Best combo for a chatterbait?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
FishingwithBranden
Angler
Angler

Best combo for a chatterbait?

Post by FishingwithBranden » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:55 pm

Currently I am throwing a 6.4:1 reel ratio on a Dobyns 734 C. I have seen where people are recommending a glass rod or similar action. Is there a benefit to this?

I want to start using it more frequently and could use some pointers on a getting a decent setup.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best combo for a chatterbait?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:50 pm

Glass is nice but, not always the go to for everyone.

If I were to have a dedicated chatterbait setup, it would be a 7'3ish glass rod with braid and a 7.1 reel.

The braided line is a must, as ripping the bait through weeds is a lot easier. Having the give in the rod is easier to control and is more consistent. A lot of times, I get bit at the end of a long cast. If using FC, I would be in trouble trying to set the hook. I would also have less control on that long line over weeds too.

However, I do not have one so, I have to compromise a little. I have 1 rod to have most of my moving MH baits, including frogs. That rod is also a secondary jig rod too.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

FishingwithBranden
Angler
Angler

Post by FishingwithBranden » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:58 pm

Do you use a leader with the braid? What color water do you fish mostly.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:05 pm

What he said. I use a 7'2" MH glass composite Tatula with a 6.3 Zillion TWS and 40# braid without a leader and I can't imagine a better setup. It slings a mile, is actually really sensitive but won't beat the hell out of you, has more than enough backbone to set the hook, and almost never fails to land the fish. I tried it with a TD Zillion 7.1 and 15# fluoro, and after a few inexplicably lost fish I went back to the braid and started slaying them left and right.

I am anxious to try my new MH MS-X with a Zillion SV 7.3 and 16# sniper. I hear tell it makes a good chatterbait rod, too, but we'll see. If not, I already know it makes a great jig and texas rig rod, so i have no problem fishing them all the time on the Tatula.
This is the way.

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JigginOG » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:24 am

I probably sound like a broken record, but I can’t say enough good things about the Steez AGS 7’2” mh.
It is my favorite rod for single hook moving baits. It is not your traditional regular tapered crank rod. It’s stiffer to rip through grass and with plenty backbone for solid hook sets, but once under load it transitions nicely to that regular taper to ease the fish in.
Full graphite rod with AGS guides for much higher sensitivity compared to glass and composite rods. Also much lighter and very well balanced with any reel.
Got mines paired with a 6.3 Steez A running 20lb fc.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:51 am

^ ^ that sounds like the 7'1" Tatula in the way it handles. It is a good moving bait rod, but it's almost too stiff for big chatters and spinners. Too much resistance puts a strain on it and the user. I use mine for swim jigs and pencil poppers. But that's just me. I don't think there's ever a wrong answer to these questions.
This is the way.

capesmallie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capesmallie » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:34 am

I am liking my Shimano poison glorious biwako versatile x with a metanium Mgl these days. I think my favorite chatterbait rod was the Jackson bank fishing advantage too bad it fell apart after 2 seasons.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:54 am

Dobyns 736 chatterbait rod and chronarch 100d7 with braid. Awesome setup for heavy cover or 1/2oz chatterbaits
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:32 am

Checkout Alphaangler Chatterbound rod for 235.
It’s a composite rod with a glass tip.
I ordered one.
I have 4 other alphaangler rods they are tournament grade rods.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:40 am

Same rod I throw spinnerbaits on, 843c, choose your series. I love the Conquest after using NRX for years. Have also thrown on 873 NRX on the rare occasion I need more power. Can’t stand a heavy glass rod for ripping through hydrilla all day, just not needed. When they eat straight off a rip, it’s really nice to have that solid backbone and fast action for hookset. No idea why people are losing fish, never had that issue.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:45 am

843 conquest for me. I love the tip and backbone for chatterbaits. I usually go 3/8 plus trailer.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:18 am

been using the Dobyns 765 graphite cranking rod and like it. Before that Loomis MBR843. both work very well.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:44 am

capesmallie wrote:I am liking my Shimano poison glorious biwako versatile x with a metanium Mgl these days. I think my favorite chatterbait rod was the Jackson bank fishing advantage too bad it fell apart after 2 seasons.
Fell apart?? I'm suddenly feeling better about not getting a Super Trickster...
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:47 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Same rod I throw spinnerbaits on, 843c, choose your series. I love the Conquest after using NRX for years. Have also thrown on 873 NRX on the rare occasion I need more power. Can’t stand a heavy glass rod for ripping through hydrilla all day, just not needed. When they eat straight off a rip, it’s really nice to have that solid backbone and fast action for hookset. No idea why people are losing fish, never had that issue.
Mine is only 5.3oz, so it's really not bad. It's tip heavy, but the way I fish them that really doesn't matter.
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:35 am

Don't have the best rods, but a 7.3 Zillion TWS with 15lb and even 12lb fluoro works fine on my river system, using a Lew's Custom Crankbait rod in 7'6"MH mf. This is for 3/8 and 1/2 chatters, for lighter ones (1/4) and sometimes 3/8 in a pinch I have used a 7'M fast rod with 12lb fine. I do agree with some others though and if I fished more chatterbaits I'd use 40-50lb area braid to compensate rod flex.