pretty good for what price they go for. Its easy to find the for around 90 or so bucks.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:34 pm

The MajorCraft Speedstyle 6'8" MH is worth checking out in my opinion.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:32 pm

i personally like a moderate action for spinnerbaits, and am thinking about picking up a st croix 6'10 mh s glass rod. i've been using an older 6'9 mh daiwa ballistic rod that was supposed to be a jig/worm rod, but it's way too soft & slow for that.

the time that i don't like a mod action is if i'm throwing titanium wire baits. they so much give themselves that it's hard to stick fish with a slower rod.

i always used mh fast rods until i got to reading post on another forum years ago about glass rods. at the time i had a 7' mh daiwa tds crank rod, so i tried it out for a few weeks on spinnerbaits and was amazed how it hooked fish. seems like the slow action makes a hook penetrate like a needle whereas i was actually tearing a hole in the fish's mouth with a fast action.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:16 pm

7' MH for me, works nice as i have the power to rip the blades through grass.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:38 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:Length is widely accepted to be less than 7ft. Where it begins to split is when people talk about action. Some prefer a really fast rod. Some prefer a mod-fast.

Personally, I feel the rod choice should make sense with the line used. If using FC, a faster rod could be used. If braid, mod fast to help with the lack of give. As a moving bait, it helps when the fish is able to such the lure in. Having give from your rod and/or line helps.

This could be all for peanuts though. I used a x-fast rod and braid before I "took the red pill" and joined TackleTour. Never really noticed too much of a change in success. I just compensated for the lack of give by waiting a sec to sec the hook and didnt horse the fish to rip the hook out.

BACK ON TOPIC:
If you can find one, the 6"10 MH OG Tatula is a great rod. Should do well with braid, mono or FC. Its light, got a good taper and is pretty good for what price they go for. Its easy to find the for around 90 or so bucks.
Yes, that is an excellent Keitech rod, too. I'm thinking about selling mine just because I got a major craft that will probably take over that duty, but it will be hard to part with the Tat. It has been very good to me.
This is the way.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:26 pm

NOTE: I just realized these rods are no longer in the lineup, so you’d have to look at the used market.
The Megabass Orochi XX or Levante Spinnerbait Special is really exceptional. A 1oz bait is pushing it, but it works ok for short roll casts on baits that size. It’s perfect for 3/8-3/4oz baits.

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:05 am

Maybe the Evergreen Multi Roler its a great rod for that. Its rated Médium Plus 7'.

Regards