Reel Seat Question

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Reel Seat Question

Post by smallies » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:27 pm

I'm looking at picking up an Expride sometime soon, and had a question about the reel seat. Is it comfortable? How does it compare to an ECS seat, and how does it compare to the new Megabass seat that you are seeing on a lot of their rods like the Orochi XX gen 2? It looks pretty similar to the Megabass seat to me, which is why I'm asking. Thanks in advance

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Reel Seat Question

Post by Revofisher » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:23 am

for my hands the expride reel seat is super comfortable one of the best ive held so far. Im a taller guy and have basketball hands so its hard to find that it factor with rods in the reel seat area. I used to have quite a few of the 17 megabass destroyer and a few xx rods old models and new gen. I loved the rods but sadly the thin diamater of the handle and the grip didnt work for me which i hated because the blanks performed great. took me a while of pondering before i sold them. The expride definitely gives you more trigger to hold onto unlike the megabass reel seat and has a soft touch coating which is nice. The expride is definitely more comparable to the ecs seat than the megabass. another plus with the exprides reel seat is for me anyhow the ability to stay locked down once a reel is on the rod i have never had to tighten it back down on the expride rods. a friend who bought the majority of my megabass rods has smaller hands and loves that seat and lack of trigger on the rod, so i guess it depends on how you palm your set ups and how much trigger you want on the reel seat that will determine which is more comfortable.

the exprides also have a thin cork diameter as so does the new xx rods but the reel seat if big hand friendly on the exprides a bit more in my opinion.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:15 pm

I find them comfortable enough. If I had to explain, I would say it's a cross between an ACS and PTS. Smaller taper towards the rear like the ACS. Wider taper in the front like the PTS. If you fish with 3 fingers in front of the trigger, it should work for you.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:49 am

smallies wrote:I'm looking at picking up an Expride sometime soon, and had a question about the reel seat. Is it comfortable? How does it compare to an ECS seat, and how does it compare to the new Megabass seat that you are seeing on a lot of their rods like the Orochi XX gen 2? It looks pretty similar to the Megabass seat to me, which is why I'm asking. Thanks in advance
From the other thread it sounds like we have very similar likes when it comes to a reel seat. My favorite is the plain jane ECS seat. I just recently sold an Expride rod. I thought the seat was just as comfortable and found nothing about it that bothered me when fishing. The trigger is a bit wider at the base but I didn’t notice with how the seat is shaped. My normal grip is 3 fingers in front and my pinky behind. I used it all day on a guided trip I took and had no discomfort. Hopefully this will help you out a bit.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:47 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:
smallies wrote:I'm looking at picking up an Expride sometime soon, and had a question about the reel seat. Is it comfortable? How does it compare to an ECS seat, and how does it compare to the new Megabass seat that you are seeing on a lot of their rods like the Orochi XX gen 2? It looks pretty similar to the Megabass seat to me, which is why I'm asking. Thanks in advance
From the other thread it sounds like we have very similar likes when it comes to a reel seat. My favorite is the plain jane ECS seat. I just recently sold an Expride rod. I thought the seat was just as comfortable and found nothing about it that bothered me when fishing. The trigger is a bit wider at the base but I didn’t notice with how the seat is shaped. My normal grip is 3 fingers in front and my pinky behind. I used it all day on a guided trip I took and had no discomfort. Hopefully this will help you out a bit.
Yeah it sounds like we really do. This is the exact reply I was looking for. Was there something performance related about the rod that you didnt like, that caused you to sell it?

Thanks for the replies fellas.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:29 pm

I like it a lot. But to me, the best reel seat ever created is what's on the hyuga. I wish every brand could use it.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:31 am

SSS wrote:I like it a lot. But to me, the best reel seat ever created is what's on the hyuga. I wish every brand could use it.
It funny how this works. I'm not picky at all when it comes to reel seats but find that the Hyuga seat is far from ideal. With a reel fitted the there is a large gap between the seat and hood. This gap is right where my index finger rests on the seat when palming. While it is not painful it is an annoyance and I have to extend my index finger and place it on the side of the blank or wrap it around the reel's face plate.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:58 pm

smallies wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:
smallies wrote:Yeah it sounds like we really do. This is the exact reply I was looking for. Was there something performance related about the rod that you didnt like, that caused you to sell it?
No, not at all. It was a very nice rod. I bought the rod to be paired with a Curado DC and I sold the reel, so I the rod had to go also.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:22 pm

Rippin-lips wrote:
smallies wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:
smallies wrote:Yeah it sounds like we really do. This is the exact reply I was looking for. Was there something performance related about the rod that you didnt like, that caused you to sell it?
No, not at all. It was a very nice rod. I bought the rod to be paired with a Curado DC and I sold the reel, so I the rod had to go also.

Sweet, good to hear.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:29 pm

LowRange wrote:
SSS wrote:I like it a lot. But to me, the best reel seat ever created is what's on the hyuga. I wish every brand could use it.
It funny how this works. I'm not picky at all when it comes to reel seats but find that the Hyuga seat is far from ideal. With a reel fitted the there is a large gap between the seat and hood. This gap is right where my index finger rests on the seat when palming. While it is not painful it is an annoyance and I have to extend my index finger and place it on the side of the blank or wrap it around the reel's face plate.
i palm my reels with all my fingers (excluding thumb of course lol) being in the front part of the reel's seat trigger. The hyuga's reel seat is absolutely amazing for the way i palm.