Shimano Slx vs Dobyns fury

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Joshua van Wyk
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Shimano Slx vs Dobyns fury

Post by Joshua van Wyk » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:54 am

Hey guys,
For my next spinning rod I am looking at either a Dobyns Fury 702 or a shimano Slx 7 ml, I was initially going to get a Fury but after seeing the guys at Tactical Bassin give the Slx such high praise I'm in two minds. I will be putting either a Dawia Fuego 2500 or a Daiwa BG 2500 on the rod, I am also planning on using this rod for ned rigs, dropshot, and senkos. Which one would you pick?

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Shimano Slx vs Dobyns fury

Post by Heddonfrog » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:27 pm

I think Matt & Tim know what they’re talking about. Granted they have a bit of Shimano fanboy in them but they have always liked Dobyns as well. My son has 2 casting fury’s and I’ve used them both and they’re good rods, just not as crisp or sensitive as dads ;) Think about it this way, the near $100 price point is fiercely competitive and companies want to hook anglers into their brand starting in that range. They also try really hard to produce a rod that fishes outside it’s price class. Some are probably being sold by big companies like Shimano at near break even just to get you on board. The SLX is a newer design using newer materials and is likely to be more sensitive than the Fury which is only so-so in sensitivity and that my friend is why I’d go for the SLX...well that and I trust Tacticals opinion