Megabass Destroyer Javelin?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass Destroyer Javelin?

Post by Dustys60 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks Gary. I'm going to start another thread because I don't want to derail this one I have some more questions.

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mthao105 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:37 pm

Thank you for all the feedback guys. How does this rod handle the lighter line side (10-12lb) of things?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:01 am

Dustys60 wrote:Thanks Gary. I'm going to start another thread because I don't want to derail this one I have some more questions.
You're welcome - feel free to email me anytime thetackletrap @ gmail.com
mthao105 wrote:Thank you for all the feedback guys. How does this rod handle the lighter line side (10-12lb) of things?
I use 12# Sunline Super FC Sniper on mine most of the time and it works just fine, no issues.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:45 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:This was my first of many Megabass rods and is still one of my favorites and most versitile. It was the only high end rod I owned for about 3 months and all I used. I have used it extensivly for bottom contact, lipless cranks, mid-depth cranks, swim jigs, smaller swimbaits (<1.5oz), chatterbaits and even heavier neds. It excels in distance casting and the length facilitates hooksets in deeper water. The guides are big enough to go braid to leader, the handle is short enough to work a jerkbait or topwater in a pinch. It also holds it's own in pitching and flipping in moderate to light cover.
It would not be an ideal rod for close quarters bank fishing or pond fishing.
I've got mine paired with an OG Morethan and it's a match made in heaven, both athetically and functionally. I would suggest pairing with a 7oz+ reel as it is somewhat tip heavy.
rsz_morethanjavelin (1).jpg

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mthao105 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:09 pm

The rod came in today. As you all said, it is a little tip heavy but far from being uncomfortable. Did some backyard casting and man... this thing is sensitive! I can't wait to get it on the water. Thanks for all the feedback!

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:48 pm

mthao105 wrote:Thank you for all the feedback guys. How does this rod handle the lighter line side (10-12lb) of things?
This is one of the things I really like about the Javelin. 12 Lb Tatsu is my line of choice as I get greater casting distance and ease especially with lighter baits. With the Javelin you can still power fish with lighter 12 lb line and set the hook as hard as you like. It is soft enough not to break the line and powerful enough to get good hooksets.

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:18 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Dustys60 wrote:Thanks Gary. I'm going to start another thread because I don't want to derail this one I have some more questions.
You're welcome - feel free to email me anytime thetackletrap @ gmail.com

Got my javelin today, Looks great . Thanks alot Gary

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:58 am

Dustys60 wrote:
Got my javelin today, Looks great . Thanks alot Gary
Thank you and enjoy! I had my Javelin out yesterday junk fishing. I threw everything from a jerk bait, a lipless, and a Dark Sleeper to a 1/2 oz Keitech tungsten FB jig with a small trailer. I absolutely love that rod 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:08 pm

The question I'd like to know is how does it compare to the Power Versatile?
Seems like a Souped up PV..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:12 pm

goldrod wrote:The question I'd like to know is how does it compare to the Power Versatile?
Seems like a Souped up PV..
The Power Versatile is rated to 4 oz. vs 1 oz. first of all, so they are a completely different class of rod. Regular action on the PV vs Mod fast on the Javelin - the Javelin is a light, crisp versatile rod for baits in its range. The PV is just that, highly versatile for power techniques preferably in that 1 to 3 oz range. It's somewhat difficult to compare the two since they are so different, but generally, they are both very versatile for baits in their respective ranges.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mthao105 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:24 pm

Just thought I'd post an update after fishing it for a few trips. This rod is truly a do everything type of rod. Reminds me of a Dobyns 734C, but just a lot more crisp and slightly more moderate. Caught fish throwing spinnerbaits, finesse/football jigs to 1/2 ounce, and texas rigs. Even threw an SWaver 168 on it and it handled it beautifully. Truly impressed with this rod.