Kistler He3 vs ALX Zolo

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
harrison_g711
Angler
Angler

Kistler He3 vs ALX Zolo

Post by harrison_g711 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:32 am

Looking to upgrade my Jig/T-rig rod and these 2 rods are my final choices.

Looking at the 7’1 MH X-Fast Kistler Helium 3 and the ALX Zolo Deputy (MH Fast).

Fishing open water and relatively light cover, 3/16 oz t-rigs and 3/8 oz and 1/2 jigs. Spinnerbaits in a pinch too which is why I’m leaving towards the deputy sincs it is more versatile I believe. I know people like a heavier rod for 1/2 jigs, but I’m looking to be able to throw 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz in the same rod.

The He3 is on sale for $221 right now while I would probably get a custom Deputy (change colors and WINN grips) for around 240-250.

Everybody says Kistler has very good blanks and great sensitivity, but that their customer service isn’t great and there warranty isn’t fantastic either. WhileI’ve already had a great experience with ALX Rods customer service.

Thanks, Harrison

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Kistler He3 vs ALX Zolo

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:02 am

First off, welcome to the forum. As to which is the better rod, the H3 is hands-down the better of those 2. It is lighter, less tip-heavy and more sensitive. Taking nothing away from the Zolo series, because they are solid rods all the way around. But the H3 is gonna be your best choice for jigs and any other bottom-contact techniques. And it should be fine for spinnerbaits, as well. It is definitely not a 1-trick pony, but I would personally go with the MH fast rod. It would still be great for jigs, and a littl better for tossing spinerbaits.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

harrison_g711
Angler
Angler

Re: Kistler He3 vs ALX Zolo

Post by harrison_g711 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:17 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:First off, welcome to the forum. As to which is the better rod, the H3 is hands-down the better of those 2. It is lighter, less tip-heavy and more sensitive. Taking nothing away from the Zolo series, because they are solid rods all the way around. But the H3 is gonna be your best choice for jigs and any other bottom-contact techniques. And it should be fine for spinnerbaits, as well. It is definitely not a 1-trick pony, but I would personally go with the MH fast rod. It would still be great for jigs, and a littl better for tossing spinerbaits.
Thanks for the welcome! This is mostly what I’ve seen from other people online and I think the He3 will be my choice in the end. Especially since they are on sale for $221 right now, that sounds like a steal from what I’ve read. Also I just realized that I accidentally created 2 of the same exact topic, my phone was acting weird last night and I think I accidentally submitted it twice lol

Thanks for your opinion! If you want to delete this topic since there’s another one out there already with some responses that’s fine, doesn’t matter to me if you take it down or leave it.