Help with last higher end spinning set up!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Help with last higher end spinning set up!

Post by Matt_3479 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:55 pm

Hey everyone, I’ve been roaming around trying to find what needs to be upgraded this season or added to the aresenal and have locked down just 2 as everything else is new as of last season. First one will be an nrx 893c paired with either chronarch mgl or metanium mgl. Second is to upgrade my spinning gear. I just added a loomis glx 822s dsr paired with a stradic ci4+ late November I believe but would like one more, little more universal set up. I don’t do a ton of spinning stuff so looking for something to cover most other techinques when I pull them out. Looking at an nrx 852s or 872s. I’ve handled both and the 852 I think felt a bit better but have been told the 7’3” might be a bit better when throwing tubes or any deeper water application and the 852 is a touch more sensitive and better around docks. Will most likely be paired with another stradic ci4+. Also considering saving a few pennies and trying an expride but heavily leaning towards the nrx

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Help with last higher end spinning set up!

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:25 pm

Steez AGS 7'6 MML if you don't plan on fishing around docks or Megabass Addermine if you want a shorter rod.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:16 am

Thank you. The steez rods are hard to find local for me so they might be out. Best I can find in the daiwa line up is the tatula elite series. I use to fish a zillion rod and loved it but sold it off to a buddy as I just didn’t need it. I’m headed north in the next week and maybe I can get my hands on it there. As of now though I’m pretty set on the nrx or possibly the st. Croix elite

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:57 am

Matt_3479 wrote:Thank you. The steez rods are hard to find local for me so they might be out. Best I can find in the daiwa line up is the tatula elite series. I use to fish a zillion rod and loved it but sold it off to a buddy as I just didn’t need it. I’m headed north in the next week and maybe I can get my hands on it there. As of now though I’m pretty set on the nrx or possibly the st. Croix elite
It's a lot of money to throw down sight unseen, but now I own two of them.

ResoKP
Angler
Angler

Post by ResoKP » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:25 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAZrcSGxYUo

Talks about the 7'6" Steez AGS in comparison to NRX offerings. Makes me want one...

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:17 am

ResoKP wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAZrcSGxYUo

Talks about the 7'6" Steez AGS in comparison to NRX offerings. Makes me want one...
Gary from the Tackle Trap, bronzeeye on here, has used both the NRX and Steez models. He's worth a phone call prior to purchasing anything.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:37 pm

Seems to be a pretty popular rod! I have got to get my hands on one. Is 7’6 the most universal option or just your favorite. Cause it seems a bit long if you aren’t going more deep water?

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:55 pm

Matt_3479 wrote:Seems to be a pretty popular rod! I have got to get my hands on one. Is 7’6 the most universal option or just your favorite. Cause it seems a bit long if you aren’t going more deep water?
There's a Winston fly rod model (8'6 4wt B2T) that was coined the Staff of Moses because it was so sweet. This is the spinning rod version. Ned rig, Neko, spy baits, weightless senkos, shaky head, cast and drag drop shot, etc. It does it all exceptionally well except vertical drop shot (some think it vertical drop shots really good). The length is a hinderance around docks though.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:10 pm

I'm a HUGE fan of the Steez 76MML AGS spinning rod. We keep them in stock at The Tackle Trap when we can. I have the Conquest 902s paired with a current Stella and I have the Steez AGS 76MML paired with the current Exist. It's been a lot of fun learning these set ups and how they compare, compliment, and or contrast. I've also fished 852 and 872s NRX quite a lot. Feel free to shoot me a PM if I can help out. Regardless, you're on the right track with this group of rods!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap