MB XXX Cover Hacking Orochi

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Team Bass
Angler
Angler

MB XXX Cover Hacking Orochi

Post by Team Bass » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Looking for a shorter MB rod for my wife that would handle hollow body frogs in sparse cover? Any thoughts on this rod? That is all it will be used for. Any feedback would be great. Also any info on the XXX Mat Bucker Type L or the XXX Destruction 70 7’0 would be helpful also for myself. Thanks

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: MB XXX Cover Hacking Orochi

Post by bronzefly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:04 pm

I've fished all three rods in question. IF she could handle the 7' length, the Destruction would be my top choice of the three. That rod is really nice for hollow body frogs in sparse to heavier cover. The Bandersnatch would benefit greatly from heavier braid and a lot more experience getting fish out of the cover. It's a medium heavy moderate which is better suited to spinner baits and chatter baits, top water walking baits, larger square bills, etc. The Destruction offers more forgiveness for someone who needs the rod to do a lot more of the work keeping the fish pinned in cover as it's not as hard to apply necessary pressure. Let me know if I can help out further...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Team Bass
Angler
Angler

Post by Team Bass » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:32 pm

bronzefly wrote:I've fished all three rods in question. IF she could handle the 7' length, the Destruction would be my top choice of the three. That rod is really nice for hollow body frogs in sparse to heavier cover. The Bandersnatch would benefit greatly from heavier braid and a lot more experience getting fish out of the cover. It's a medium heavy moderate which is better suited to spinner baits and chatter baits, top water walking baits, larger square bills, etc. The Destruction offers more forgiveness for someone who needs the rod to do a lot more of the work keeping the fish pinned in cover as it's not as hard to apply necessary pressure. Let me know if I can help out further...
Thank you very much for the info. In the coming weeks I will put in another order to the trap. You guys are great.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:13 pm

Team Bass wrote:
bronzefly wrote:I've fished all three rods in question. IF she could handle the 7' length, the Destruction would be my top choice of the three. That rod is really nice for hollow body frogs in sparse to heavier cover. The Bandersnatch would benefit greatly from heavier braid and a lot more experience getting fish out of the cover. It's a medium heavy moderate which is better suited to spinner baits and chatter baits, top water walking baits, larger square bills, etc. The Destruction offers more forgiveness for someone who needs the rod to do a lot more of the work keeping the fish pinned in cover as it's not as hard to apply necessary pressure. Let me know if I can help out further...
Thank you very much for the info. In the coming weeks I will put in another order to the trap. You guys are great.
Yes sir, glad to help out anytime, Thank you!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:05 am

bronzefly wrote:
Team Bass wrote:
Yes sir, glad to help out anytime, Thank you!
What’s your take on the cover hacking?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:57 am

goldrod wrote:What’s your take on the cover hacking?
It's a good close quarters heavy cover jig rod. It has a lot of backbone of course and is faster in action than a lot of the other XXX rods. It could certainly be used for lighter to moderate cover frogging, though I'd still much prefer the XXX Destruction personally. I misread the OP and mentioned the Bandersnatch rather than the CH, my apologies!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:34 am

bronzefly wrote:
goldrod wrote:What’s your take on the cover hacking?
It's a good close quarters heavy cover jig rod. It has a lot of backbone of course and is faster in action than a lot of the other XXX rods. It could certainly be used for lighter to moderate cover frogging, though I'd still much prefer the XXX Destruction personally. I misread the OP and mentioned the Bandersnatch rather than the CH, my apologies!

No worries Gary,
I had been looking at that rod as well. But right now I need or want a bigger unit
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible