Daiwa Zillion Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Carruth8
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Zillion Rods

Post by Carruth8 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:02 am

Does anyone know if the Zillion rod series has been discontinued or if they are getting ready to release a new model? The Zillion rod is no longer listed on Daiwa's site & also noticed that TW does not have them listed either. I know that I'm opening a can of worms with this next question, but is there that big of a difference between the Tatula rod blank(the black & gold tatula) and the Zillion blank? I already have the old black & gold Tatula rod, but I've always liked the way the Zillion rods look. Would like to hear anyone's input on their personal experience with these rods before buying, IF I'm even able to find one. Thanks guys!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Zillion Rods

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:15 am

Yeah, they're discontinued. I'd say the blanks are the same, but the guides, grips, and reel seats are better and they're a little lighter, plus they had a lifetime warranty, better quality control (even though that was far from lacking in the Tatulas. Still, I saw a slightly bent blank or crooked guide on a couple.), and I think they look better. Also, they did have different lengths and actions not available in the Tatula line.

The Daiwa rod line I find most intriguing right now is the Kage series. They look really nice in pictures and on paper, but apparently only available through a handful of independent retailers, so I don't know how much they are or where to find them. I'd love to get my hands on one.
This is the way.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:06 pm

I saw a few of the Kage rods recently at Watsons Marine in Tennessee. I really didn't think they were that different from the new Tatula rods with the long cork grips. I was not particularly impressed, if I were looking for a rod that resembles the zillion series I would get a Cronos. I have a 7-3 MH and it is a really good rod, with a small diameter and small guides.

LonnieP
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by LonnieP » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:37 am

I have a Tatula and a zillion rod. In my hands I can’t tell much difference between the two. I also prefer the looks of the Zillion. Walmart.com has 2 Mh 7’3 Zillions in stock for 197.60.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:23 pm

I had the original Tatula 610 MH and the Zillion 7ft MH.

I didnt feel much of a difference between the 2 as far as sensitivity goes. I did find myself using the Tatula more. I really like the Tatula reel seat. The Zillion reel seat was also comfortable but, It was glossy and found it kinda slippery sometimes as well.

The regular Tatula is really the best bang for your buck rod you can get. They can be had for under $100. Shoot, even at MSRP they are hard to beat.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:08 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:I had the original Tatula 610 MH and the Zillion 7ft MH.

I didnt feel much of a difference between the 2 as far as sensitivity goes. I did find myself using the Tatula more. I really like the Tatula reel seat. The Zillion reel seat was also comfortable but, It was glossy and found it kinda slippery sometimes as well.

The regular Tatula is really the best bang for your buck rod you can get. They can be had for under $100. Shoot, even at MSRP they are hard to beat.
That's no joke. They're worth every penny of $150. They're super light, tough, respectably crisp and sensitive (even the glass models), great tapers, excellent reel seats and grips (I like the bigger butt grip on them vs the Zillions. Much more comfortable when casting or fighting a fish two handed). Plus, that was the most comprehensive and diverse line of bass rods I've ever seen. Short of BFS, they had a rod in that series for every thing you could think of, and probably things you can't. Glass composite, Solid tip spinning AND casting, a 721MHRB and a 711MHRB (still can't get my head around that one)...

I think that 610 MH/F might be my favorite one. AFAIK it's the lightest of the bunch. It's the lightest one I have, anyway. 3.7oz I think. And it's well balanced and versatile. Out of all of them it's the do everything rod. I like them all, but it's definitely a stand out. I also love the 721MHRB-Glass. In addition to cranks shallow to deep, and straight pull topwaters, it's a single hook moving bait fishing machine. In my collection, that is THE chatterbait stick.

I'll admit they're not very beautiful, but they are very functional. If you don't insist on having the best looking rod in the world, there's no reason not to get one or ten.
This is the way.