Jig Rod Recomendation

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
MNBassin03
Angler
Angler

Re: Jig Rod Recomendation

Post by MNBassin03 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:34 am

njbasscat wrote:If I could only pick one for football jigs and pitching jigs, it would be NRX 894. Hands down the best 1/2 oz pitching jig rod I've ever used. I personally like the 893 for just football jigs in deep water but the 894 will cover both techniques.
What size football jigs are you using with the 893?

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:43 pm

MNBassin03 wrote:
njbasscat wrote:If I could only pick one for football jigs and pitching jigs, it would be NRX 894. Hands down the best 1/2 oz pitching jig rod I've ever used. I personally like the 893 for just football jigs in deep water but the 894 will cover both techniques.
What size football jigs are you using with the 893?
3/4 oz most of the time

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:17 pm

I haven't used it but my next jig rod is going to be a 2018 7'3" H zbone, should be dope.
DavidSA wrote:3- zbone 7'3 xfast H----- prior model- this rod is really xfast. Needs FC to fish in shallow water. most sensitive of the three and I rank it last. I mention because performance to me is about more then just feel. Must be able to set hook and land and with braid this is not the best rod.
It sounds like they might of took some heat off the 2018 model. 3/8-1 1/2 with a Mod-fast action, instead of 7/16--1 1/2 oz with a xf action. Now I need one ](*,) then I'm done.

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:28 pm

This got off the reservation fast. OP’s budgets is $200-$300 and sure he can look for some screaming good deals on used rods here and on BBC but most of these rod suggestions are way over budget

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:00 pm

In that case look at the kistler 7'3" H or MH H3. I have a 7' Lt/MH h3 its very crisp. People are pretty high on the sensitivity of the shimano Expride series rods. Both under 300.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:28 pm

Obz wrote:I haven't used it but my next jig rod is going to be a 2018 7'3" H zbone, should be dope.
DavidSA wrote:3- zbone 7'3 xfast H----- prior model- this rod is really xfast. Needs FC to fish in shallow water. most sensitive of the three and I rank it last. I mention because performance to me is about more then just feel. Must be able to set hook and land and with braid this is not the best rod.
It sounds like they might of took some heat off the 2018 model. 3/8-1 1/2 with a Mod-fast action, instead of 7/16--1 1/2 oz with a xf action. Now I need one ](*,) then I'm done.
Pssh, yeah right. Everyone here knows that's a joke. Done... Ha!
This is the way.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:44 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Obz wrote:I haven't used it but my next jig rod is going to be a 2018 7'3" H zbone, should be dope.
Pssh, yeah right. Everyone here knows that's a joke. Done... Ha!
Can you explain more? I'm on here I don't.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:21 pm

:talk hand: :-$ :-k :idea: :doh:
This is the way.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:57 pm

Lol

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:31 am

I don't believe I've seen anyone post about the new zbone 7'3 and that is a shame. If it is better then the older model with just a little bit less heat in the tip then indeed it would be the bomb.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm

MCROUT14 wrote:Alpha Angler Zilla? A lot of people say they're really good rods.

https://www.alphaangler.com/products/al ... ishing-rod

Evergreen Combat Stick 73MH?

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Evergre ... -COMX.html
The Zilla is a sweet rod. For jigs like this, I would go up to the Hitter. It has a sweet taper/power for deeper water jigs

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:40 am

Really simple answer if you have the budget get an 893 or 894. If you don't like long rods or will underhand pitch to docks and stuff get the 853 or 854. Everyone has different tastes to me the Loomis 3 powers handle up 3/8 and 1/2 oz jigs great but a lot of people really rod up when they jig, so if that's you grab a 4 power in your desired length.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:40 am

If you can find a deal on one, the St Croix 7'6" Medium Heavy Moderate Fast (MHMF) in either the Legend Tournament series or higher (Legend Elite/Xtreme) will fit you well. Long rod with some give to compensate with braid and enought bavkbone to use FC. I have used the rod for lighter punching and I never had problems ripping hooks from fishes mouths. It's sensitive and got a good warranty too.

St Croix doesnt get much talk compared to other rods om this site but, they make good rods.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:20 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:If you can find a deal on one, the St Croix 7'6" Medium Heavy Moderate Fast (MHMF) in either the Legend Tournament series or higher (Legend Elite/Xtreme) will fit you well. Long rod with some give to compensate with braid and enought bavkbone to use FC. I have used the rod for lighter punching and I never had problems ripping hooks from fishes mouths. It's sensitive and got a good warranty too.

St Croix doesnt get much talk compared to other rods om this site but, they make good rods.
I agree, the ST. Croix Rods are underrated. Heavily underrated.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mthao105 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:17 pm

The Dobyns Extreme 784c is a great football jig rod. It has the right tip to crawl the jigs over structure and the action to keep the fish pinned. I actually prefer it to my nrx 893c when it comes to football jigs particularly because of the action.