G Loomis Build Quality

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: G Loomis Build Quality

Post by toddmc » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:36 am

I just don't get the hype behind these rods. This is not something new. They have always been built poorly. Why would you pay that kind of money for a rod that only has a good blank? I fish with one of the Shimano headquarters guys on occasion. He is embarrassed by NRX rods because they are so bad. Shimano/Loomis just charges as much as they can, and then they warranty stuff. You would be blown away with all of the returns at the US headquarters that have issues that aren't even attempted to be fixed. That isn't a very good business model. He doesn't even fish many Loomis/Shimano rods. That tells you a lot.
Your money can go a lot further elsewhere!!!

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:15 am

I think I'm done after this one. I have a 893 which I love and the 894 has a lot of hype like the 893, so I wanted it as a compliment to the 893. I will probably stick to St Croix from now on. Their rods have great build quality and their customer service is top notch.

LNunley
Angler
Angler

Post by LNunley » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:52 am

I’ve had a bunch of NRX Rods with no issues. Have all Conquests now and no issues on them either.

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:10 am

You guys are the lucky bunch. I dont know if some of y'all remember when they had the foregrip issue. Now that was bad

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:39 am

it seems to be hit or miss. i have many Loomis rods (GL3, TSR, E6X, Escape travel etc) but no high end ones.

the build quality all mine is fantastic, even on the E6X's which are the BOTTOM end ones lol.

to hear this happening on their flagship models is unacceptable. Go to the shimano support board and tell Bantam1 about it. He can surely help.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:27 am

Their QC team says the rod is within spec and that I could send it to them for further inspection. I hope everyone considers themselves warned that this is what they could end up with for $575.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:30 am

HobeyBaker wrote:Their QC team says the rod is within spec and that I could send it to them for further inspection. I hope everyone considers themselves warned that this is what they could end up with for $575.
That's absurd. This is a one of the reasons why I am considering a Daiwa AGS casting rod over another NRX.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:57 am

Gone Phishin wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:Their QC team says the rod is within spec and that I could send it to them for further inspection. I hope everyone considers themselves warned that this is what they could end up with for $575.
That's absurd. This is a one of the reasons why I am considering a Daiwa AGS casting rod over another NRX.
I have two Steez AGS 7’6 MML rods. Flawless build quality. I always thought Shimano and Daiwa were neck and neck, but this makes me think Daiwa has surpassed them. I really enjoy my Steez SV TW and Steez A reels.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:21 am

HobeyBaker wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:
I have two Steez AGS 7’6 MML rods. Flawless build quality. I always thought Shimano and Daiwa were neck and neck, but this makes me think Daiwa has surpassed them. I really enjoy my Steez SV TW and Steez A reels.
That's really refreshing to hear. Have you had a chance to fish the now discontinued Cumulus rod by Shimano?...just wondering, if so, how that stacks up against your AGS sticks.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:26 am

I haven’t had a chance to fish the Cumulus rods. I doubt I buy another Shimano/G Loomis product after this debacle.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:43 am

HobeyBaker wrote:I haven’t had a chance to fish the Cumulus rods. I doubt I buy another Shimano/G Loomis product after this debacle.
I don't blame you in the slightest.

The 7'1" Cumulus is one of my favorite sticks of ever...was just wondering how the sensitivity stacks up against the AGS sticks. Sorry for the thread derailment.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:15 pm

I sent an email this afternoon to the President of Shimano USA and explained my frustration and pictures of the rods. I got an email an hour later from the Quality Control Manager that they would pay for the shipping to their factory and he would personally inspect the rod.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:47 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:I sent an email this afternoon to the President of Shimano USA and explained my frustration and pictures of the rods. I got an email an hour later from the Quality Control Manager that they would pay for the shipping to their factory and he would personally inspect the rod.

=D> Great to hear!

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:25 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:I sent an email this afternoon to the President of Shimano USA and explained my frustration and pictures of the rods. I got an email an hour later from the Quality Control Manager that they would pay for the shipping to their factory and he would personally inspect the rod.

=D> Great to hear!
Well; it’s progress at least. I’m disappointed that it took so much effort and that an inspection is still necessary. It’s also hard to believe someone stated that build was according to specs after seeing those photos. I have two JDM shimano (poisons, one ultima) rods that are works of art. I also have a conquest I bought used and in good shape. I’ve had to get guides remounted on the conquest twice in the 4 months or so I’ve been using it. The conquest is great and I figured guides were falling off because of heavy use. Now I wonder. Conquests are advertised as blanks sent from Japan to WA for build. I wonder if their “specs” are so marginal because they build so many to replace rods with their warranty(?) I don’t know; I guess I’m warned.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:40 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:

=D> Great to hear!
Well; it’s progress at least. I’m disappointed that it took so much effort and that an inspection is still necessary. It’s also hard to believe someone stated that build was according to specs after seeing those photos. I have two JDM shimano (poisons, one ultima) rods that are works of art. I also have a conquest I bought used and in good shape. I’ve had to get guides remounted on the conquest twice in the 4 months or so I’ve been using it. The conquest is great and I figured guides were falling off because of heavy use. Now I wonder. Conquests are advertised as blanks sent from Japan to WA for build. I wonder if their “specs” are so marginal because they build so many to replace rods with their warranty(?) I don’t know; I guess I’m warned.
I'm cautiously optimistic. I had three people email me within 90 minutes of sending the email. I wish Loomis would sell their blanks again. If Sage and Winston are ok with custom builders using their blanks for fly rods, then Loomis should be ok with custom builders using blanks for regular bass rods.