Calling Dobyns DX703C experts

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Calling Dobyns DX703C experts

Post by romans » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:24 pm

I was wanting to ask the experts some details as to what is some of the "sweet spots" with this rod. Like what size spinnerbaits does this rod like? How heavy a bass jig with trailer does it like? How heavy a texas rig with a creature bait will this rod like?
Thanks in advance

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Calling Dobyns DX703C experts

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:12 pm

romans wrote:I was wanting to ask the experts some details as to what is some of the "sweet spots" with this rod. Like what size spinnerbaits does this rod like? How heavy a bass jig with trailer does it like? How heavy a texas rig with a creature bait will this rod like?
Thanks in advance
It's been some time since I've fished mine, but from what I can remember a 1/4oz tungsten plus plastic was about just right with that stick. I don't recall fishing any blades with it, but 3/8oz may be the sweet spot...1/2oz may be pushing it.

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by romans » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:48 pm

I figured with the popularity of this brand that there would be no shortage of replies. The Dobyns guys must all be out fishing.

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mthao105 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:17 am

The rod will work for up to 3/8 ounce, but the sweet spot range for texas rigs would be 1/4 plus plastic from my experience. The only jigs I've thrown are 1/4-3/8 finesse football jigs with twin tail grub trailers. Again, the sweet spot seemed to be more towards the 1/4 ounce plus plastic for me. On the spinnerbait side, 3/8 ounce baits work well on this rod.