Best combo for a chatterbait?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best combo for a chatterbait?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:47 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:Same rod I throw spinnerbaits on, 843c, choose your series. I love the Conquest after using NRX for years. Have also thrown on 873 NRX on the rare occasion I need more power. Can’t stand a heavy glass rod for ripping through hydrilla all day, just not needed. When they eat straight off a rip, it’s really nice to have that solid backbone and fast action for hookset. No idea why people are losing fish, never had that issue.
I dont get how people lose so may fish either, same with frogs.

I like the give with chatterbait setup because the fish can inhale the moving bait easier. Once the fish is on, its on. Less likely for the fish to shortstrike
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:32 pm

It depends on your hookset. If you set the hook as hard as you can stepping backwards in the boat like Brett Hite then you want a heavy action cranking rod like he uses to absorb your hookset and not pull the bait away. If your hookset is to just load up the rod by turning your hips like a crankbait hookset then you are better off with a moderate fast action graphite rod like the Javelin or NRX 843 because if you set the hook like that a fiberglass or composite cranking rod won't drive the hook home.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:32 pm

Expride 73mh glass with bantam 151hg.

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:39 pm

What would you recommend I use to throw this beast? :D
Attachments
38C992BE-52C3-4D46-A1F4-389D6FD5B966.jpeg
38C992BE-52C3-4D46-A1F4-389D6FD5B966.jpeg (56.85 KiB) Viewed 7205 times
07F17D61-57A0-4DF3-AD4C-1872B7BA2AD6.jpeg
07F17D61-57A0-4DF3-AD4C-1872B7BA2AD6.jpeg (51.87 KiB) Viewed 7205 times

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:00 am

^ A 2x4x8' :lol:

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:10 am

3/8oz - nrx 843 and glx 844 (cover dependent)
1/2oz - glx 844
3/4oz - poison adrena 7'2H

Typically use braid but I do throw 3/8oz on 16lb sniper around hard cover and minimal grass. 7:1 reel.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:28 am

This topic has been beat to death on TT and every other fishing site that I frequent. The answer all depends on what you are fishing. The bladed jig can be thrown just about anywhere. Therefore, the answers will be all over the place. Brett Hite and many of the other guys that are throwing glass/composite rods with fluoro are often grass fisherman that like the delay that a slow rod provides when ripping your bait out of the grass.
I fish a lot around rocky shorelines where I cover water very quickly. Long casts are a must, but I'm not a huge guy. It is a lot more difficult to get a heavy single hook to penetrate at the end of a long cast with fluoro and a glass rod. The heavy glass rod really wears you out also. Braid is not an option during the day in the ultra clear water that I usually fish. I have to move large fish very quickly away from structure and cover to deep water. I like a 7'3" HF action graphite rod with a 7.1 ratio reel and 20 lb. Sniper most of the time. I fish 6.3 and 7.3 ratio reels also. The 6.3 is better when I slow down in stained water. I throw the 7.3 ratio in clear water when I am letting a heavy wind drift my boat and I am casting down wind. I could get away with a 7'6" rod, but they will also wear you out, and they tend to get in the way when I need to make an accurate close range cast. Make sure that you use the best tool for your situation.
Last edited by toddmc on Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:33 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Same rod I throw spinnerbaits on, 843c, choose your series. I love the Conquest after using NRX for years. Have also thrown on 873 NRX on the rare occasion I need more power. Can’t stand a heavy glass rod for ripping through hydrilla all day, just not needed. When they eat straight off a rip, it’s really nice to have that solid backbone and fast action for hookset. No idea why people are losing fish, never had that issue.
Exactly. I really enjoy Conquest 903 for spinner baits and chatter baits in longer casting, open water situations. I've always thought the GLX 843c MBR was an ideal spinner bait/chatter bait rod in that 3/8 to 1/2 oz. range. I'm not a big fan of glass rods in general and definitely not a fan of them for spinner/chatter baits, though I understand why some guys do like them.

Megabass makes some great ones worthy of consideration as well. XX Diablo Spec R, US Destroyer Daemos, and after having fished several of the new Levante models, which are vastly improved over the first generation, the Diablo Spec R in 2019 Levante is a good one too.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:53 am

You guys that are losing fish on the bladed jig aren't using the right tackle to get a good hook set, or are letting the fish get slack. Any jig style bait will tend to get thrown when a fish gets slack because of the heavy weight at the front of the hook. It is simple physics. The simple answer is to keep the fish down and to not give them any slack. Walk the fish around the boat, like any good crankbait fisherman does, if the fish are still green when you get them to the boat, but don't give then slack. You won't lose many fish with heavy single hooks, heavy rods, and heavy line if you take control of the situation. I have subdued several fish over 10 on bladed jigs with heavy tackle without issues.
Smallmouth and smaller largemouth are a whole other issue. Their small mouths cause them to miss a searching style bait. The good news is they are often aggressive enough to hit the bait several times. Largemouth over two pounds just don't miss baits very often if they are hungry.
The small males around beds during the spring just aren't going to be high percentage catches because they often miss the bait. They aren't eating out of hunger. Make sure that you take this into account.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:10 am

Heddonfrog wrote:What would you recommend I use to throw this beast? :D
I would wear a mouth guard when throwing that thing, or you might shake out some of your dental work. :o

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:43 am

:laugh1:
Mike son wrote:^ A 2x4x8' :lol:
This is the way.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:18 am

rub the right way.jpeg
rub the right way.jpeg (56.85 KiB) Viewed 7151 times
No good suggestion to throw that chatter blaster, but....

It's nice to see that I am not the only one relagated to fishing pictures in the bathroom.. :shock: :oops: :lol:

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:56 pm

Honestly I would just tie that off to the rear carry handle of my kayak and troll with it. I’d be a hell of a good workout I bet.

FishingwithBranden
Angler
Angler

Post by FishingwithBranden » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:45 pm

Ok, I am going to switch my line to braid to see if that helps due to me usually fishing in stained water.

What about colors? Shad color the go to for most or are the more favorable colors depending on the conditions?

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JigginOG » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:13 am

toddmc wrote:This topic has been beat to death on TT and every other fishing site that I frequent. The answer all depends on what you are fishing. The bladed jig can be thrown just about anywhere. Therefore, the answers will be all over the place. Brett Hite and many of the other guys that are throwing glass/composite rods with fluoro are often grass fisherman that like the delay that a slow rod provides when ripping your bait out of the grass.
I fish quite often with a guy with 2 St. Croix 7’mh xtremes on 7:1 reels with braid. He does everything with them everywhere. Jigs, cranks, chatters, you name it. Even 1oz Swimbaits. It bugs the crap out of me, but to each their own I guess. :lol: :whistle:
Last edited by JigginOG on Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.