G Loomis Build Quality

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: G Loomis Build Quality

Post by 78Staff » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:47 am

smallies wrote:Also feel like the cork breaks easier on these rods than others, though that isnt really a quality control issue. My 822 has a rather large chunk of cork missing from the beginning days, and it is the actual cork that is damaged, not filler
That's one thing I've hated about NRX's... or I guess GLoomis in general - those crappy labels they put on the grips. They never pull off clean and I'm always worried about chunking out some cork trying to get the label and glue remnants off... 8-[

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:02 am

I was going to offer to help but it appears someone contacted you before I could get involved.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:52 pm

All NRX rods I’ve handled so far have the worst epoxy job and cork I’ve ever seen. My 802 (compared to two others ones of my friends which don’t) even has top twist under load. But being in Germany and Shimano just importing one model (804) these days... it’s Stick to the one in your hands or never own a nrx again. THATS frustrating. Just having to deal with customer support seems way better :D

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:09 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:I sent an email this afternoon to the President of Shimano USA and explained my frustration and pictures of the rods. I got an email an hour later from the Quality Control Manager that they would pay for the shipping to their factory and he would personally inspect the rod.

=D> Great to hear!
Well; it’s progress at least. I’m disappointed that it took so much effort and that an inspection is still necessary. It’s also hard to believe someone stated that build was according to specs after seeing those photos. I have two JDM shimano (poisons, one ultima) rods that are works of art. I also have a conquest I bought used and in good shape. I’ve had to get guides remounted on the conquest twice in the 4 months or so I’ve been using it. The conquest is great and I figured guides were falling off because of heavy use. Now I wonder. Conquests are advertised as blanks sent from Japan to WA for build. I wonder if their “specs” are so marginal because they build so many to replace rods with their warranty(?) I don’t know; I guess I’m warned.
I'm cautiously optimistic. I had three people email me within 90 minutes of sending the email. I wish Loomis would sell their blanks again. If Sage and Winston are ok with custom builders using their blanks for fly rods, then Loomis should be ok with custom builders using blanks for regular bass rods.

I agree with both of you gentlemen. Hoping everything works out for you. 8-)

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:59 pm

I got the rod today and it has a good build. Alignment of the guides were straight, wraps were good, and the handle assembly looked clean. Is it model dependent on where the rod label is? It’s on the split grip portion on my 893 and it’s by the hook keeper on the 894. I seriously doubt my 893 is fake since I bought it from Cabelas.
Last edited by HobeyBaker on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:05 pm

Wasnt just a foregrip issue. A lot of that same era rods had the reel seat break loose completely. I know a board member who has had 9 out of 11 reel seat failures. Thats just plain stupid on a $500-$600 rod!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:27 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:Wasnt just a foregrip issue. A lot of that same era rods had the reel seat break loose completely. I know a board member who has had 9 out of 11 reel seat failures. Thats just plain stupid on a $500-$600 rod!
I had numerous people on here PM for the management contact information. That issue sounds like they forgot to use epoxy when assembling.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:26 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:Wasnt just a foregrip issue. A lot of that same era rods had the reel seat break loose completely. I know a board member who has had 9 out of 11 reel seat failures. Thats just plain stupid on a $500-$600 rod!
I had numerous people on here PM for the management contact information. That issue sounds like they forgot to use epoxy when assembling.
I think they either had a bad batch of epoxy from their supplier, or they just didnt use enough to begin with. Either way, QC should have caught that before they went out the door, especially considering the price of the rods.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:16 am

With one exception, my G.Loomis NRX and Conquest experiences have been more than satisfactory. A few weeks ago, my NRX 852C experienced the dreaded "reel seat locking mechanism failing issue". After exchanging PMs with "Bantam1", I sent the defective rod to G.Loomis on 4 February and had an new rod "in hand" on 8 February =D>

The build quality on my NRX 893C, original NRX 852C, new NRX 852C, NRX 902S and Conquest 902S is excellent. That includes the cork after six years of fishing with the 893/original 852 and two years with the NRX 902. The cork on the Conquest is some of the best I have seen/held. And to say I am an obsessive, Type A, extremely "picky" person with regards to my fishing gear would be called an understatement by those who know me :laugh1: . If there was any issue with those rods, I would be more than the "squeaky wheel" if the issue was not dealt with :big grin:

So, I am hoping the "trend" holds for me since I have a Conquest 842C and 903C waiting for my return home tonight :D

A satisfied NXR/Conquest owner (so far).

Regards,

Doc

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:13 am

I guess I’ve also been lucky with my NRX and Conquest purchases. I own 12 NRX and 6 Conquest, and only had 1 reel seat issue with any of them, and that was after some really hard use. I simply used some rod building glue and rebuilt the hood section, which took less than 5 minutes to reattach the threaded tube and/or arbor, and it never came loose again. One thing you never know is if the reel seat was tightened to much(doubt anyone would admit that). This can easily cause the epoxy to come loose over time causing the issue. My problem was with the guides though. Ended up breaking several Recoils over the years, which is weird because they aren’t supposed to break :-k Customer service is top notch though. Just finished up the Xpeditor process on one of my full custom NRX’s that I broke, and when they say no questions asked, they mean it!

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:41 am

Loomis does not build rods in-house they are subbed out to local rod builders.
They only do warranty and specialty stuff in house. All production rods are farmed out.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:59 am

That is 100% false. There are videos out there of the factory. I have been to the factory several times. Trust me the rods are built by G.Loomis at their factory with exception of the Conquest blank. Those are made by one of our Shimano factories. I just love the disinformation being provided with zero facts or evidence. Bold statement with nothing to back it up except you posted it on the internet.

Yes some guides are wrapped offsite by G.Loomis employees at their homes to make some extra money and to help when the factory is behind in production. It happens from time to time and this has been the case since they started over 25 years ago. The blanks are all marked for guide location and the guides are wrapped later. They are QC checked when the rods come back because the epoxy coating process takes places at the factory after those rods are wrapped.

Here's one video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGY0kplES0w

And another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA3Q9cpWhQo

And another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnNOXemdJGU

And another...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJaYd6DsMqY

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:58 am

I thought they were outsourced too.
The two I had both had guides slightly off center, sloppy wraps and bubbles in the epoxy. The reel seat failed on one of them after less than a year.. The other shortly after. The blanks are awesome but the build quality and qc is just not up to par. Outsourced or in house, it's just not acceptable considering their price. Unfortunate since I loved the feel and action.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:14 am

Bantam1 wrote:....The blanks are all marked for guide location and the guides are wrapped later. They are QC checked when the rods come back because the epoxy coating process takes places at the factory after those rods are wrapped.
Well, if this is the case, I certainly hope their QC dep't. is reviewed closely after this poor showing. If I were the one calling the shots, both the qc process and the employees would be put under a microscope. With these rods being the flagship of the company, I would do everything in my power to keep the company's name in high regard, and correct the problem before those rods get out the door in the first place. Of course, that's just one guy's opinion.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:17 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Bantam1 wrote:....The blanks are all marked for guide location and the guides are wrapped later. They are QC checked when the rods come back because the epoxy coating process takes places at the factory after those rods are wrapped.
Well, if this is the case, I certainly hope their QC dep't. is reviewed closely after this poor showing. If I were the one calling the shots, both the qc process and the employees would be put under a microscope. With these rods being the flagship of the company, I would do everything in my power to keep the company's name in high regard, and correct the problem before those rods get out the door in the first place. Of course, that's just one guy's opinion.
I think this is in the works from what I have been told.