All purpose spinning rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

All purpose spinning rod

Post by Randingo » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:37 pm

Like most of you, I have all kinds of specialized spinning rods, from ML to MH in power and lengths from 6’3 to 7’6. Depending on where I’m fishing, where the fish are located, and whose boat I’m in, my rod assortment may be nearly all casting or predominantly spinning. When I’m in the situation that it’s mostly going to be casting rods, I would like a do-it-all rod, preferably in the 6’10 to 7’4 range that can handle a wide variety of finesse applications, including dropshot, shakey head, Ned rigs, tubes, wacky & Neko rigs, etc. You get the idea. Obviously, nothing is going to excel in all these techniques, and I’m already planning on erring on the heavier side—so at least medium power. I’m very interested in the Orochi XX Shakeyhead rod and the Destroyer Addermine, and I’m wondering about whether the Destroyer rod is worth the extra money relative to the seemingly very improved Orochi. But my eyes and wallet are open to other considerations. I should note that I despise the ReCoil guide train on the NRX, so it’s a non-starter for me. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: All purpose spinning rod

Post by Kschultz76 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:17 pm

I have the Addermine as well as several St Croix spinning rods from Avids to Extremes, and have used a few Loomis including GLX. The Addermine to me is going to be a great general purpose spinning rod, and that’s exactly how I use it. Can’t compare it to the new XX Shakeyhead for you.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: All purpose spinning rod

Post by Obz » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:40 pm

I have a 6'8Mxf st.Croix avid. I use it for drop shot, shakey head and senkos. Does all very well