What rods compare to a NRX 852c ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

What rods compare to a NRX 852c ?

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi all,

I think I am pretty much set on the NRX 852c for jerkbaits and shakey heads. Since the rod model is quite old, I am wondering what other rods are out there that would compare to the quality of the NRX 852c ?

I am pairing the rod with a Abu MGEXTREME 2 and 10# straight fluro.

THanks!

nd1225
Angler
Angler

Re: What rods compare to a NRX 852c ?

Post by nd1225 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:01 am

Kistler Z-Bone

http://www.kistlerrods.com/store/fishin ... DyyEFxKjIU

Currently out of stock, but keep an eye on em, I'm sure Trey will have some more soon

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:10 am

Quality wise, Dobyns HP 702 would match up - it is made in China though. Dobyns will balance better, but the NRX will be more sensitive and slightly lighter. Haven't tried the Xtasy but early reports are good.

I've heard/read great things about the Z-Bone line, but refuse to give Trey any more of my money on principle.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:47 pm

78Staff wrote:Quality wise, Dobyns HP 702 would match up - it is made in China though. Dobyns will balance better, but the NRX will be more sensitive and slightly lighter. Haven't tried the Xtasy but early reports are good.

I've heard/read great things about the Z-Bone line, but refuse to give Trey any more of my money on principle.
Thanks for your opinion!

Yeah, I got the Dobyns Xtasy DRX 753c as another option to the NRX 852c recommended. I have one of the new Z-Bones (Zbone 4 Med-Hvy 7' 6" Casting). It is a nice rod. Very sensitive and super light (3.7oz).

I would like to try out the mighty NRX for this kind of technique since it is supposed to be still the most sensitive rod on the US domestic market. I would be open to a XTASY (other rod) if they are a better fit for my technique (focus on shakey heads and weightless plastics).

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:23 pm

I second that about the zbone, that’s the only other line that I’ve liked almost as much as my nrx rods. I was using the 852c for shaky heads but wasn’t having the greatest hookup ratio. It’s a very soft rod. I ended up gettin a 893 and have a better hookup ratio. I fish 3/16 to 5/16 shakyheads on it. I mostly throw treble baits and scrounger heads on my 852. It’s A great vision 110 rod, especially wit a lightweight reel. I have a alde mgl on mine

nd1225
Angler
Angler

Post by nd1225 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:14 am

http://tackletour.com/reviewkistlerzb3lmh73.html

Here is tackle tour review on the new Z bone, I have a 4 power and a 2 power. I use the 2 power for weightless, drop shot and shakey heads.

nd1225
Angler
Angler

Post by nd1225 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:18 am

I also like Dobyns, just haven't tried the new series yet. But if you like the NRX's man, just go with that. To a certain degree when you get to quality gear, personal preference becomes a big factor. It's like the Daiwa vs Shimano debate. What's better a Steez or an Aldi, when in actuality, they're both DANG good reels. :D

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:20 am

I had the 852c for years. It is great for jerkbaits and shakyheads. I didnt do any deep water bottom contact with mine but, I never had a problem with hooksets. It is a great all around medium casting rod. It can throw weightless worms, wakey rigs, jerkbaits, topwaters...pretty much anything 1/2oz and under.

I only sold mine because I built a Phenix K2 714 for Texas Rigs. After a couple months of trying the K2 for Texas Rigs, I cam to the conclusion that it didnt have the guts to handle the Texas rigs. That led me to sell the NRX 852c and have the K2 take its place and get a new Texas rig rod (the story of so many TackleTour users).

I wish I could have "functionally" kept the rod but, you know what they say "If you love it, let it go"
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:33 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:I had the 852c for years. It is great for jerkbaits and shakyheads. I didnt do any deep water bottom contact with mine but, I never had a problem with hooksets. It is a great all around medium casting rod. It can throw weightless worms, wakey rigs, jerkbaits, topwaters...pretty much anything 1/2oz and under.

I only sold mine because I built a Phenix K2 714 for Texas Rigs. After a couple months of trying the K2 for Texas Rigs, I cam to the conclusion that it didnt have the guts to handle the Texas rigs. That led me to sell the NRX 852c and have the K2 take its place and get a new Texas rig rod (the story of so many TackleTour users).

I wish I could have "functionally" kept the rod but, you know what they say "If you love it, let it go"
Thanks man for your thoughts!

How would you rate the 852c in terms of sensitivity for Shakey heads (which will be the main technique I will be using the rod for), how does it compare to the K2?

Thanks again!

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:40 pm

sensitivity doesnt get better. put something lightweight like an aldebaran on it and you will be spoiled for life.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:52 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:I had the 852c for years. It is great for jerkbaits and shakyheads. I didnt do any deep water bottom contact with mine but, I never had a problem with hooksets. It is a great all around medium casting rod. It can throw weightless worms, wakey rigs, jerkbaits, topwaters...pretty much anything 1/2oz and under.

How would you rate the 852c in terms of sensitivity for Shakey heads (which will be the main technique I will be using the rod for), how does it compare to the K2?

Thanks again!
Both are top notch. My K2 came in at 2.6oz so, I think it feels better in every way. The 852c has a tad bit more backbone. The K2 is more moderate in action.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:39 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:

Thanks again!
Both are top notch. My K2 came in at 2.6oz so, I think it feels better in every way. The 852c has a tad bit more backbone. The K2 is more moderate in action.
Thanks, will take a closer look at the K2! How does it handle jerkbaits? Planning to use the rod mainly for shakey heads (1/8-3/8) but also would throw a Vision 110 every now and then on it.

Thanks!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:06 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:

Thanks again!
Thanks, will take a closer look at the K2! How does it handle jerkbaits? Planning to use the rod mainly for shakey heads (1/8-3/8) but also would throw a Vision 110 every now and then on it.

Thanks!
Its fine for jerks. I dont throw Vision 110s. I do throw a variety of Rapala jerks and I have no problem. I also love in Northern Michigan so, I am not dealing with huge fish. Ive handled 4lb smallies on it. Fine for open water, wouldn't pitch to cover expecting the rod to really help me much.

It is a crisp rod that gives, which is good for jerks. It can also handle shakeyheads and other finesse plastics.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:19 am

Id go NRX over K2 any day. Main reason is the 3 K2 models I’ve owned didn’t want to stay in one piece :doh: while I’ve never broken an NRX or any other rod. Sounds like Hobie has been lucky, but I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone. Buyer beware, plenty of stories like mine are out there.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:58 am

I’d like to add that I really did like the K2 rods, which is why it’s so disappointing that they break. First K2 broke midcast on the 5th trip out casting a Pointer 78. Rebuilt the rod(don’t get me started on customer service either ](*,) ) and same thing, 5th trip or so and it breaks mid cast with a Flash Minnow 95. Still have the broken blanks as I’m pretty gun shy of trying to use these again. Also broke a 714, and have a 715 that hasn’t broken after a lot of use. If they could work out the issues, I’d have a bunch of these!

The model I used for jerkbaits was the 683c throwing up to 3/8oz jerkbaits(Pointer, Flash Minnow, Xrap). Perfect action for keeping jerkbait fish hooked up, very responsive so the tip isn’t bouncing around after every twitch, very light and sensitive. Not as versatile as the NRX, but I wouldn’t be throwing jerkbaits on an Xfast NRX either. 842c is a much better jerkbait rod, and would move up to the Conquest if it’s a technique you use a lot and enjoy.