Rod Shipping

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Rod Shipping

Post by smallies » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:45 pm

I have been shipping rods across the United States for the last 10 years, and have never paid more than about $40 to ship a rod. I went to my local UPS today, which I have probably shipped 15-20 rods from, and usually pay about 30-40$. They told me it would cost $251 to UPS ground ship a rod, cheap as possible. I walked out, and went to FexEx. They told me it would be $192 to ground ship the rod. I left there as well. I have never seen anything near those numbers... It was a standard TW rod tube. Have you guys experienced anything like that recently?

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rod Shipping

Post by chreim20 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:16 pm

Yes, actually today, I went to ship a rod through FedEx and it was crazy high, like well over a $100. However, I cut the tube down as far as possible and got an estimate through USPS and it was $20. I think when you get over 90 inches for the l x w x h then they start charging a lot more, like a surcharge or something. As much business these shipping companies are getting with all the online shopping and low fuel costs, you'd think the price would stay steady or even drop. I feel your pain, lol ](*,)

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:09 pm

Those guys are not doing the measuremts correctly . I live in California and if I go fed ex and ship a rod (2” pvc ) to Texas it cost me $20 with insurance. If I ship to Florida For instance it will run me $32. Usps to Florida will be $26... UPS is the ultimate ripoff . Fed ex surprisingly as of late has been pretty darn fair for me and a guarantee the rod gets there in one piece .

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:43 pm

Shipped three rods in a 3" x 87 inch pvc tube from Vegas to Fl this week via Fed EX. $36 with $499 insurance (rods are worth way more, but hedging by bets). Gauranteed 4 business day delivery. Well worth the cost to fish with my own stuff.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:36 am

Everything is expensive and getting worse
I was thinking about a new boat. That was a bad idea.
As far as shipping rods I ship in pvc tubes and I pay for then
added weight to ensure the seller gets an undamaged but it does hurt the pockets
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:58 am

There are also the discounts given to volume shippers by robbing the little guy. Gotta find the green somewhere.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:26 am

Price increase for already way overpriced prices.
I wouldn't be surprised if soon an Express EMS shipping from Japan would cost cheaper than local ground shipping in US.
Cost of shipping of 1 piece rod from Japan by UPS is around ~$40, delivery - 3-4 business days.
Buy in Japan, get shipped directly from Japan!

2019 Shipping Carrier Rate Changes
eBay

UPS®, FedEx®, and USPS® announced their 2019 rate increases and the additional costs will affect your eBay business.

UPS rate changes went into effect December 26, 2018. They have increased an average of 4.9% across most services.

FedEx Express and FedEx Ground parcel movements increased by approximately 4.9% January 7, 2019.

USPS will be making the following changes January 27, 2019.

• USPS First Class packages are increasing an average of 11.9%*
◦ Note that USPS First Class Package Service pricing will change from a flat rate per ounce to zone-based pricing per ounce
• USPS Priority Mail increases an average of 5.9%*.
• Changes in weight distribution of packages will affect pricing on USPS packages starting in June.

CyYak_Fishing
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by CyYak_Fishing » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:03 pm

That happened to me once and after cutting down the tube, I was still getting quoted higher than normal at the the post office. Went online and was quoted much less using the Click-n-Ship option so I printed a label and went back to the same post office to drop off the rod, no questions asked. They couldn’t explain why their quote in-store didn’t match what I was quoted online. It’s the only way I ship rods now. :-s